Proper Measurement for ship strength

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Mass doesn't work and is overused in the mechanics. This gives decorative/armor blocks nightmarish penalties if you're trying to make an efficient setup and forces uniformity in viable ship shapes, as limiting surface area is necessary.

You add 100 decorative blocks to a ship with, you will then need 15 module blocks to keep your effects the same, 10 thrusters to keep your speed the same, and these use power so we need another 25 power reactors to keep everything running, but hey! now we added another 50 blocks to the ship so we have to pump in another 7 module blocks, thrusters, more reactors etc, etc, etc. And lets not forget that thrusters require increasing amounts of power the more you have, so this gets exponentially worse the larger your ship is, and then there's radar jammers.

Let's not even talk about cloaking where you can't even have an exterior, i cannot find a way of simply covering the reactor blocks while keeping it stable.

I'm so sick of this, i don't want to nickle and dime my ships weighing the consequences of putting a pottet plant in the foyer because i have to expand the systems or the ship will implode. I didn't really notice how insane the penalty is until i saw this ship: http://starmadedock.net/content/the-mirage-le-mirage.2898/

Because the ship has a split hull, a sizable interior and high speed it is practically unable to power itself and its systems, and it doesn't even have overdrive effect! We can't have decent open ship designs unless they're covered in reactors.

The other side of this issue is that competitions tend to use mass as the measuring stick for what ships go in the same category, but a low-interior ship with simple indentless exterior is many times stronger than the pretty ones because a 20000 mass ship with 4000 mass in decorations/armor has roughly 12000 mass worth of combat strength, while a 20.000 mass ship with 1000 mass in dec/armor has 18000; 50% more. And of those 18000 vs 12000 they'll have to dedicate the same amount to speed; 2.0 thrust to mass means another 4000 gone from each; 14000 now vs 8000. If we assume they have the same DPS, but the non-cosmetic ship just dumped all it's resources into shields instead of cosmetics, you'll easily have a scenario where two ships, all else equals, one has twice the shield strength.

What we need is a measurement that ignores decorative blocks, and arguably armor, and using THAT for comparing ship strength and module penalties. I'd even sugest not adding mass from decorative blocks and simply having them die immediately when they take damage; just let projectiles/beams/missiles travel through them like they don't exist. Even if armor only reduces ship speed, isn't that enough? Sure you can make huge armored cubes, but how will they even move?
    Just count the number of reactors, capacitors, shield rechargers, shield capacitors, weapon blocks, effects, as well as computers and we're all golden, surely it's not that much work?

Reactions: Ithirahad

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Not just mass. Decorative blocks and such increase your ship's HP pool, too, AFAIK.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Mass doesn't work and is overused in the mechanics. This gives decorative/armor blocks nightmarish penalties if you're trying to make an efficient setup and forces uniformity in viable ship shapes, as limiting surface area is necessary.
    As current math stands, with consideration for its purpose, your ship requires:
    - 10% of its mass as Thrusters (thrust level slightly above ship's mass, which is intended value for ships of all sizes).
    - 5 to 10% of its mass as Power (decent amount of power. You decide the ratio between caps and regs).
    - 10 to 20% of its mass as Shields (decent amount of shields. You decide the ratio between caps and regs).
    - 40 to 50% of its mass as Armor (full coverage of ship's exterior. Larger ships has more to spare for multi-layering and can deal with less).

The rest 10 to 35% of blocks of ships mass is dedicated to modular space. That includes weapons systems, turrets, effects, optional 5% jump-drive, decorations and any stat increase for essential systems listed above. This math is appropriate works!
    The key here is to determine the target mass of your new ship and deciding what you want to dedicate it to, beforehand. If you can't figure that out on your own, that's your problem. It is also appropriate to preplan the volume efficiency (ratio between total volume as X*Y*Z and volume occupied by actual blocks as target mass) with 20-25% efficiency as a good middle-ground. That math work wonders for me.

