New Blocks Antimatter-reactor + antimatter Storage

Reaction score
    Building powerful large ships, can take an impractical amount of power blocks.
    Antimater reactor (AmR) and storage (AmS) could work as an advanced version of power reactors (PwR) and capacitors (PwC) . I propose they work as follows

Antimatter Reactor
    Produces Power at 100 times the rate of the PwR. Consumes Antimatter to produce power. 1 unit of Antimatter would convert to 100 units of power.
    Converts Excess power, only when power is 100%, into antimatter. Should be relatively slow taking much longer to fill AmS than to drain them. It should be less efficient than generating power so for example taking 200 power to create one unit of antimatter.
    Upon destruction the block will explode causing significant damage to the ship it is mounted to.
    When damaged the reactor starts a countdown (think warp core breach in startrek) Say 600 seconds as an example. Additional hits halve the remaining timer causing it to breach faster. Timer reaches 0 the reactor is destroyed.
    Repairing the reactor increases the timer, when it reaches the original value the breach is fixed and the timer stops.

Antimatter Storage
    Stores the same Antimatter as the PwC stores power giving an equivalent power storage of 100 times the PwC.
    Upon destruction the block would explode like the AmR
    Unlike the AmR it is destroyed as any other block would be but has very high armour value making it difficult to destroy.

Adding these blocks would allow for some simplified building but also the risk of destruction would mean they cant be spammed like PwR can. Ship designers would have to consider protect5ing their "engine room" in order to use these. In combat it would also make the strategy subsystem targeting a very effective way to fight. Get enough hist in on a poorly protected AmR and bye bye enemy ship.

It also allows for a different take on how power systems are built, it would allow you to build enough PwR and PwC for passive systems and then only relying on AmR when going to "red alert"

Reactions: Rasor1911
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    No. Just with every other suggestion like this that floods the forums. No.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Care to elaborate rather than just "NO"
    It runs down to

Starmade shouldn't start to be compared space enginneers and for me personally i'd still use the old blocks as fuel doesn't make the game fun. No it makes it like space enginneers. Sure its more realistic but its not fun. If you want realism play space engineers. If you want a game to have fun in and to not grind yourself silly play starmade. Starmade is more for the broader class of players. It tries to make everyone happy. And since the more hardcore players are rarer then the more casual players this won't be a good change.

Reaction score
    It runs down to

Starmade shouldn't start to be compared space enginneers and for me personally i'd still use the old blocks as fuel doesn't make the game fun. No it makes it like space enginneers. Sure its more realistic but its not fun. If you want realism play space engineers. If you want a game to have fun in and to not grind yourself silly play starmade. Starmade is more for the broader class of players. It tries to make everyone happy. And since the more hardcore players are rarer then the more casual players this won't be a good change.
    I'n not played nor am I comparing starmade to space engineers.

mainly my issue is that with some ships they require massive numbers of reactors and it can spoil the design. This solves that by having an "advanced power reactor" I didn't just want to make a scaled up version though, its too simple and boring. This adds some flexability in design rather than just scaling things up.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'n not played nor am I comparing starmade to space engineers.

mainly my issue is that with some ships they require massive numbers of reactors and it can spoil the design. This solves that by having an "advanced power reactor" I didn't just want to make a scaled up version though, its too simple and boring. This adds some flexability in design rather than just scaling things up.
    Then use docked reactors.

http://i.imgur.com/zRNwzE4.jpg

Each one of these bad boys can generate and give 730K e/s to the mothership its docked too.

Reaction score
    Then use docked reactors.

http://i.imgur.com/zRNwzE4.jpg

Each one of these bad boys can generate and give 730K e/s to the mothership its docked too.
    Oh yes, ruin the EXTERIOR design instead of the interior design. BRILLIANT

but on a more serious note, this isn't changing the game for you. if you want to use the regular power system, that's fine, you can do just that. This is providing an option for ships to store a large quantity of quick-acting reserve power at the cost of a volatile reactor. I see no problems with this system and it would provide an interesting change in the meta of the game.

If your issue is with the fuel-esqe system, look again. 200 power makes one antimatter unit, that can be burnt in one second to make 100 power. you store these in antimatter capacitors, that i assume function similar to normal capacitors, so you can end up storing quite alot of power. each reactor burns 1 unit a second at 100 power each unit. This system allows you to compress excess power into a quick-acting reserve

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It runs down to

This... is a really closed-minded argument. StarMade is still in alpha and honestly, it hasn't yet decided which direction it's going in.

As to the actual suggestion, maybe. The only problem is that, as the OP said, this would effectively be a buff to bigger ships, which have more space to hide and protect these blocks and can take the explosion more easily - not something we need when large ships are already far too self-sufficient. And as usual, the fuel idea will be more of an annoyance than anything else... Games are supposed to be fun; your ship suddenly not going, leaving you sitting in space for all eternity because your thrusters need an antimatter reactor to work and you ran out of antimatter is not fun.

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Pretty sure that is the interior, just with a wall missing so the reactors can be moved inside.
    Not even necessary; just build a big rail panel in the hull that slides away when you need to pop in a new reactor. Or, hell, build a not-big panel. Just have it slide away and create enough space to shove a docker beam through. The reactor just teleports in that way.

Reaction score
    Not even necessary; just build a big rail panel in the hull that slides away when you need to pop in a new reactor. Or, hell, build a not-big panel. Just have it slide away and create enough space to shove a docker beam through. The reactor just teleports in that way.
    But whats the point of making the docked reactors in the first place if you can just build the exact same structure anyway? its not more efficient unless you only have the resources to power one ship at a time and move it between whatever you're flying, and doesnt solve the issue the OP talks about of needing large power structures at all times. unless you're suggesting someone just follows you around and docks it if you need a boost in power then flys back away, and that's just stupid.

Reactions: bigmonmulgrew
    Reaction score
    Docked reactors are more for large ships, as a way to work around the power soft cap. Each reactor has its own soft cap, so you can squeeze more power out without using as much space. The trade off here is the reactors are fairly vulnerable to pulse missiles, and I suppose as of now won't give you any HP benefit.

And you don't *need* to fill most of the interior with blocks, but at the end of the day this is a game, not a spaceship modelling program, so you will lose out to ships that cram more in there. And as said before, lots of people still make ships that look amazing, you just have to except you won't have as much interior to work with as you would in a real ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Oh yes, ruin the EXTERIOR design instead of the interior design. BRILLIANT

but on a more serious note, this isn't changing the game for you. if you want to use the regular power system, that's fine, you can do just that. This is providing an option for ships to store a large quantity of quick-acting reserve power at the cost of a volatile reactor. I see no problems with this system and it would provide an interesting change in the meta of the game.

If your issue is with the fuel-esqe system, look again. 200 power makes one antimatter unit, that can be burnt in one second to make 100 power. you store these in antimatter capacitors, that i assume function similar to normal capacitors, so you can end up storing quite alot of power. each reactor burns 1 unit a second at 100 power each unit. This system allows you to compress excess power into a quick-acting reserve
    ? That was inside the ship, Its a small hanger that contains the generators.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1434775060,1434774980][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Tried that the generators where having bugs and issues because of the number of them, I use a plex door to move them into place. There is enough space to move them in there.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1434775200][/DOUBLEPOST]
    This... is a really closed-minded argument. StarMade is still in alpha and honestly, it hasn't yet decided which direction it's going in.

As to the actual suggestion, maybe. The only problem is that, as the OP said, this would effectively be a buff to bigger ships, which have more space to hide and protect these blocks and can take the explosion more easily - not something we need when large ships are already far too self-sufficient. And as usual, the fuel idea will be more of an annoyance than anything else... Games are supposed to be fun; your ship suddenly not going, leaving you sitting in space for all eternity because your thrusters need an antimatter reactor to work and you ran out of antimatter is not fun.
    Thats what i said. However its unlikely starmade will take the space enginneers route as that game already completely coners that market share
    [DOUBLEPOST=1434777181][/DOUBLEPOST]

Also this

Reaction score
    I'm not really after going for realism or anything here. I'm after producing a ship which does not need a ton of power blocks. I'm making a small ship thats no where near the power cap. The shape of the ship does not allow for particularly efficient reactor design but to even power the thrusters I find myself having to fill most of the empty space, which I left empty for cosmetic reasons, with power blocks. Primarily I want to create some more flexability in designing power systems. I could just add a mod to make a super power reactor that has much higher output but that wouldn't be balanced.

A much more powerful reactor would be a blessing from a cosmetic design standpoint. The mechanics I suggested were just the idea I had to make it balanced in the game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'm not really after going for realism or anything here. I'm after producing a ship which does not need a ton of power blocks. I'm making a small ship thats no where near the power cap. The shape of the ship does not allow for particularly efficient reactor design but to even power the thrusters I find myself having to fill most of the empty space, which I left empty for cosmetic reasons, with power blocks. Primarily I want to create some more flexability in designing power systems. I could just add a mod to make a super power reactor that has much higher output but that wouldn't be balanced.

A much more powerful reactor would be a blessing from a cosmetic design standpoint. The mechanics I suggested were just the idea I had to make it balanced in the game.
    If your not playing on MP modifiy the XML file to up the power per block for power blocks, Other then that this is the very reason interor ships are less effective then non interor ships.