Regarding the blueprint revamp...

Reaction score
    The game will force us to build smaller because gigantic-ism sucks.
    I've played since August 2012 and for me bigger ships are what I build. Not just for the sake of a bigger ship, but as a means to survive as a smaller faction. It was also a means for power balance, since larger ships were naturally harder to kill it would allow me and my allies to help balance power if we saw unfair fights (for instance, a 10 man faction there for months attacking a 3 man faction there for 5 days). It was a means to break through heavy defenses and knock the arrogant off their high horse. Why? Because not everyone else is good at building ships. Some prefer to simply salvage, make bases, or manage people. Don't say something like "we all know gigantic-ism sucks" if you haven't talked to the people who use it as a tool for balance, nor remember the early days when there would tend to be a clusterfuck of wars between people with small ships. That's why some people turned to bigger ships in the first place: as a defense. Not all, but some.

The game is changing. The vast majority of players we see coming from steam will not see this as hard. They will see it as normal. They don't have old blueprints with superweapons on them to compare their current ships to. They will not understand your plight. You guys should be proud. When those new players come you will have the blueprints to some of the most powerful ships in the game.
    Until the cycle begins anew again, just at a slower rate. People, over time, will acquire bigger ships silently until they come forth from the shadows and obliterate all in their path. Then they'll be seen as OP dickhole fucktards by the newer people. Either that or some sort of "ship size limit" will be put in place, which more than likely will result in death cubes thanks to noobs and trolls. This doesn't fix anything. This system will perpetuate until somebody has the ultimate weapon and shreks everyone due to boredom. Either that or it'll simply turn into even more of a numbers game than it already is.[DOUBLEPOST=1417554510,1417554285][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Here's an idea- leave the server if it's just full of huge factions being jerks. This entire post is basically just whining that larger groups of people are more powerful. What were you expecting them to be? Weaker than some crappy faction with 3 members hiding out in the middle of intergalactic space?
    Set up a forum page outside the server on the dock! Even better, get yourself a whole forum from a website that gives you them for free! If you have 20 members, then at least try and hold them together through a single server wipe. You can't seriously be angry that another faction prepared better for server wipes than you, and that your members all left because you didn't even try to hold them together.

Learn to trade, learn to survive on your own with the lesser resources you can pull in that way, or your faction will die off. That's how it works. This isn't pansy land. It's not that difficult to get a decent set of ships up and running.
    See:
    Just so we're clear I honestly don't really care about this update. Was bored in class, had an idea, and decided to see what responses would pop up.

Honestly, the only real complaint I have about the recent changes would be what is already stated in a previous post about possibly either upping mining yields or requiring less resources not only to make building a bit easier, but to also lengthen the amount of time a faction has before it depletes the resources around it. Either that or the whole "spend faction points to respawn asteroids" thing needs to happen.

Does this contradict everything I previously stated? You bet. Do I care? Not really. I'm bored, that's why I play Starmade.

Reaction score
    Either that or it'll simply turn into even more of a numbers game than it already is.
    I just want to add. I don't play competitive multiplayer games because EVERY game that promotes competition between players becomes a numbers game. I don't know one game that's not stupid simple in mechanics that is not analyzed and exploited by the competitive players.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Don't say something like "we all know gigantic-ism sucks" if you haven't talked to the people who use it as a tool for balance
    The devs have made changes to directly combat this. Because there are no limits they want to force the player into making choices and scaling down the ships they build through game mechanics. The devs directly took steps to make it harder to use larger weapon based ships. Obviously giganticism is a thing the devs do not see as a practical way of playing. They mentioned that capital ship systems would come with major drawbacks. Why? Because most players capital ships are already loaded to the brim with shielding and a plethora of weapon systems. Add turrets to the top of that. OP much? Why would it be a bad thing to combat this.

There is an infinite universe. If you are so desperately trying to get away from a faction that wants to kill you, fly to the next galaxy over. Don't put down a homebase till you can defend it. Is that a pain? Sure. But what game hasn't come with spawn camping. If anything the fact that we can protect spawn sectors diminishes that problem.

Until the cycle begins anew again, just at a slower rate. People, over time, will acquire bigger ships silently until they come forth from the shadows and obliterate all in their path.
    If new players and old are attempting to build blueprints with the new system, then they both will be competing at the same level. Just because older players have BP's doesn't mean that they can get resources faster. You underestimate how fast new players will catch on. A new StarMade streamer by the name of LordDrow was building fairly large ships a few days into the game. Could he build bigger? You bet. He was hindered by resource acquisition.

Either that or some sort of "ship size limit" will be put in place, which more than likely will result in death cubes thanks to noobs and trolls.
    I see a ship size limit on MF and I haven't seen a deathcube in the entirety of my time spent there.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    All this talk of server this and server that...

What about single player?

"Oh, just buy the blocks You need from another player". What about single player?
    "Become the pirate and beat up other players for resources" What about single player?
    "Resource collecting is hard now. That's the point. This will keep players from dominating others in faction wars" What about single player?
    "This creates an incentive for players to join a group" What about single player?
    "You shouldn't be able to whip up a frigate and play competitively without some work" What about single player?

These changes are being looked at purely from an online only, competitive only, large scale only point of view. However, this game offers a single player mode, and has NPC good and bad guys, animal mobs (the spiders), and will some day have missions to take.
    Do You have any idea how lame the game could be with all this tryhard crap in it? Why should I have to bend over backwards to replace My fighter if I get shot down while doing a fetch quest for the trading guild? I already got shot down, I lost some credits and have to pay for a new ship, there could be other penalties as well. Why should I have to spend a day grinding away looking for / making parts, just so I can take another crack at that mission?

If I have to run a heavily modified config file and cheat with admin commands just to have a little fun, then the devs have failed hard at video game design.
    Check it out: I've been playing the same survival world in Minecraft for two years, and I've never felt the need to use admin commands or mods to accomplish anything. Well, I did cheat for the first time to weeks ago, as I was going through hell getting those new rabbits all the way from freshly-generated biomes back to My home, so I broke down, went online, and found out what to do to get rabbit spawn eggs.
    So yeah, after two years of solid survival, My only cheat was bunnies for My castle lawn, which I wouldn't even have to do if the game had some sort of "Update pre existing biomes with new native wildlife function".

The same can be said about all the other decent games I play: Work doesn't feel boring because it's fun, and fun isn't spoiled by the work.
    no mods. No cheats. No admin crap unless it's to fix a glitch (I'm looking at YOU, Skyrim).

But Fatty! When You buy a ship with credits, the blocks just come out of nowhere!"
    Well then, You better get right on to Schema about those pirates, cause' now when You shoot a pirate base, they instantly spawn in waves of ships. Out. Of. No. Where.
    Pirates. A bunch of slacker criminals flying around in stolen ships, living in patched up, run down stations, have an infinite supply vehicles. You do realize the infinite farming potential here, Right? What's to stop Me from knocking out the pirate base's turrets, then camping there in a noobcube with it's own turrets, doing the following:
    Shoot pirate base with cannon.
    Pirate base poofs ships in out of nowhere.
    My turrets kill pirate ships.
    I enter pirate ships, enter build mode, strip ship, re-enter My noobcube.
    repeat.
    Oh, but I can't buy in a ship in SP, because of the scary munchkins.

"Then just use admin commands if You're butthurt about SP, lunchbox".

A good game shouldn't require it's players to muck around with admin commands or mods.
    Hell, most players of this game are so dumb, They refuse to pay attention during the first tutorial, and are completely oblivious about build mode even existing. If You expect players to read the wiki about admin console, enter the game files, alter twenty flipping things in the server.cfg and blockxml, just to enjoy the game, I, well... For the sake of not having the Mods banhammer Me into the next decade, I'm just going to bite My tongue.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    But Fatty! When You buy a ship with credits, the blocks just come out of nowhere!"
    Well then, You better get right on to Schema about those pirates, cause' now when You shoot a pirate base, they instantly spawn in waves of ships. Out. Of. No. Where.
    Completely missed my point. But alright. I frankly do not see why you need single player to be different or easier than multiplayer. Because that is what you are asking for. Also you are commenting on an experience that you haven't even had yet. How could you possibly know how well or how bad things will work in the end. I am responding to a problem I see with comments in this thread. You pretty much just stated that the entire game would be ruined if these supposed changes were in place without seeing all the parts put in place yet. Let's at least handle one thing at a time?