There's no need for being mean but yourself. Having it hard to make a 'perfect ship' is a necessary condition for making role-specific ships.

Reaction score
    There's no such need. It is due to your own choice.
    Making a large ship requires a huge number of thrusters, adding a huge number of thrusters requires more power which makes the ship bigger and require more thrusters which require more power.

The power requirement of large ships makes sense to a degree but in manyu cases spoils the cosmetic design. There needs to eb a better option than simply have 256000 power blocks on a large ship

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Making a large ship requires a huge number of thrusters, adding a huge number of thrusters requires more power which makes the ship bigger and require more thrusters which require more power.

The power requirement of large ships makes sense to a degree but in manyu cases spoils the cosmetic design. There needs to eb a better option than simply have 256000 power blocks on a large ship
    It requires 10% ot ships mass, not more. This is NOT an extreme ratio. If power seems inadequate, use auxiliary power reactors. The only problem any cosmetic design can encounter is when exterior is built first.

Reaction score
    Docked reactors are a very good solution of your ships is big enough to really make use of them.

Though, people are perfectly capable of making some gorgeous ships with the existing mechanics. You just have to be aware that compared to a real ship a large portion of your interior is going to be blocks of systems.

Reaction score
    Docked reactors are a very good solution of your ships is big enough to really make use of them.

Though, people are perfectly capable of making some gorgeous ships with the existing mechanics. You just have to be aware that compared to a real ship a large portion of your interior is going to be blocks of systems.

Docked reactors are a work round, not a solution. On most ship designs it completely spoils things to have a load of tankers on the side of your ship.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    As fascinating as this discussion is it really has nothing to do with the topic

• Cosmetic blocks reduce ship's combat efficiency
    • Mass is not a good indicator of ship strength, see above
    Not just mass. Decorative blocks and such increase your ship's HP pool, too, AFAIK.
    Worthless. Who gives a shit about your armor/structure when a 500 mass ship can obliterate a capital with a few missiles. It's like armoring your coffin so your corpse is safer; when people are shooting at it you're allready dead. Also the point of cosmetic blocks is that they should not affect the ship; do you think anyone would wear hats in team fortress if they slowed down your character, or made you carry less ammo?

As current math stands, with consideration for its purpose, your ship requires:
    - 10% of its mass as Thrusters (thrust level slightly above ship's mass, which is intended value for ships of all sizes).
    - 5 to 10% of its mass as Power (decent amount of power. You decide the ratio between caps and regs).
    - 10 to 20% of its mass as Shields (decent amount of shields. You decide the ratio between caps and regs).
    - 40 to 50% of its mass as Armor (full coverage of ship's exterior. Larger ships has more to spare for multi-layering and can deal with less).

The rest 10 to 35% of blocks of ships mass is dedicated to modular space. That includes weapons systems, turrets, effects, optional 5% jump-drive, decorations and any stat increase for essential systems listed above. This math is appropriate works!
    The key here is to determine the target mass of your new ship and deciding what you want to dedicate it to, beforehand. If you can't figure that out on your own, that's your problem. It is also appropriate to preplan the volume efficiency (ratio between total volume as X*Y*Z and volume occupied by actual blocks as target mass) with 20-25% efficiency as a good middle-ground. That math work wonders for me.
    No blocks accounting for interior. Also making a combat ship you can easily cut armor down to 10%, so these numbers are basically nonsense. I can also substitute shields for power, or really anything else, and you apparently forgot weapon blocks, but really what on earth is the point of this? Compare a ship with zero interior to a ship with a full interior of the same mass, the interior less ship will ALWAYS be stronger, so why would you put interior on your ship when it cripples your combat ability?

There's no need for being mean but yourself. Having it hard to make a 'perfect ship' is a necessary condition for making role-specific ships.[/QUOTE]

It is not hard to make a perfect ship. It's impossible. This is the threads problem.

