Regarding the blueprint revamp...

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You are definitly wrong! If people are too lazy to do it they will pay someone a massive amount of credits to do it
    ... who would still want to accept a massive amount of credits if they couldn't make use of them anyways?

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    You are definitly wrong! If people are too lazy to do it they will pay someone a massive amount of credits to do it even if it´s not that much of work. Why? Because this is how economie works. They also don´t need to produce everything they just need to have a reasonable stock to provide enough. You send them your list and they deliver.
    Realistic scenario : People will just stop using decorative blocks.
    Well, I would. Let's be honest here.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Then stop using them. It´s not like you are forced to use them. But your ship will probably look inferior to other ones.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    A quick note to the ones who are "complaining about the complaint" - if there is feedback from us, that's good, actually. It means that, instead of just waiting, getting bored then quitting the game, we are showing care for it. We want it to succeed and still be having fun playing it.

And this is valuable. We are living in the "well i've got like 96248 things to play, i will just quit and play something else rather then playing without joy" era

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    I know this but this isn´t a mmo and schema doesn´t get any subscription fees. If you bought it and then quit it because of whatever reason doesn´t affect anyone. Not schema, not schine, not most of other players. I laughed my pants off many times about all these people threatening to quit this game. Who cares?

People will still play other games. Some people might say this game is shit. But claiming the game is shit because of "I need the blocks i used to build my ship to build my ship!" is just funny.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Just wanted to say that you guys are overreacting a bit...

and that's it to be honest, no use of trying to explain why since you guys obviously know what the shipyard system is going to look like.
    Yeah, a DEV build is such a good representation of the actual release...

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I know this but this isn´t a mmo and schema doesn´t get any subscription fees. If you bought it and then quit it because of whatever reason doesn´t affect anyone. Not schema, not schine, not most of other players. I laughed my pants off many times about all these people threatening to quit this game. Who cares?
    I can't tell about the whole game, but for a server having a population increase, you must pass through a positive exponential curve. With few people playing, most of the new players will find that there is not enough people to interact with, and then they will leave and search for another server. In our current state of the game, each person playing and advertising counts.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    People, PEOPLE!!!

We don't give a f*ck about buy with credits not being a thing anymore. It's much easier to produce the blocks and spawn a ship with those than produce blocks, sell at shop and then buy a ship.

WHAT WE DO MIND is that all those pain in the ass to acquire decorative blocks will be even MORE penalizing to use. The suggestion is that whatever isn't filled into the blueprint item should be bought with credits at a much higher than normal price.

Credits are a lot harder to acquire than blocks btw.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    WHAT WE DO MIND is that all those pain in the ass to acquire decorative blocks will be even MORE penalizing to use. The suggestion is that whatever isn't filled into the blueprint item should be bought with credits at a much higher than normal price.
    What is making decorative blocks harder to acquire? They're made out for scraps and few capsules at the worst. Anyone can make a shop and stuff it with whatever you ever need. At least there will be a point to have a shop, aside from storing items. I've played on EE for 2,5 weeks, and my shop is filled with all kinds of stuff. Almost nobody comes to get it, because nobody needs to.
    Credits are a lot harder to acquire than blocks btw.
    That's the point, really. No economy is currently working without stable flush of credits, mostly by voting rewards. Actual resources play little to no role. If you would take those awards away, natural volume of credits will go extinct, and gameplay will collapse. Blocks are what meant to be the primary value, and credits are meant to be a universal value substitute for player interactions. That's why in generic Starmade environment they are relatively scarce.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    o_O Last I checked even if you use 80 block types in a ship 40 of those will probably be used less than a 100 times, some even only a couple. You could probably go out on a spree and buy these normally and not use them up for weeks.

Making wedges/penta tetra etc is trivial. Literally one extra step. Hull is so easy to make as to be abundant in the millions if you have a decent salvager. To colour hull is stupidly easy too, you will have millions of tekt or laminar after mining. You can't even get rid of the stuff, only make paint.