Reaction score
    The devs have made changes to directly combat this. Because there are no limits they want to force the player into making choices and scaling down the ships they build through game mechanics. The devs directly took steps to make it harder to use larger weapon based ships. Obviously giganticism is a thing the devs do not see as a practical way of playing. They mentioned that capital ship systems would come with major drawbacks. Why? Because most players capital ships are already loaded to the brim with shielding and a plethora of weapon systems. Add turrets to the top of that. OP much? Why would it be a bad thing to combat this.

There is an infinite universe. If you are so desperately trying to get away from a faction that wants to kill you, fly to the next galaxy over. Don't put down a homebase till you can defend it. Is that a pain? Sure. But what game hasn't come with spawn camping. If anything the fact that we can protect spawn sectors diminishes that problem.
    It's a bad thing to combat something that somebody can always find a workaround for. Add limits to eliminate the workarounds and people tend to go with the next best thing that works, often in cube shape. Giganticism may not be practical in the eyes of the devs or people on servers that are more civilized, but it is in servers with people who are war-like. After all they still need a few frigates for defense since turn rates are slow and since turrets don't fire like snipers, which they used to. Capitals are not the be all end all because they already have existing flaws, no matter how many turrets you stick on it. If a pilot in a smaller ship is skilled enough he can wipe out the turrets from a distance because they won't have as much shields as the capital anyway. Besides, it's not like everyone just spawns one in whenever they feel like. Some of us spend months building, tweaking, and perfecting our designs. Also, I'm not saying everyone should go all capitals either. Capitals should be easier to acquire by building from scratch yet harder with blueprints and should be supported with a healthy variety of many ship types so that the game envelops more of a strategic perspective rather than "everyone get in a frigate and fight because we're all on equal ground now!" In my opinion capitals should also be artistic and relatively one of a kind. Shouldn't take more than 3 months to get one either. Before you go babbling off saying that giant ships are still an issue and are no way artistic too I have to say this: If you can only see things for the way that they are instead of what they could turn into, then you are in no way an artist and are hindering creativity. If you can only see things as how they happen and not how they can turn out then you are in no way a strategist and are blind.

As for the second part no claimed sectors means no mining bonus. No mining bonus means less resources, leading to less blocks and less effective defense systems.

If new players and old are attempting to build blueprints with the new system, then they both will be competing at the same level. Just because older players have BP's doesn't mean that they can get resources faster. You underestimate how fast new players will catch on. A new StarMade streamer by the name of LordDrow was building fairly large ships a few days into the game. Could he build bigger? You bet. He was hindered by resource acquisition.
    This makes no sense. You assume I'm attacking the new BP system. I'm not. In fact I couldn't care less since I build most of my ships from the base up. I'm talking about building ships in general, be it blueprint or from scratch. All it takes is time to get enough resources to build something bigger. Hell, if someone was smart they'd rip apart old, outdated ships they own and use that for pieces of a new, bigger ship. I don't underestimate new players to starmade, I'm referring to people who are new to a specific server and generally unaware that someone far away from them, maybe a galaxy or two over, are secretly building a megaweapon that they will soon unleash (which is why I build the ships I do, to combat people like that). As stated above capitals are, in some way, a problem, but they are also a means of defense and a form of personal expression if built from the imagination rather than simply bought in. Plus if we all fight in frigates then the strategy of having different sized vessels is out the window and another strategic layer of the game removed resulting in a "whoever has more people wins" game.

I see a ship size limit on MF and I haven't seen a deathcube in the entirety of my time spent there.
    *Smashes head on desk* So instead of coming up with a valid argument you decide to use a whitelisted server as a basis? Don't you realize some of those servers are whitelisted to prevent that kind of filth from going into them in the first place? (griefers and dicks aside as they have no place at this point of the argument) Besides, not everyone wants a ship size limit because not everyone thinks alike. It's like art: some people use paint, some use charcoal, some use pencils, some use pens, some use markers, some use watercolors. Some use easels, some use paper, and those who think outside of the box do things like paint a wall with whatever feeling they have or image in their head, even if they just take a brush and splatter it against the wall. Some cook and make beautiful plate presentations, and some sculpt either the most beautiful or most obscure thing people have seen. Do you want to hinder that? Or do you understand the artistic layer of this game as much as the strategic layer?