There's no such need. It is due to your own choice.
    You can excuse anything with that. You're basically just telling him to fuck off because he wants to make a ship that's effective in combat and doesn't look like a potato. If you don't care about having combat ships look decent, why are you responding to this thread at all?

It requires 10% ot ships mass, not more. This is NOT an extreme ratio. If power seems inadequate, use auxiliary power reactors. The only problem any cosmetic design can encounter is when exterior is built first.
    A lot of people seem to be misunderstanding the topic:

You can make a good looking ship in starmade.
    You can make a powerful combat ship in starmade.
    You CANNOT achieve both in the same build.
    And that's stupid.

Reactions: Agame3

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Very aggressive all of a sudden.

Anyway. Blocks with armor values keep other ships from kicking the shit out of you. That's pretty simple. Missile blast radius is dramatically reduced against ships that have armor HP remaining. Missiles are pathetic at damaging armor HP efficiently. Structure HP helps because once you start taking damage to your systems, everything starts losing power based on the percentage of remaining HP. More HP = you can actually fight just that much longer.

Right now, a "combat ship" as you call it tends to be easier to strip of its armor due to the simple problem of it not actually having much of it. Less armor = more dead

Reaction score
    I'd really like to the missile set up a 500 mass ship that can do that kind of damage, especially with point defence being buffed now. The only thing I can think of is Pulse Missiles at point blank range, assuming the ship in question has lost its armour.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Very aggressive all of a sudden.
    There's no tone on forums, i'm sorry i forgot to post enough smileys to properly convey a sufficient degree of whimsical. I hope this helps.
    :p:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::):):):schema::schema::schema::confused::confused::confused::cool::cool::cool::D:p:p:p:p:p:D

Seriously though i am not upset with anyone, there's just something wrong with the game and i want to see that resolved so the game will be better for everyone.

Anyway. Blocks with armor values keep other ships from kicking the shit out of you. That's pretty simple. Missile blast radius is dramatically reduced against ships that have armor HP remaining. Missiles are pathetic at damaging armor HP efficiently. Structure HP helps because once you start taking damage to your systems, everything starts losing power based on the percentage of remaining HP. More HP = you can actually fight just that much longer.

Right now, a "combat ship" as you call it tends to be easier to strip of its armor due to the simple problem of it not actually having much of it. Less armor = more dead
    Two things on this: You're comparing something to nothing; of course more armor protects the ship, but replace that armor with shield capacitors and you'll be less than "less dead" "My idea of a combat ship" goes from, according toDivineEvil's stats, 20% shields to 50%; if you skip rechargers you can get 4x shield strength by ignoring interior. Second, i'm talking about cosmetics; armor used as interior or cosmetic blocks like screens, circuitry or plants. interior armor may increase the armor bar, but your ship is still being pumped full of holes. This doesn't happen when your shields are up, are you seriously arguing that armor is a viable alternative to shields?

Why are you arguing against this? Show me a good looking ship with an interior that won't get wasted in combat against a ship with same mass and you win, but personally i've never seen this and i don't believe this exists. Do you actually want combat ships to forever be solid blocks of shield capacitors floating around with a small entrance path to the core?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The HP update has greatly increased the correlation between mass of a ship and potential performance. If you're looking to make nice interiors, I suggest putting them mostly on the outsides of the ship as they will act somewhat like an extra layer of armor, protecting your guts against certain weapons. Just don't go overboard. Too much of anything will make your ship perform worse.

Roleplay ships should (at least theoretically) no longer have any noteworthy performance disadvantage against spartan ones. In general, they'll just be tankier once shields fall. They're different, but not really weaker. That said, the downfall is that RP ships may come home with armor and block damage more often.

The system is far from perfect. IMO, the decoration blocks still weigh too much and provide too much HP. I think both weight and HP should be cut by 50%-75%. It's not horrible as it is, but there's really no reason for them to weigh so much, and the only reason they provide so much HP is to try to compensate for the unnecessary weight.