Push Effect + Clock = Cruse Control!

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    So what you're saying is we can use these to build self propelling disintegrator missiles?
    You could already do something similar by setting them as AI. AI without weapons will naturally try to ram, if I'm correct.

But yeah, you can.

Reactions: Agame3

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I've installed it on my ship and it works like a charm. Thanks.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I've been thinking about making a movable outpost/station that uses the same concept but with stop modules in order to stay in place instead of a cumbersome dock. I'll get back to you if it works.

Zeno9141 AI does that with when they are equipped with pulsars (idk if it still works).

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Flew the Pile O Junk Cruise Ship into a sun so I did a remodel using this concept. Got a nice interior now but it can only cruise at around 30 and reverse at 10. Oh and there are two self propelled missiles on there. Lecic

I wonder if I could achieve turning some how. Does anyone know if the effects work differently if the computer is turned (like weapon computers causing projectiles to go in another direction)

Reactions: WarmasterRaptor
    Reaction score
    So I I were to cram in enough push modules could this be applied to a 1000 m long capital ship? It dosent even have to go fast, it would just look amazing

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    So I I were to cram in enough push modules could this be applied to a 1000 m long capital ship? It dosent even have to go fast, it would just look amazing
    Yes, although you'd have to sacrifice, well, everything else to get such a massive ship to move with these.

Reaction score
    Yes, although you'd have to sacrifice, well, everything else to get such a massive ship to move with these.
    but it is posible? And would the sacrificing be due to power drain? The ship has enough room to put in hundreds of thousands of these effect modules, and I just wanted it cause it would be amazing, not practical for travel.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    but it is posible? And would the sacrificing be due to power drain? The ship has enough room to put in hundreds of thousands of these effect modules, and I just wanted it cause it would be amazing, not practical for travel.
    Oh, yeah, it's certainly possible, but you need a decent percent of your total blocks to be them for it to work well. 50:50 ratio of blocks : push modules is what you should be aiming for (SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    50:50 ratio of blocks : push modules is what you should be aiming for (SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG)
    Since Trist0n stated it doesn't need to be practical, yes, it is possible with less blocks, although the result is likely just 1-2 km/h

Reaction score
    Thank you all for the replies. Actually this could be very helpfull. The way the ships thrust is set up I barely tap the w key and it launches off at 250 km/h, making it very difficult to dock or enter an area slowly. So having an auxillary thrust that pushes it around at 5ish km/h would make cruising easier

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    That's not a problem if you're manning the ship, though. Then you'd be able to stop, rotate, and start up again in the direction of your target.

Also, I see a use for this in deploying large numbers of automated ships into the battlefield. Prepare your fleet, activate cruise control to push slowly forward until the ai get in range and let the ai duke it out. You'll just have to get reasonably close to your target area and make sure your ships all have roughly the same speed on cruise control, point them in the right direction, then follow them in.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I suppose for breaks you could put the push blocks going the other way.
    or pull effect. either ways works however the overall output of the push defensive effect is just stupidly poor. Unless you put an absurd Push block-to-Mass Ratio (like 4:1) you will get a very slow but steady speed.

hopefully with schema working on FTL we might get a kind of autopilot in order to use it.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Would externally docked ships with push pulses work? And having clocks attached to them?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Would externally docked ships with push pulses work? And having clocks attached to them?
    That was the entire concept of the old Orion Pulse ships. Back on the old website, alternative measures of propulsion were popular for some reason. A large pulsar is docked on the back of another ship. The pulsar would be piloted and fired to propel the main ship, which would then drag along the docked pulsar.

You might be able to do the same with docked push beams, although I have no idea how long this will work, as hard-docked entities being able to hit the main ship will probably be fixed at some point.