Now I don't recall how to make crystals, but I don't think that requires more than one step. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Making shields/rechargers was the biggest challenge iirc, since you need large masses of ore to produce them.

Im going to be honest, I don't understand how someone who can pour hours and hours of their lives into a ship cannot be arsed to gather the blocks to spawn it. One option I would support would be requiring 95% of the blocks for the ship being gathered before you can buy the remaining. Simply because if its only a couple stray blocks there's space for compromise, unlike the current system it wouldn't compromise the starmade economy (farm credits -> magic blocks into existance.)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    o_O Last I checked even if you use 80 block types in a ship 40 of those will probably be used less than a 100 times, some even only a couple. You could probably go out on a spree and buy these normally and not use them up for weeks.

Making wedges/penta tetra etc is trivial. Literally one extra step. Hull is so easy to make as to be abundant in the millions if you have a decent salvager. To colour hull is stupidly easy too, you will have millions of tekt or laminar after mining. You can't even get rid of the stuff, only make paint.

Now I don't recall how to make crystals, but I don't think that requires more than one step. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Making shields/rechargers was the biggest challenge iirc, since you need large masses of ore to produce them.

Im going to be honest, I don't understand how someone who can pour hours and hours of their lives into a ship cannot be arsed to gather the blocks to spawn it. One option I would support would be requiring 95% of the blocks for the ship being gathered before you can buy the remaining. Simply because if its only a couple stray blocks there's space for compromise, unlike the current system it wouldn't compromise the starmade economy (farm credits -> magic blocks into existance.)
    But that's not at all the point being made here....

Producing basic blocks is far easier than getting the credits for them. It's the boring extra 200 steps needed to make deco blocks that is the problem, hence why being able to selectively buy those with credits would be nice (with a high tax of course).

Reaction score
    Do you guys have no imagination? Seriously. Threads like this are exactly the reason why development versions are going to be closed to the public. Features that have been implemented for one day as a proof of concept are beaten to death because some really non-important feature hasn't been there from the start. I honestly don't get it.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Do you guys have no imagination? Seriously. Threads like this are exactly the reason why development versions are going to be closed to the public. Features that have been implemented for one day as a proof of concept are beaten to death because some really non-important feature hasn't been there from the start. I honestly don't get it.
    Eh?

Buying with blocks the way it is in the dev build is infinitely better than buying ships with credits only. We're just suggesting something to make it even better, not bashing it...

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    If hull blocks and systems were the only issue I wouldn't mind. It's all the other stuff...
    The devs purposefully made weapons more expensive so that players would focus on defense instead, such as armoring a ship instead of shielding it. Times are changing and we have to get out of this shield+big weapons mentality. It will not be as worth it to make awesome weaponry when it is so expensive. Focus less on weapons and more on ship design and I guarantee you will have a more enjoyable fighting experience.

A bit hard with shops usually only having somewhere between 50 and 2000 of an item (And only having a capacity of 10,000, which is silly, but that's another issue)
    This again has to do with the fact that the devs want it to be hard to acquire tens of thousands of blocks for certain systems. Hull is easy to get because currently they are pushing for hull to be useful. It's useful in the sense that it is economically the better choice. Who's to say we won't have an even smaller inventory in the future. We probably will. Suddenly the shop will be carrying, what is to you, a lot more of a resource than you need.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The devs purposefully made weapons more expensive so that players would focus on defense instead, such as armoring a ship instead of shielding it. Times are changing and we have to get out of this shield+big weapons mentality. It will not be as worth it to make awesome weaponry when it is so expensive. Focus less on weapons and more on ship design and I guarantee you will have a more enjoyable fighting experience.

This again has to do with the fact that the devs want it to be hard to acquire tens of thousands of blocks for certain systems. Hull is easy to get because currently they are pushing for hull to be useful. It's useful in the sense that it is economically the better choice. Who's to say we won't have an even smaller inventory in the future. We probably will. Suddenly the shop will be carrying, what is to you, a lot more of a resource than you need.
    He was talking about stuff like all the different colored armors, their variants and all other deco blocks. They might be easy to produce individually, but setting up a factory to produce all those 50 different deco blocks is insanely aggravating. Not because it's hard (it's easy), but because of how much time it wastes for absolutely no other advantage than aesthetics...