And, for the last time, I'm not arguing against the new BP system, but using it simply as a means to nearly eliminate large ships either won't work or will lose a lot of fanbase, especially veterans. Instead, the system should be implemented in a way to keep large ships around without coming close to removing them. It could be made in a way where they must be crafted by hand, yet resources are easier to get, because from my experience I can say that it can take months to complete. It could be made so that whether or not you can get a blueprint is determined by mass so that people can still buy their blueprinted frigates and the ship builders can still spend their time perfecting their capitals.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You can "technically" do this now by building a square of those unused blocks on a decreped (or whatever they are called) station and removing it. You get the scrap blocks you can them use to create other blocks with. Just make sure you don't remove the station and you have a constant source of scrap.
    I'm afraid that's a bug/exploit.

What about single player?

"Oh, just buy the blocks You need from another player". What about single player?
    "Become the pirate and beat up other players for resources" What about single player?
    "Resource collecting is hard now. That's the point. This will keep players from dominating others in faction wars" What about single player?
    "This creates an incentive for players to join a group" What about single player?
    "You shouldn't be able to whip up a frigate and play competitively without some work" What about single player?
    In single player you simply set BUY_BLUEPRINTS_WITH_CREDITS = true.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    whitelisted
    You clearly don't know then. All it takes to get whitelisted on MF is to post your IGN. Trolls and noobs have gone further in games such as minecraft to wreck havoc and grief. It would be incredibly easy for them to do so if that is the only requirement. MF has dealt with trouble makers before. But, again, I hardly see doomcubes there, and have not seen or heard about them as often as the rest of the communit likes to say.

Plus if we all fight in frigates then the strategy of having different sized vessels is out the window and another strategic layer of the game removed resulting in a "whoever has more people wins" game.
    I was never against the idea of capitals.

It's a bad thing to combat something that somebody can always find a workaround for. Add limits to eliminate the workarounds and people tend to go with the next best thing that works, often in cube shape. Giganticism may not be practical in the eyes of the devs or people on servers that are more civilized, but it is in servers with people who are war-like. After all they still need a few frigates for defense since turn rates are slow and since turrets don't fire like snipers, which they used to. Capitals are not the be all end all because they already have existing flaws, no matter how many turrets you stick on it. If a pilot in a smaller ship is skilled enough he can wipe out the turrets from a distance because they won't have as much shields as the capital anyway. Besides, it's not like everyone just spawns one in whenever they feel like. Some of us spend months building, tweaking, and perfecting our designs. Also, I'm not saying everyone should go all capitals either. Capitals should be easier to acquire by building from scratch yet harder with blueprints and should be supported with a healthy variety of many ship types so that the game envelops more of a strategic perspective rather than "everyone get in a frigate and fight because we're all on equal ground now!" In my opinion capitals should also be artistic and relatively one of a kind. Shouldn't take more than 3 months to get one either.
    90% of the things you said above I agreed with. The point, as you stated, was to make it harder for capitals. I am not against them. I plan on building my own. I want to build them and blow stuff up with them. It just shouldn't be easy.

Before you go babbling off saying that giant ships are still an issue and are no way artistic too I have to say this: If you can only see things for the way that they are instead of what they could turn into, then you are in no way an artist and are hindering creativity. If you can only see things as how they happen and not how they can turn out then you are in no way a strategist and are blind.
    Not gonna lie, I find this funny because you seem to think that I do not work on ships for the aesthetics. You also lectured me in a separate paragraph on artists and their preferred medium.

I graduated from college with a degree in art. Let's not lecture people on the forums please.

My original comment was concerning the fact that buying materials on a blueprint would spawn in blocks, something I know that the devs are against. They would not have implemented a harder system for acquiring things like weapons if there was such an easy workaround. A workaround that bypasses gathering AND processing those materials into blocks. That is a flaw with the suggestion and was what I was responding to. It had nothing to do with capital ships. Capital ship, small ships. It doesn't matter, allowing this flaw would be bad game design. I want to gather process and build my ships. Whats the point of shipyards if I can buy/spawn them?

I'd bet Calbiri, Schema, and anyone that talks about gameplay mechanics on the dev team already thought about partially buying ships with credits. There are things they have spoken about that would be absolutely game changing. It's their job to think of this stuff. I would count on it that they have thought out of a majority of the mechanics that will be in the final game. All that's left is for it to get coded in.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    White knighting BS
    We don't have the whole picture You say? Neither do the devs. That's why They have us playing the work in progress and giving honest feedback during the design phase.
    Do You have any clue what the testing and feedback process is like for game design? Do You honestly believe that the developers of some of the most successful titles out there had it all figured out from the start? That there were no unforeseen problems? Go do some reading on some of the behind the scenes stuff for any major title, it'll be full of various issues that the developers never thought of, until Their test players complained.
    Fun fact: Did You know that the test chambers in Portal were originally messy and cluttered, and not the sterile, clean things they are now? Yeah, as part of the original art aesthetic, the chambers were messy, and had a bunch of junk lying around. It looked neat, but there was a little problem: The play testers kept trying to use the wrong things to solve the puzzles. They would grab something that was there just for looks, and waste unacceptable amounts of time trying to use said item to get to the exit. They would then get upset, frustrated, annoyed, Etc, at the seemingly unsolvable puzzle.
    The devs realized that in a vague, no-idea-what's-going-on puzzle, having cool looking clutter was a major problem.
    I can just imagine of You were involved: "You guys quite complaining! You're all a bunch of dummies who don't know what You're talking about! Mighty lord Schema is a God amongst men, has seen the future, and already knows what works!"

Here's another one: In Mechwarrior Online, as a means of stopping all the jump-sniping going on, the devs at one point mad Your view shake violently during jump-jetting. I was fine with it, but many players starting complaining about motion sickness. The feature was removed, due to player feedback.

"Hur Dur, you just want easy mode".
    Oh good, it's everyone's favorite strawman argument:
    1st: Imply that only the highest level of challenge is fun and worthy.
    2nd: Accuse others of having invalid opinions because They just want things easier for Themselves.

You know what? Just because something's not the hardest thing ever, doesn't mean it's not hard at all. NO ONE here is asking for easy mode. What some of us are asking for is balance.

In single player you simply set BUY_BLUEPRINTS_WITH_CREDITS = true.
    If I have to run a heavily modified config file and cheat with admin commands just to have a little fun, then the devs have failed hard at video game design.

The same can be said about all the other decent games I play: Work doesn't feel boring because it's fun, and fun isn't spoiled by the work.
    no mods. No cheats. No admin crap unless it's to fix a glitch (I'm looking at YOU, Skyrim).

A good game shouldn't require it's players to muck around with admin commands or mods.
    Hell, most players of this game are so dumb, They refuse to pay attention during the first tutorial, and are completely oblivious about build mode even existing. If You expect players to read the wiki about admin console, enter the game files, alter twenty flipping things in the server.cfg and blockxml, just to enjoy the game, I, well... For the sake of not having the Mods banhammer Me into the next decade, I'm just going to bite My tongue.
    READING IS GOOD FOR YOU.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I'm pretty happy tbh, the likelihood of my computer dying from an 800k mass brick warping in has been severely diminished :D

Smaller ships are also a lot more fun to fly and fight with, not to mention the insane lag reduction ^_^. Hopefully we'll see more PvP, cause harvesting other ships is the best source of materials ;)

EDIT: Yes, despite building a super titan the biggest I ever use on servers is 58k mass. Above that is just too sluggish for me. The titan is just going to be my endgame (and I mostly build it for fun anyways)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    ou clearly don't know then. All it takes to get whitelisted on MF is to post your IGN. Trolls and noobs have gone further in games such as minecraft to wreck havoc and grief. It would be incredibly easy for them to do so if that is the only requirement. MF has dealt with trouble makers before. But, again, I hardly see doomcubes there, and have not seen or heard about them as often as the rest of the communit likes to say.
    Guess they're more common on other servers then, because I've seen quite a few in my time. Oddly enough, they're less common with Borg RPers.

90% of the things you said above I agreed with. The point, as you stated, was to make it harder for capitals. I am not against them. I plan on building my own. I want to build them and blow stuff up with them. It just shouldn't be easy.
    Well then, I apologize. Guess I just got flustered because of the people that want them eliminated completely. I disagree harshly with them. It's all I've done since I first started playing.

Not gonna lie, I find this funny because you seem to think that I do not work on ships for the aesthetics. You also lectured me in a separate paragraph on artists and their preferred medium.

I graduated from college with a degree in art. Let's not lecture people on the forums please.

My original comment was concerning the fact that buying materials on a blueprint would spawn in blocks, something I know that the devs are against. They would not have implemented a harder system for acquiring things like weapons if there was such an easy workaround. A workaround that bypasses gathering AND processing those materials into blocks. That is a flaw with the suggestion and was what I was responding to. It had nothing to do with capital ships. Capital ship, small ships. It doesn't matter, allowing this flaw would be bad game design. I want to gather process and build my ships. Whats the point of shipyards if I can buy/spawn them?

I'd bet Calbiri, Schema, and anyone that talks about gameplay mechanics on the dev team already thought about partially buying ships with credits. There are things they have spoken about that would be absolutely game changing. It's their job to think of this stuff. I would count on it that they have thought out of a majority of the mechanics that will be in the final game. All that's left is for it to get coded in.
    Funny, I'm going for Culinary so I have to focus on both the art and science of it. Once again, lashed out because of other arguments over capitals not being aesthetically pleasing/too big/too powerful/distasteful. As you can tell, I don't like people bashing because of the creative parts capitals still hold. Guess I jumped the gun and assumed you were one of them.

I have no problem with the system besides the lack of resources and the amount of time it takes to gather them. Sitting at a planet for 6 hours? I'm fine with that. Just give me a little more than a 6x bonus please, I have other things I need to do too. I'd rather sit and salvage one planet for 6 hours to get enough resources for roughly 10k each for essential ship parts (thrust, power, shields) plus some capsules than go to 5 planets in 5 different systems for 6 hours per planet. I also wasn't implying that they shouldn't make changes to the game, in fact I'm more mad about the way people are reacting and either leaning towards "embrace with open arms without a care in the world" or "completely deny the legitimacy behind why this is being implemented." I'm hoping instead people figure out some sort of balance between so we can all continue trolling, screwing off, and building ridiculous things.

Edit: Forgot to mention this is with a 2.8k mass salvager. Brings me down to 1-4 frames because of the blue salvage boxes that appear.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    We don't have the whole picture You say? Neither do the devs. That's why They have us playing the work in progress and giving honest feedback during the design phase.
    And so who are we to speculate on things that, as I have stated in previous posts, have not experienced yet. My comment was in regards to the suggestion that would alter the MOST RECENT change to the game. If the devs haven't got a clue to how things will work out, then we as the players shouldn't even talk until features are in the game and we can get a handle on them I would like to mention however that some features are in the dev build for less than a few days before being pushed to stable. Surely if it was so broken, it wouldn't be happening so fast? The only thing in recent memory that needed a second look was crafting.

"You guys quite complaining! You're all a bunch of dummies who don't know what You're talking about! Mighty lord Schema is a God amongst men, has seen the future, and already knows what works!"
    There are plenty of things that I think schema should change. I do not think he is perfect, as is nobody. That does not mean I do not appreciate what he does for this game. He is quite talented. Next time lets not put words in my mouth. I clearly do not act like that and it is an exaggerated "quote". I find it rude.

"Hur Dur, you just want easy mode".
    If you can't quote me without pulling actual things I've said from my posts and instead go through with making me look like an idiot, then this will be the last time I respond to you. Especially after the "white knight BS" that I supposedly said. I'm here to have an intelligent conversation. Not to get mocked for differing views.

1st: Imply that only the highest level of challenge is fun and worthy.
    2nd: Accuse others of having invalid opinions because They just want things easier for Themselves.
    I never implied that only the highest level of challenge is fun and worthy. I stated that getting capital ships should be A challenge. I stated that spawning in blocks for blueprints should never happen. I never said someone's opinion is invalid because there are a few here that I read and respected and even agreed with.

This is the issue. This is a sandbox. We have rules. Here is a list of them

Modules and their functions have specific rules.
    Module/ship slaving system is a rule
    Weapon mechanics is a rule.
    Docking has rules that can be bent.

If we want to balance this game perfectly we need to make changes to these:

Build size is determined by what a computer can handle, not the game itself.
    Few modules require percentages to be matched in order to achieve a decent efficiency.
    There is no limit to what quantity of a material or system that can be placed on a ship and there are no drawbacks (yet. capital ship systems excluded)
    There is also no reason to build a ship designed for a specific role, and can therefore be built for a jack-of-all-trades purpose.
    There are no restrictions on build shape.

