Project Monorail v.1 prototype

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Propably first tram made in starmade.

This is prototype so it don't looks cool for now. More important is to make it efficent right now.

For now it's slow, but successfully move on rail and can pass corners.

Uses cruise engine invented by Crimson-Artist
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/push-effect-clock-cruse-control.1587/

EDIT 1

It works fast with hyperflux thrusters, but slow with cruiser engine. I need to think how to make cruise engine faster or find another way to produce thrust.

Last edited:

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    @Crusade has some experience in this kind of thing, he has made raising and lowering turret platforms, sliding doors and a 20 floor ship based lift all using push, pull and stop beams. You might want to ask his advice :)

Reaction score
    wow these new effects open whole new worlds and things in starmade

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    If you can get this to somehow move around a whole planet it will be absolutely awesome.
    Also would it be possible to make a smaller one for stations and such?
    If so it would be possible to have fun ways to get around outside and inside a station (underground rails perhaps?)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well theoretically it's possible to make it around planet. The main problem is power of push effect which is to weak to fly fast (problem here is friction between tram and rail).
    Also it's possible to make it smaller. It works best if hole to keep rail is on the top of tram.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I've done a monorail system too, but it doesn't go around corners, simple point A to point B automatic system.

Carriage comes in, gets locked in place via plexdoor, initiates countdown. When countdown is finished it pushes the carriage away with push beams. Only really usable on a space station at the moment.

Reaction score
    or long distance if you put a push effet clock engine in there soem how

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've done a monorail system too, but it doesn't go around corners, simple point A to point B automatic system.

Carriage comes in, gets locked in place via plexdoor, initiates countdown. When countdown is finished it pushes the carriage away with push beams. Only really usable on a space station at the moment.
    While I love your solution. I must say that It's pretty resource-consuming at long distances, as You need a lot of beams and push modules. Also it's sad that fact that You need very tight rail, makes impossible to go around corners.

Maybe it's possible to make pair of docked ships. One will be engine, second will be main ship. Engine would shoot beam to main ship, engine would be docked to main ship so it should fly with main part. Something like pulse engine.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well, with a bit of design work you'd be able to make it take 90 degree corners, simply have a stopper and another push beam to push it in the right direction when it reaches the corner. I prefer not having too many systems or logic on the moving bits to simplify the creation of the system.

EDIT: Long distances aren't really a problem, that system can travel 650m to the other end of the line without needing any extra assistance.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Well, with a bit of design work you'd be able to make it take 90 degree corners, simply have a stopper and another push beam to push it in the right direction when it reaches the corner. I prefer not having too many systems or logic on the moving bits to simplify the creation of the system.

EDIT: Long distances aren't really a problem, that system can travel 650m to the other end of the line without needing any extra assistance.
    Perhaps just making the "corner rails" and straight rails into a copy-paste palette would solve the problem? It's something I'd love to see!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well the rails are simply lines of blocks. For corners i'll have to change a few things, shouldn't be overly complex though haha.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11

Doesn't it encounter issues with beam length at such long ranges? I suppose you could have push and pull beams to increase the range. Hand it off from the push to the pull once at the center, and swap which is which depending on the side it's starting at.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    normal beam range is 500m. That only becomes an issue if your line is over 500m long, my 650m line just lets the carriage drift the rest of the distance. It's a simple solution.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    normal beam range is 500m. That only becomes an issue if your line is over 500m long, my 650m line just lets the carriage drift the rest of the distance. It's a simple solution.
    Oh, you don't have friction problems with the rails?