It's on the same level of fun as emptying a dishwasher, basically.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    One, we're suggesting an improvement to the change, not bashing what is actually a great improvement over the old system gameplay-wise... And two, IT WAS RELEASED AS-IS (for now), albeit with an option to switch to the old system. Sooo... Not a development build issue; more of a feature issue in general. And how in the world is a partial buy-with-credits feature 'really non-important'? To me, it's a make-or-break for what is otherwise a great improvement.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Does it have to be blocks OR credits? How about a mixture of both? Supply as many blocks as you can, but if you don't have EVERY block, the shipyard will charge you DOUBLE or TRIPLE the local cost of the blocks that you still need. Consider it a convenience surcharge.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Does it have to be blocks OR credits? How about a mixture of both? Supply as many blocks as you can, but if you don't have EVERY block, the shipyard will charge you DOUBLE or TRIPLE the local cost of the blocks that you still need. Consider it a convenience surcharge.
    That is... exactly what I was asking for... Sorry if it's not clear.

Reaction score
    Eh?

Buying with blocks the way it is in the dev build is infinitely better than buying ships with credits only. We're just suggesting something to make it even better, not bashing it...
    Because you are discussing a matter you know nothing about. You take the new blueprint item and take it literally, whithout the consideration that there might be other changes upcoming.

One, we're suggesting an improvement to the change, not bashing what is actually a great improvement over the old system gameplay-wise...
    An improvement that is moot at this point of development, see above.

And two, IT WAS RELEASED AS-IS (for now), albeit with an option to switch to the old system.
    Which you knew when you started bragging in private messages, and when you opened up this thread, right?

Sooo... Not a development build issue; more of a feature issue in general.
    It still is. Just because schema decided to push a feature, which basically doesn't change anything, out into the wild that doesn't mean that you know anything more than you know before, nor that anything about that is final. The GUI could be removed or changed again. The actual data is independent from the presentation.

And how in the world is a partial buy-with-credits feature 'really non-important'? To me, it's a make-or-break for what is otherwise a great improvement.
    Yes, how in the world is it less important than the actual mechanics in which context it's going to be used? That is a real riddle to me.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yes, how in the world is it less important than the actual mechanics in which context it's going to be used? That is a real riddle to me.
    Ah; I get what you're saying now. However, why release it so early, then? Why not leave it in the dev branch until more of the side features are added and Schema knows that the release will be an all-around improvement to the game, rather than what comes across to the players as a half-completed feature? Especially since (thankfully) the dev builds ARE still open to the public...

...Furthermore, my main issue (contrary to how it may look) isn't actually the lack of the buy-partially-with-credits feature in the current build. It's how, when asked about it, most people 'in the know' seem to answer that it won't be added. I may be responding prematurely, though.

People will still play other games. Some people might say this game is shit. But claiming the game is shit because of "I need the blocks i used to build my ship to build my ship!" is just funny.
    You underestimate the power of the community (or lack thereof), Schnell. If the community dies down, there will be nobody around to help promote the game (particularly later when its price rises and each purchase counts for more), and nobody to keep the excitement alive... Too many people quitting Starmade, regardless of whether or not they've bought the game yet, would kill the game pretty fast, especially when the vicious cycle gets going and people start leaving because all their friends quit. So yes, it does affect Schema, Schine... and definitely other players.

(I'm not even close to quitting the game, by the way. This feature hardly ruins the game - even in its current state, it's something of an improvement. It isn't ANYWHERE NEAR extreme enough to cause tons of people to quit altogether, and I don't foresee it becoming so. I merely saw a flaw in SchnellBier 's argument, and felt that I had to reply. Please, nobody take it as any more than that.)

Last edited: