Proper Measurement for ship strength

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    I'd really like to the missile set up a 500 mass ship that can do that kind of damage, especially with point defence being buffed now. The only thing I can think of is Pulse Missiles at point blank range, assuming the ship in question has lost its armour.

I'd say this counts. Just waffle MIS/PULSE/OVERDRIVE as 3/3/3 about 50 times and you'll get this. :p

Target is 50x50x50 capacitors protected by 10 layers of advanced armor, did not remove armor bar, but removed roughly half the ship's mass in about 20 seconds.

The HP update has greatly increased the correlation between mass of a ship and potential performance. If you're looking to make nice interiors, I suggest putting them mostly on the outsides of the ship as they will act somewhat like an extra layer of armor, protecting your guts against certain weapons. Just don't go overboard. Too much of anything will make your ship perform worse.

Roleplay ships should (at least theoretically) no longer have any noteworthy performance disadvantage against spartan ones. In general, they'll just be tankier once shields fall. They're different, but not really weaker. That said, the downfall is that RP ships may come home with armor and block damage more often.
    Armor is inferior to shields, sometimes different IS worse.

The system is far from perfect. IMO, the decoration blocks still weigh too much and provide too much HP. I think both weight and HP should be cut by 50%-75%. It's not horrible as it is, but there's really no reason for them to weigh so much, and the only reason they provide so much HP is to try to compensate for the unnecessary weight.
    This is what i'm complaining about. What i'm saying it should be 0 mass and 0 HP. In every other game cosmetic items do not affect gameplay and i do not understand why people defend the opposite in starmade. Sure, you get it to a point around 0.0000001 mass and 0.0000001 hp per block i don't care, but then what is the point of it? Just remove it.

Reaction score
    There's no tone on forums, i'm sorry i forgot to post enough smileys to properly convey a sufficient degree of whimsical. I hope this helps.
    :p:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::):):):schema::schema::schema::confused::confused::confused::cool::cool::cool::D:p:p:p:p:p:D

Seriously though i am not upset with anyone, there's just something wrong with the game and i want to see that resolved so the game will be better for everyone.

Two things on this: You're comparing something to nothing; of course more armor protects the ship, but replace that armor with shield capacitors and you'll be less than "less dead" "My idea of a combat ship" goes from, according toDivineEvil's stats, 20% shields to 50%; if you skip rechargers you can get 4x shield strength by ignoring interior. Second, i'm talking about cosmetics; armor used as interior or cosmetic blocks like screens, circuitry or plants. interior armor may increase the armor bar, but your ship is still being pumped full of holes. This doesn't happen when your shields are up, are you seriously arguing that armor is a viable alternative to shields?

Why are you arguing against this? Show me a good looking ship with an interior that won't get wasted in combat against a ship with same mass and you win, but personally i've never seen this and i don't believe this exists. Do you actually want combat ships to forever be solid blocks of shield capacitors floating around with a small entrance path to the core?

It's far too early too say how much the HP system will affect things as far as shielding goes (ion weapons and missiles could handle armourless ships pretty nicely in theory), but I do mostly agree at the moment. Once shipyards, repairs and the like are finished, and fixing up damaged ships is less of a hassle, I think shields are due for a major overhaul to make suffering damage more likely.

Something to remember is it will likely always be more effective to place lumps of things down instead of well designed interiors, just from the "more blocks = more stats" nature of the game.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Something to remember is it will likely always be more effective to place lumps of things down instead of well designed interiors, just from the "more blocks = more stats" nature of the game.
    But that's what i'm complaining about! The game isn't finished, they can change how things work :confused:

Reaction score
    Honestly, they kind of can't. Maybe they could scrap everything they've got so far, but that's a very unreasonable suggestion. Even then, is there any viable alternative to the system of "more blocks placed = more whatever that block does? Because I honestly can't think of one.

What they can do is encourage things you could use interior space for, and limit the amount of penalty it gives you. Making interior and decorative blocks take up less mass is a good start. Going back to ships mass not being an indicator of performance, a ship with lots of decorative blocks would have a lower mass compared to one with big lumps of shields, while still getting a hp/armour boost (as of now those shields are more useful realistically, but that is subject to change) . The only disadvantage it really gives you is in efficient use of box dimensions for turning, which is another issue the game needs solving.

Incidentally I gave the missile set up a try, and yeah, it's pretty nuts :p

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    The only disadvantage it really gives you is in efficient use of box dimensions for turning, which is another issue the game needs solving.
    Isn't this solved in a dev build? I remember a 500m long stick tunrning pretty quickly, but i'm not sure.

Honestly, they kind of can't. Maybe they could scrap everything they've got so far, but that's a very unreasonable suggestion.
    I agree that would be unreasonable

Even then, is there any viable alternative to the system of "more blocks placed = more whatever that block does? Because I honestly can't think of one.
    Ignore projectile colission for decorative blocks (Like punch-through but without the damage loss). This should work with missiles as well, as if the missile was smashing through a window without detonating. Beams are a different issue, but at least cannons and missiles can work around it with things allready implemented, and pulses will just rip them off immediately anyway.

Ship to ship colission might be worse. I suppose they could behave like warheads without dealing damage, but that might be really CPU heavy.

I also think you have a bit of a responsibility when building your ship not to make it completely retarded, like a ship with 100 block thick armor of screens. It's not like you can't make a noob cube with 1000 logic operated swarmers, but most servers will just tell you to fuck off. :p

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Worthless. Who gives a shit about your armor/structure when a 500 mass ship can obliterate a capital with a few missiles. It's like armoring your coffin so your corpse is safer; when people are shooting at it you're allready dead. Also the point of cosmetic blocks is that they should not affect the ship; do you think anyone would wear hats in team fortress if they slowed down your character, or made you carry less ammo?
    You refuse to account for anti-missile turrets, which can now shoot down missiles easier, especially with tiny waffle arrays. For each 500 mass of ship you'd suggest, capital ship can dedicate the same tonnage for a large turret, which can potentially shoot you down before you'd even reach the maximum range of your missiles, and a small bit of that weight can be dedicated into several small AMS systems, which would shoot your missiles before they even come near. Your emotional analogies are irrevelant. An armored cube floating in space is not a Capital ship, it's a quite pathetic straw-man.
    No blocks accounting for interior. Also making a combat ship you can easily cut armor down to 10%, so these numbers are basically nonsense. I can also substitute shields for power, or really anything else, and you apparently forgot weapon blocks, but really what on earth is the point of this? Compare a ship with zero interior to a ship with a full interior of the same mass, the interior less ship will ALWAYS be stronger, so why would you put interior on your ship when it cripples your combat ability?
    - Then it takes me one shot trough your shields, after which I can drain you into complete submission.
    - When you will learn to read, you might find, that I delegated weapon blocks into modular space. If you can't even use some of your time for reading what I wrote, why do you even respond to me?
    - Numbers given are for average values for an all-rounder. I've never told that you can't sacrifice something for anything else. That's what the term "Role-specific ships" is given for.
    - Interior does not affect ship's efficiency in any mathematically significant degree. It slightly increases the inner space at expense of the outer space, which has no effect on ship's mass. Unless you're playing an idiot and make completely pointless halls of nothing inside of your ship, which not only play no practical role, but not even aesthetically justified.
    - So you want your interior to buff your combat ability? Maybe you should just shut your complains away and start to give some well thought-out suggestions for a change?
    It is not hard to make a perfect ship. It's impossible. This is the threads problem.
    This is not a problem in the first place.
    You can excuse anything with that. You're basically just telling him to fuck off because he wants to make a ship that's effective in combat and doesn't look like a potato. If you don't care about having combat ships look decent, why are you responding to this thread at all?
    - There's a floating point of balance between being efficient and looking decent. If a space ship looks like a hybrid between a peacock and a Gundam mobile suit, there's no way to make it combat-efficient. Combat ships has to be balanced and constructed tightly, which doesnt mean they have to look like a potato. They have to look like a practical space ship first, without butterfly wings and useless avionics sticking in every direction.
    - I care. I've spent about 4 months developing a system to calculate an efficient balance between essential systems and everything that goes over it, by constructing several iterations of ships with a very defined parameters and analyzing what % of the ship they must take to be reasonable and combat-worthy in a covenient datasheet manner. I left to wonder why should I argue with someone, whose design and combat expertise consists of shooting one static cube with another cube.
    You can make a good looking ship in starmade.
    You can make a powerful combat ship in starmade.
    You CANNOT achieve both in the same build.
    And that's stupid.
    I have a different opinion about what is stupid here. You can make a powerful ship of whatever shape you desire, you only need to decide on the target mass, to make core systems relatively adequate. Then you're free to spend the rest of free mass to make your ship to look quite decent.
    Seriously though i am not upset with anyone, there's just something wrong with the game and i want to see that resolved so the game will be better for everyone.
    Before you'd assume that there's something wrong with the game, you have to find viable arguments to support your position. I see none.
    Two things on this: You're comparing something to nothing; of course more armor protects the ship, but replace that armor with shield capacitors and you'll be less than "less dead" "My idea of a combat ship" goes from, according toDivineEvil's stats, 20% shields to 50%; if you skip rechargers you can get 4x shield strength by ignoring interior.
    - There's an effect that deals additional damage to Shields. There's no effect to deal additional damage to armor anymore - linking Punch and Piercing effects to weapons only increase the damage according to block count.
    - There's now a defensive effect that buffs the efficiency of Armor HP. There's also an effect, that reduces the damage to Armor blocks themselves.
    - Shield Capacitors can be produced from only one raw resource (well, combination of two). Armor can be produced from ANY raw resource, be it Advanced Armor, Hazard Blocks, Blast Doors, Crystal Armor or Forcefields. Armor can take hits from different directions, while depelted shields are essentialy dead weight.
    - After the recent patch, Shields are now needed to protect you and your turrets from tolerable damage by smaller advesaries, so that you wouldn't have to repair your ships all the time. They are not an ultimate durability determiner anymore.

Last edited:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Thread is basically dead imho, but I'mma add in that Missile/Pulse is a Horrible way to show your point, because by far they are the most retarded of missiles (not in the broken sense). They actually do more damage than they are suppose to due to staging, and are so slow that people barely used them with the old PD systems.

Missile/Pulse isn't common enough to really be used as the base of an argument.

Reactions: Raisinbat