Recent Shield Nerf

Reaction score
    they certinly seem to peirce shields. ive never had any restance from anships sheilding.

Reaction score
    mybe all my friends just have really shitty shield systems. what gave me the idea is that ive absolutly NEVER shot a missle at someone and it not blast a massive hole in there ship.

Reaction score
    no hes saying that its too easy to buy \"overpowered\" ships.

( I never beleived any ship was over powered. A large ship should only be a match for a large ship or 2 ships of a slightly smaller weight class, or a fleet of ships 2 weight classes smaller, and no ammount of ships 3 classes smaller )

The point was that from one pirate base I was able to buy as many titain class ships as I wanted without regard to future income and maintainance for my factions fleet.

|

Yet actually this is a good thing, because its simple, new players have nothing to whine about, if their ship is too small they can easily get a bigger one.

the previous system was not bad at all. Yet when you got to Titan class weapons where over powered. Most Titans can destroy themselves in 2 seconds. Now... its a nano second.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I use a 5x5x4 target dummy block. Five 1x5 strips of power and the rest as shielding. I was firing 100, 200 and 300 dmg missiles at it, nothing was damaged. Try it in your single player and see if you get similar results.

Reaction score
    gladly if my starmade ever updates correctly. oh wait. the new update buffed smaller ships imensly remember?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Use a minimum dmg threeshold in relation with the ship mass to cancel the shield regen. So a 50k mass ship is able to regen even if a 50 dps turret is shooting at it.

Problem fixed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Larger ship shield capacity also got buffed by 300%, remember? Either way, you said missiles ignore shields, if that was true, this update did not buff smaller ships.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Uhm... What will that fix, exactly? a 50 DPS turret isn\'t going to do anything to your shields anyways.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    D-Car actually has a point there, where did you got your math from, from an Isanth 6 ? The newbie packet on a server of 20 AMC does more than 1000 DPS...

My \"fighter\" can do 160k DPS, it moves like an arrow, and can take 20 million shields in 2 minutes. 100 million shields don\'t exist, also because of the curve affects capacity, Nightingale which is the 1 trillion energy capacity project has 20 mill shield capacity, and it\'s the most shielded thing you will see for a while.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    A 50 dps turret prevent you from using your shield regen, the threeshold prevents using small turrets to stop the enemy regen.

I prefer the way it\'s now, op regen was retarded, shield capacity is a lot better, the only thing which needs a tweak is the regen delay.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    And that\'s it. That\'s all it does. It doesn\'t go through your shields like a hot knife through butter. If you\'re in combat, you\'re not invincible. If there\'s a pirate in an Isanth shooting at you, you can\'t AFK and come back two hours later and shrug it off.

You can however take the time to put a measly portion of your massive ship\'s firepower to completely obliterate the turret without it being able to put up a fight.

I just don\'t get what having that thresh hold is supposed to do for the game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    What is your \'fighter\'s\' Mass, or at least Mass-class according to the Nameless scale?

Reaction score
    The real problem aren\'t the shields, it is how BIG AMCs aren\'t slow firing devasting weapons but fast firing miniguns of doom and that turrets can\'t aim for shit. Shields should perhaps have even more capacity, but otherwise only the guns and the AI needs to be worked on, that\'s it. NO to ships with a shield that can not be penetrated without making a bigger ship. It should be about tactics, not who got the bigger pile of shields under his ass.

Reaction score
    Still, between this and the previous system - this system is better since shields now serve as a functional HP meter with the ability to grow back as opposed to the previous version where it was either total invulnerability or dead in 3 seconds.

Exact what i thought. Btw very big shields have gained capacity with the new system (since the exponent grew).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    small ships still cant do shit alone to a big one since shield capacity has been increased, now they need to shoot the ship for 2 days.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Meh, this runs both ways. An AMC can be very powerful for small ships but also for larger ships. Even with poor aiming turrets, shotgun arrays rather than pinpoint arrays blanket space with AM fire which is where their true danger shows up.

Reaction score
    The previous sheild system allowed a ship of a relatively small size 280mass, 37m long, 18m wide, 14m high to be pretty much impervious to any amc, missile or disentegrator. So to say you had to have a huge ship to protect yourself from small fighters is not quite accurate. With 500 sheild dispersers plus the proper power regen and power storage any ship could take quite a lot of fire.

500 shield disperser = 1k reggen + 20k capacity.

A ship of mine with about 150mass does 5.5k DPS with it\'s 4 AMCs (together). Your shields would last for 4.5 seconds. With the new System you have 50k shields which would last 9 seconds. Effectivly you are stronger now against ships that can overpower your old regen rate. On the other hand a ship that does 500 dps now needs 100 seconds of sustained fire to kill your shields (and for every second you reg he needs 4 more) what is realy long in a fight of that class while the old system would have rendered you invincible.

I think that sounds fair.

As for what schema has come up with now, the same ship now is capable of taking only a minute or 2 of sustained fire before the sheilds fail. The need for regen time after sustained fire is the part of the equation that reduces the sheilds dispersers to a useless waste of interior space and mass. So now the choice is to replace the sheilds with extra hardened hull to withstand more hits while you do your best to run so you do not lose your 2 day sculture to some jack ass in a flying gun or suicide ship.

You want to use hull (including hardened) as protection? Did you ever fire with AMCs on Hull? How much layers do you want? 200? If not they are the most useless item in the game atm. They only serve as decorative item for ships above 100 mass since bigger ships have always AMCs with more than 400 damage which kill 10 layers per second.

Reaction score
    Thanks for pointing that out since nearly everyone ignores that capacity increased much (and even more on big ships)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    OK it seem everyone here hasnt built a mosnter of a ship here or even tested it :/ my battleship rokh with the previous shield system which had 100million power tank storage a shield of 700,000 and 1.1 million regen that is OP and must take 700,000+ dmg from AMC to have its sheild taken down so unless im attacked by enough ships that do 700,000 dmg in 1 second im pretty much unstoppable. The shield setup now is a bit more balanced and when you build a REAL TITAN CLASS and by that i mean REAL TITAN my battle ship rokh is not even a TITAN it only has 5.5 million shield and like 50k regen, when you build a ship with i say about 10 million sheild + with the current system its regen will 100,000+ which is more then enough to be fair. cause with the old system i could literaly take on a whole server of like 20 people...

the current system is defitnetly more fair then the old system but i think AMC and rockets need to be reworked a bit.