Regarding the blueprint revamp...

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Okay, one entire day playing the game with the new system and this is all I have to say :

This game is going to get the "jerk mood" Tibia has. You work one hard month in order to see your capital ship rising, and then a doom cube kills it, and you're done.
    Just like Tibia, when you get killed you lose like 10 levels when you are high-level. Frustrating.

Also I just figured that the salvaging is still slow, need bigger ships to have a reliable one.
    I was wrong when I was talking about the newbies. This whole day only salvaging stuff is making me SO BORED that I'm considering quitting myself.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It forces us all to become friends just to get a decent ship. What if the faction only has 6 people and wishes to be independent? How will they be able to defend themselves from 50+ people for mentioning that they hate cats?
    Uhh... large factions didn't accumulated might and infuence by the power of Grey Skull. They became friends and saved up to get a decent ship. Independent does not gives a faction any special status.
    Hysteric blabber
    What is your suggestion? Keep it as it were? Wasn't it the same but worse? What has changed so dramatically that took off the power away from smaller factions? What does it takes for smaller faction to stand toe-to-toe with large factions? What was the balancing factor? Credits?

Reaction score
    Our personal experiences with a specific server plays no role in development of the game as a whole.
    True, but this can also happen anywhere at any time unless the server is whitelisted given enough time and the wrong people.

Territory is currently is almost identical in value. Planets can be found anywhere. Galactic cores has no special meaning aside from pathetic names.
    They have more systems around them with planets, essentially meaning more resources in less space compared to the more spread out galactic "arms"

I don't see such thing happening. In most cases large factions prefer to meddle with another large factions, whereabouts of random small factions is no interest for them.
    The only meddling I've seen is with the only large faction not allied with the others.

There's about 4 to 6 shops in every given system, void or not. You just have to look for them. Your unwilling to use conventional engines to travel is not developer's concern. Mining asteroids and visiting stations/planets without jump drives makes finding shops easy.
    I tend to travel a lot with conventional thrusters and fail to see shops around where I am.

I am? Maybe I'm just not the one, who should meddle with larger factions on my own accord?
    I've noticed threats over relatively negligible things. Anyone large can do it easily and with no worries, hence this argument.

Because people want to be well defended and have a firm stance, meaning most of those resources go towards that.

That depends on the activity rate of those players. What you see in Tab over time means much more, than what you see in Faction hub. And no, larger factions has same difficulties with blocks now, since their domination were provided with nothing but longer time saving on credits. They had no reason to save on blocks. It's possible they're building their first serious factory this very moment. All they might rely on now is ships that they already have.
    Yes, but some smaller factions were already struggling to have a good ship. Plus if they already have a factory set up then they already have the resources needed to spawn in more while others have to struggle for it through salvage or trade.

Reaction score
    What is your suggestion? Keep it as it were? Wasn't it the same but worse? What has changed so dramatically that took off the power away from smaller factions? What does it takes for smaller faction to stand toe-to-toe with large factions? What was the balancing factor? Credits?
    Just so we're clear I honestly don't really care about this update. Was bored in class, had an idea, and decided to see what responses would pop up.

Honestly, the only real complaint I have about the recent changes would be what is already stated in a previous post about possibly either upping mining yields or requiring less resources not only to make building a bit easier, but to also lengthen the amount of time a faction has before it depletes the resources around it. Either that or the whole "spend faction points to respawn asteroids" thing needs to happen.

Does this contradict everything I previously stated? You bet. Do I care? Not really. I'm bored, that's why I play Starmade.

Reactions: BraveSteelDragon
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes, but it's the tool you use to amass wealth by buying in actual well-crafted ships from singleplayer.
    That's what it used to be. Not anymore.

A well-crafted ship is not a "wealth", it's an actual practical resourse. Being built single-player or multi-player doesn't make much difference now. You had unlimited blocks in SP and fairly large quantities of credits in MP (well not on every server, but still unlimited blocks makes difference). Now it's better to build in MP since you are aware real-time of your capabilities. Unless you just want to show-off, that is.
    This niche stuff only lasts for so long before EVERYONE has EVERYTHING. Like right now, my faction members are all TRILLIONAIRES in terms of amassed materials and we have enough materials to make at least 10000 of every block in the game.
    Good for you. Use it well, because you'd be surprised how easy it is to part with them. 10k blocks doesn't impress me that much now.

Honestly, the only real complaint I have about the recent changes would be what is already stated in a previous post about possibly either upping mining yields or requiring less resources not only to make building a bit easier, but to also lengthen the amount of time a faction has before it depletes the resources around it. Either that or the whole "spend faction points to respawn asteroids" thing needs to happen.
    So far resources are unlimited. Planets, stations and asteroids are all respawn each restart.

My only complaint, again, is asteroid distribution. When I think "Well well well, isn't this an even better timing for server reset than the new Universe was?" I always stumble into the fact, that some stuff will still be harder to come by.

Losing a Titan in combat actually matters now. A huge lot.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    How did you earn credits in the past?
    Killing pirates after making the first frigate/cruiser (depends on the server, the one i used to play had reasonably strong pirates), this one obtained by salvaging ice crystals.

The point is : No matter how busy my life is (college+job), even playing only like 45mim~1h per day, I would still be a worthy player. Now things are way harder. Starmade has became time-hungry now, and that is the same reason why I quitted MMOs

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Summary of the last page: Teamwork is OP

Reaction score
    So far resources are unlimited. Planets, stations and asteroids are all respawn each restart.

My only complaint, again, is asteroid distribution. When I think "Well well well, isn't this an even better timing for server reset than the new Universe was?" I always stumble into the fact, that some stuff will still be harder to come by.

Losing a Titan in combat actually matters now. A huge lot.
    I understand that resources are unlimited, but I feel it also shouldn't take 10 planets to make one decent frigate. I'm sure some people don't want to go a galaxy or two over for resources either. Once again the issue is time. Also, by restart do you mean a map wipe? At that point everyone has to start again anyway. Planets, stations, and asteroids do not respawn otherwise.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I understand that resources are unlimited, but I feel it also shouldn't take 10 planets to make one decent frigate.
    I'm just curious (because I mostly build by admin command on singleplayer) are you mining with the faction bonuses also? I remember when we got that update the bonus for faction territory mining is 6x and general owned territory is 3x. That bonus seems pretty damn good.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm just curious (because I mostly build by admin command on singleplayer) are you mining with the faction bonuses also? I remember when we got that update the bonus for faction territory mining is 6x and general owned territory is 3x. That bonus seems pretty damn good.
    It does, yes, but it still means you need to mine a couple of planets to get one small frigate.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    A lot of what I am seeing here is that "It's hard to acquire the resources here for the thousands of weapons on my spaceship."

That's the point...

The devs changed values so it was more expensive to get offensive weaponry and shielding on a ship.

You guys need to understand. You are trying to use ship from an older version of the game. Your ships are impractical if you cannot afford it and you need to realize that if you are having issues
    acquiring resources for you ships, then so are your enemies. They will not show up with doomcubes and obliterate you. They will have just as hard a time getting those resources as you. The game will force us to build smaller because gigantic-ism sucks. We all know that. But suddenly we take that away from the players and we start to complain?

Gotta catch up guys. The game is changing. The vast majority of players we see coming from steam will not see this as hard. They will see it as normal. They don't have old blueprints with superweapons on them to compare their current ships to. They will not understand your plight. You guys should be proud. When those new players come you will have the blueprints to some of the most powerful ships in the game.

Reactions: der_scheme
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Killing pirates after making the first frigate/cruiser (depends on the server, the one i used to play had reasonably strong pirates), this one obtained by salvaging ice crystals.

The point is : No matter how busy my life is (college+job), even playing only like 45mim~1h per day, I would still be a worthy player. Now things are way harder. Starmade has became time-hungry now, and that is the same reason why I quitted MMOs
    You can still farm pirates. I also agree that getting your first reasonable miner is currently a chore, but this can be solved by making crafting cheaper or resources more abundant.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    You can still farm pirates.
    Or even better, other players. Become the pirates. I wonder if we'll see some more utility centered ships focused on disabling ships for harvest rather than just blowing them up with missile batteries.

Reaction score
    I wouldnt mind not being forced to fly a 2 mil block ship just to be competative anymore, trying to add beautiful detail to something that big is a joy-killer. That being said the system was implemented before there was any kind of reasonable support for it. Crafting really still needs to be streamlined so that the smaller factions can still be competative. I remember the old days when you could build an entire factory loop to run off "trash" resources like rock, red rock, lava, etc. Now all those blocks are just useless filler that you toss out the airlock. (and hope you dont accidently run over an pick back up). What we really could use to help with this is the ability to throw trash blocks you dont want into some kind of compounder that will spit them out as some basic resource that can be used towards building something useful to you.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What we really could use to help with this is the ability to throw trash blocks you dont want into some kind of compounder that will spit them out as some basic resource that can be used towards building something useful to you.
    Or a 0.1% chance to get a random ore or crystal. I'd even be happy with a trash bin, accidentally picking up dumped blocks can get really annoying.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I'd love to pirate stuff. Maybe the game will supply you with more than just a few blocks. Maybe we will get an actual speeder or shuttle. The TG could have a few ship, one of which is dedicated to mining. Then we could buy that if we needed to. The old tutorials taught us how to build our ship with the starting blocks but we have a new tutorial system now. Maybe we should just get a starter ship now instead. Smaller than an isanth for sure.

To elaborate, what if the game gave us the option to choose what starter ship we wanted so we could immediately get into our favorite forms of gameplay. A quick offensive fighter for combat, a ship dedicated to mining, one for hauling materials around for trading or one that focused on defense and kept you alive longer than the other ones but has no weaponry.

Reaction score
    Yes. I only mine in faction owned space yet seem to hardly get enough for a frigate. Planets take between 1-6 hours to harvest too with a 28k mass salvager. My fps also tanks because of those blue grid blocks that appear and can't be disabled, so that doesn't help.

Reaction score
    What we really could use to help with this is the ability to throw trash blocks you dont want into some kind of compounder that will spit them out as some basic resource that can be used towards building something useful to you.
    You can "technically" do this now by building a square of those unused blocks on a decreped (or whatever they are called) station and removing it. You get the scrap blocks you can them use to create other blocks with. Just make sure you don't remove the station and you have a constant source of scrap.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Reading through a lot of this I have to say the idea is innovative. However, there are some issues with it. Say you have played this game for 2 years, seeing every change and liking it more and more. Most of your time is spent salvaging and building your ship of mass destruction. Let's say to finish the ship you need 2 mil blocks total. Even with advanced building that's a lot of blocks to place, but you're up to the task. Most of your time is spent salvaging, but there are issues with that even. First off the server is split 50-50 with 3 big factions ganging up on the small factions and wiping them off the server because one guy mentioned they hate space whales. Second, those larger factions have most of the better territory with multiple planets located at the galactic core and have the people to salvage it. Third you have to hide in the middle of buttfuck nowhere to keep those larger factions from attacking you because you blinked funny. Fourth and finally there are hardly any shops becasue of the "new galactic update" that only makes one shop available every 10 systems. Note: I said systems and not sectors. Oh, and those bigger factions also own all the territories with shops in them. That's with the previous system ALONE because these factions have the credits and the blocks to build their 15 mil block fuckeverything ships.

Now let's go ahead and add the newer system. You are now required to get the blocks necessary to build your titan so you can adequately defend yourself. There's 6 people in your faction mining whatever they can for HOURS just to get the materials to make the blocks. After the month is over you get the blocks necessary to build your ships, but you still need to build the damn thing which takes upwards of 3 months to build, perfect systems, and add detail to. Meanwhile every other small faction is doing the same, meaning you cannot form an alliance with them and ask for things they cannot offer. Trading with the large factions (50 people in total, 3 faction alliance) will only allow them to grow bigger and have a firmer grip on all of the people in the server. Plus they have so many people they can just spawn in whatever ship they want, credits or no credits, while you still have to build yours from scratch. On top of that you have to salvage for more materials just to build another one. There's another month while the large factions are now at something like 6 capitals, while you only have 1. Nobody else has the means to defend themselves because of their reliance on blocks they don't have, even if they all form an alliance with one another. So then what? They can't craft anything if their salvagers are constantly being bombarded by these larger factions unless they move 4 galaxies away. They are powerful regardless, but buying ships with credits can save your ass in a pinch before you get wiped off the map completely because it takes less time. Besides, if you spent 3 months perfecting it why should you spend another to gather the resources for the blocks to then rebuild it?

You people want more player trading. You want new mechanics for making ships. You want it to take more time. However, you fail to realize the repercussions of when things take too much time because arrogant munchkins own the server. You fail to realize the effects it has on the little people, 2 year vets or not. All it does is help the larger factions grip us like a corporation would by selling us what we need and then destroying it before our eyes.
    Here's an idea- leave the server if it's just full of huge factions being jerks. This entire post is basically just whining that larger groups of people are more powerful. What were you expecting them to be? Weaker than some crappy faction with 3 members hiding out in the middle of intergalactic space?

Build with blocks is fine, however!! If they want to do so, they need to drastically increase mining yield and decrease the cost of resources for those advanced factory items.

I've strip-mined an entire planet and brought back ore in the 20-40k range each of some major ones, plunked it all in my factories an produced from an hour 1/2 worth of mining (I use a strong combat miner but not a massive planet eater cause lagging everyone sucks and is rude) say maybe.. 1500 missle tubes, 900 shield rechargers an capacitors, 900 ion effect blocks... etc. you see where im getting. Why should an ENTIRE planet worth of resources produce a laughable amount of the most important blocks when your going to need about 150k each minimum of cannons and missle tubes to build a competative weapons system and something like 500k shield blocks *at least* to build a pvp competative shield system for the server your on? Its those advanced-tier systems that are SO IMPORTANT yet so expensive that are the killers to me.
    Have any of you even stopped and considered for a second that we are no longer meant to have gigantic ships with obscene weapon arrays on them? Build smaller and with more interior space! Hull is extremely cheap, and modules are expensive, for a reason.

Another point that I didn't have time to add is the fact that this system also forces dependence on other people, forcing them to work together in order to accomplish something great. It forces the smaller factions to either collaborate or rely on the larger factions to support and supply them. Such a system revokes the independence that some factions wish to have while also having a stable footing on the server they play on. It revokes ownership of such factions and the pride that goes along with it. It forces us all to become friends just to get a decent ship. What if the faction only has 6 people and wishes to be independent? How will they be able to defend themselves from 50+ people for mentioning that they hate cats? How will they be able to support themselves with enough resources to support larger ships and more base defenses? Why do they have to rely on others for such things? Of course recruiting new people can be considered an option, granted you are able to recruit people before the larger factions do just because they have more resources. Is this fair? Is it just if those very people attack whomever they wish at the bat of an eyelid? Is it fair that smaller factions are expected to do more and work harder in order to keep up? What if that smaller faction used to have 20 people but due to a map wipe loses all of its people while these other factions still retain their 50+ members because of an outside-of-server society? Does that mean smaller factions need to be more organized? How can some of us expect to do such a thing when we have lives outside of this game too? How can one be prideful of what they accomplish when it scales so small to what these larger factions have? How can anyone combat them?

This, along with my other point, is why in servers, where war and acting independent is a means of survival, this system will crash and burn, losing the very people who helped make this game more popular, helping it by reporting bugs and helping it grow.
    Set up a forum page outside the server on the dock! Even better, get yourself a whole forum from a website that gives you them for free! If you have 20 members, then at least try and hold them together through a single server wipe. You can't seriously be angry that another faction prepared better for server wipes than you, and that your members all left because you didn't even try to hold them together.

Learn to trade, learn to survive on your own with the lesser resources you can pull in that way, or your faction will die off. That's how it works. This isn't pansy land, but it's not that difficult to get a decent set of ships up and running, either.

Okay, one entire day playing the game with the new system and this is all I have to say :

This game is going to get the "jerk mood" Tibia has. You work one hard month in order to see your capital ship rising, and then a doom cube kills it, and you're done.
    Just like Tibia, when you get killed you lose like 10 levels when you are high-level. Frustrating.

Also I just figured that the salvaging is still slow, need bigger ships to have a reliable one.
    I was wrong when I was talking about the newbies. This whole day only salvaging stuff is making me SO BORED that I'm considering quitting myself.
    Don't put all your eggs in one basket. If you set all your resources towards a single capital that will completely and utterly devastate you beyond repair if it gets blown up, don't do that.