Obviously some things here are bad things to change. It is what has made the game what it is today. There are also things here we can adjust that would allow for a better experience. For example. After surpassing a certain percentage, weapon systems could loose efficiency and therefor other systems or even aesthetics could take the place of what would be useless blocks resulting in less min/maxing and more of a focus on overall design. It's a suggestion. Maybe a dev will read it. Did I help the game now? I threw in my opinion about something and maybe the game will benefit from it. 90% of this forum is dedicated to suggestion threads in hopes that the game will be better because of what the players want. This here is a thread that has turned out some interesting results. I took a part of it. So please don't say that I do not know how game design works. We are all here providing feedback. Nobody is talking here just for the conversation.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    God sometimes I think we are all really freaking dumb. Like the things we say to each other, or how arrogant everyone is about everything is just really really dumb. There is a toxicity that is building up in this community.

We need to get over our own selves and realize that the developers have put a lot of thought into the things they want to accomplish. Schema has released changes to the game (aside from the first crafting update) that really have only made the game better. We still do not have all the pieces, we have hardly tested a feature. No we aren't bashing on the one that was released today, but I think we should all calm down.

Everyone on this thread is "I think I'm right, here is a logical argument. Oh you have a different view? LOL"

Frankly, and we shall see what happens, but I think regardless of the current community, steam will decide the fate for this game. How important will you be when hundreds of thousands of players pick up this game?

Star Made's problem: People who A.) Treat the game like a ship editor and post on the forums and B.) People who just post on the forums.

Also, buying with blocks is a good idea. It may limit creativity, but honestly, ship building is second to gameplay. This makes it so people have to go out and gather resources more and fight over blueprints more. It's been a small amount of time since this was released, honestly. Give it a chance

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Star Made's problem: People who A.) Treat the game like a ship editor and post on the forums and B.) People who just post on the forums.

Also, buying with blocks is a good idea. It may limit creativity, but honestly, ship building is second to gameplay. This makes it so people have to go out and gather resources more and fight over blueprints more. It's been a small amount of time since this was released, honestly. Give it a chance
    Yes. It can be adjusted. Calbiri went through the effort to redo all the crafting twice. I think they are willing to make further improvements if the game has some bad designs.

Reaction score
    Except the people who build doom cubes wont put in the effort to mine for supplies either...

Plus it's easier to acquire 100 decorative computers than 40,000 cannons

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm with OP. I do lots of interiors in my ships and tend to use a wide range of blocks, I have yet to even bother building some sort of uber ship of death. Hell my current project doesn't have a single weapon on it. Trying to run around and craft/purchase all the bits and pieces to ever use for a pleasure cruiser would be a gigantic waste of time since someone's probably just going to shoot it down for giggles. Maybe on a single player Real Man mode, sure it would be fun. Not so much when playing with others.

That said, plenty of people in this thread have suggested viable fixes/solutions and as long as the system isn't left as is (which it probably won't), than I have no problems.[DOUBLEPOST=1417582902,1417582266][/DOUBLEPOST]

Sorry but i have to disagree completely. Limiting creativity is a horrible idea, one of the big draws in Starmade is never knowing what you are going to see another person piloting. Or what has been created as a base. Gameplay that encourages using as few different/extra blocks as possible would also make things incredibly boring. Take a look at Archeage if you want to see what happens when people are at each others throats over resources, it's not a happy environment.

Personally I like the paying a shipyard to construct it idea, and having it cost a lot more with supplied blocks taking off from the final cost.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm with OP. I do lots of interiors in my ships and tend to use a wide range of blocks, I have yet to even bother building some sort of uber ship of death. Hell my current project doesn't have a single weapon on it. Trying to run around and craft/purchase all the bits and pieces to ever use for a pleasure cruiser would be a gigantic waste of time since someone's probably just going to shoot it down for giggles. Maybe on a single player Real Man mode, sure it would be fun. Not so much when playing with others.

That said, plenty of people in this thread have suggested viable fixes/solutions and as long as the system isn't left as is (which it probably won't), than I have no problems.[DOUBLEPOST=1417582902,1417582266][/DOUBLEPOST]

Sorry but i have to disagree completely. Limiting creativity is a horrible idea, one of the big draws in Starmade is never knowing what you are going to see another person piloting. Or what has been created as a base. Gameplay that encourages using as few different/extra blocks as possible would also make things incredibly boring. Take a look at Archeage if you want to see what happens when people are at each others throats over resources, it's not a happy environment.

Personally I like the paying a shipyard to construct it idea, and having it cost a lot more with supplied blocks taking off from the final cost.
    Yeah, one of the big draws is seeing what other people have built. And them seeing it spawn again. And again. And again, drowning you in a sea of sexy ships because crafting is too hard and they would do with with credits instead. Gameplay works off of actual gameplay - fighting, exploring, taking people's stuff, etc. Not admiring a ship that was built with no effort.

Reaction score
    To help alleviate problems with rare decorative items, shops in a system could replenish blocks less randomly, replacing more of the ones that are low, and moving blocks from one shop to another nearby shop. If empty, they could also direct you to a shop with that item in stock, and let you order blocks from other shops for a fee and shipping time(reserved so you don't get sniped). No blocks from nowhere, and more ease of getting decorative blocks. Finding shops with the scanner could help as well.

Reaction score
    I have an idea for a compromise that eliminates the problem of not being able to build an ENTIRE SHIP because you lack a few unimportant decorative blocks.

The idea is to have two kinds of block in the blueprint - required blocks and option blocks. All system, weapon, shield and power blocks would automatically be required blocks, you MUST have them for the ship to build. However we could have it so that decorative blocks are optional. If you have them in inventory it will use them automatically but if you don't have them and they're not important for the ship, it can just make the ship without them so at least you have a ship.

This would be the same as having an alternate blueprint which is only made of essential blocks and doesn't contain the decorative blocks, except also you could include decorative blocks in a blueprint while not having them hold up a build. Because seriously it isn't logical to cancel an entire ship just because you're missing a few light bulbs or something.

Reactions: Majorfatboy
    Reaction score
    More or less, the system is actually a viable, fun system. I was someone who was completely against the idea of "Buy with Blocks" in general, but they found a way that more or less negated the few qualms I had with Buy With Blocks. My problem? Inventory. Sometimes people make ships with more blocks than the inventory can contain. Even with the stacking, that was still a problem. Now? No problem, the items go into the blueprint. Although I did find a bug in this: If something has a damaged ship core when you put it as part of the catalogue, it seems not to allow for the creation of the ship. That bug can be fixed. But I digress. This new system lends more realism than the old Buy With Credits option, which just spawned a ship out of air, as if you were Edward Elric and using alchemy on your credits to turn them into your ship. Now at least you've got to go through the work of gathering the parts. Sure, some ships are harder to make, but this game heavily encourages multiplayer. On single player? It'll take more time, but you don't generally have to worry about such things as causing the entire server to lag with your miner, aesthetics, or much of anything else. If I wanted to, I could go on single player and play for weeks and weeks on end, gathering gear for the creation of the UNSC Infinity piggy backing a Covenant Assault Carrier with a huge death cube miner that would have the sole purpose of just gathering things. Doing the work in the long run makes the creation of that UNSC Infinity hugging an Assault Carrier all the more satisfying. The game is harder. I like that. I play on RP Servers, not build servers. The game being harder in the way it is lends more to immersing myself into the RP. One server that is now gone, Epoch of Desolation, had a grand idea. Shields, Cannons, any Beam types, and Damage Pulse equipment was basically hard as could be to obtain. You had to be really lucky or work hard. The server died because it had a lack of interest. Now the game fits more with how Epoch was originally set up. Things are hard to obtain. You need to work. You're playing a game, making friends or whatever, but you're still working. Your brain is running to formulate new ideas, figure out new means of production, increase gathering speeds, etc. But you're having fun. I honestly didn't read much of this topic, but from what I did read (which was pages 1-3 and page 6, and I'm not really going to reference anything from those pages directly), people don't like this new system because it's a major change. It's also one of the intended features of the game. I'm not saying embrace it, and I'm not saying scorn it. Try the feature, it's a changeable one. Schema, Calbiri, and all the developers are working on this project to make the game be close to what they envisioned, and we're helping to make it profitable in the long run. We're giving feedback on features they think would work, but there are many features that would link with what is being made, and we're basically just doing bug testing for them until those features are implemented, but we're also enjoying an amazing game while doing what is the equivalent of work, some for free, others not for free. Both sides are giving feedback. Everyone is reporting bugs in some way if possible. I know I alert a couple of the guys who can post bug reports whenever I find something (too lazy to find out how to report them myself). Just play the game. Give feedback, shut up about doom cubes, play the game, find bugs, report the bugs, make the game better by giving suggestions and showing your opinion in a respectful manner.