Bug Possibly Corrupted Blueprints

Reaction score
    I tried to start Starmade after a long break, however after a bit of trouble I've found that all but the latest of my large builds cause the World0 server to quit to Main Menu. Creating a new universe results in a normal start, however attempting to spawn in aforementioned ships from the catalog will all but poison the server. Going into the local files and deleting the offending ENT files will allow the world to start, but I'm left with having lost access to my most beloved builds.

If there is no way to get my ships to work in Starmade again, I'd love to know if there is a way to extract the models to OBJ format instead so I can at least keep those.

Reviewed material:
    ⚡ How do I recover ships or stations from broken worlds?
    Single Player World Fails to Load

I tried to Google for anything related to Error 29998 on starmadedock.net, but received no results.
    "Your search - site:StarMade Dock "Error 29998" - did not match any documents"

When I ran into the issue:
    Started Starmade
    Selected World0, and pressed play
    I was presented with error 29998
    ====================================================
    Edit October 5, 2017:

StarMade v0.199.654(a) - Corrupting version

StarMade v0.199.646 - Rollback version

Within the World0 folder, I've tried:
    "
    Deleting chatchannels.tag
    Deleting CATALOG.cat
    Deleting SIMULATION_STATE.sim
    Deleting TRADING.tag
    Deleting FACTIONS.fac
    " -SmilingDemon, Single Player World Fails to Load

Deleting all entities
    (Deleting all of the entities, especially the ships I created and copies from backups of such, will allow World0 to be started again. This doesn't fix the problem I have.)

Creating a new universe and spawning the ships from the most recent catalog
    Creating a new universe and spawning the ships from an older copy of my catalog backup

"
    -copy the ship's entity name (e.g. "myname_numbers.ent" without the .ent) from the serverfolder that doesn't load
    -load new, fresh universe in client, spawn a core, name that core by pasting the"myname_numbers", exit universe
    -copy everything with "myname_numbers" from the crashed server over to the fresh server(yes, replace existing)
    -load the new universe, core should now bee your recovered ship
    -save blueprint, exit, launch catalog tool, export for backup.
    " -DrTarDIS, Single Player World Fails to Load

I increased memory from 8gb to 12gb, then down to 10gb. Attempts to start World0 failed, but were not met with Error 29998.

I followed the instructions here: ⚡ How do I recover ships or stations from broken worlds?
    When I reached the end, I was presented with Error 29998.
    I have log files on G-Drive:
    [Problem Resolved, G-Drive link removed]

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Wow, I got sourced. You did your homework.

Have you tried a rollback to a version around when they last worked? You should be able to do that from the launcher, just scroll to a version from around& a little after you last played. I'd reccomend doing this in a different install directory (eg "Oldstarmade") and copy the world/blueprints over to it.
    If that works, try saving the blueprints, then exporting them with the catalog manager tool(you'll need to be in windowed mode for that, for reasons you'll see if you try it in fullscreen). Assuming you manage to export them, you SHOULD be able to use the same tool in the "latest version" by importing them with the same catalog tool.

Hope it helps.

Edit, after looking at your logfile, "PI_LED_IS998_MK_IV" seems to be the specific BP that's throwing errors?
    [2017-09-05 14:30:05] java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 29998
    Seems to be throwing that while it's trying to build a mesh for shield capacitors, which is verry weird. I wonder if Lancake has seen this one before?
    Here's hoping the rollback->export->update method works for you, if not you might need to strip out all the systems in the ship in whatever older version does work, resave bp, re-export, re-import, and then rebuild the systems.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Wow, I got sourced. You did your homework.

Have you tried a rollback to a version around when they last worked? You should be able to do that from the launcher, just scroll to a version from around& a little after you last played. I'd reccomend doing this in a different install directory (eg "Oldstarmade") and copy the world/blueprints over to it.
    If that works, try saving the blueprints, then exporting them with the catalog manager tool(you'll need to be in windowed mode for that, for reasons you'll see if you try it in fullscreen). Assuming you manage to export them, you SHOULD be able to use the same tool in the "latest version" by importing them with the same catalog tool.

Hope it helps.

Edit, after looking at your logfile, "PI_LED_IS998_MK_IV" seems to be the specific BP that's throwing errors?
    [2017-09-05 14:30:05] java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 29998
    Seems to be throwing that while it's trying to build a mesh for shield capacitors, which is verry weird. I wonder if Lancake has seen this one before?
    Here's hoping the rollback->export->update method works for you, if not you might need to strip out all the systems in the ship in whatever older version does work, resave bp, re-export, re-import, and then rebuild the systems.
    The only problem with the rollback plan is that I don't actually know what version I would need to go back to. The last time I saved a ship was sometime in April'17. Is there a version/date list?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    The only problem with the rollback plan is that I don't actually know what version I would need to go back to. The last time I saved a ship was sometime in April'17. Is there a version/date list?
    schema -> Postings tab
    There's your version/date list. Well, the closest thing to it I can think of.

Reaction score
    schema -> Postings tab
    There's your version/date list. Well, the closest thing to it I can think of.
    StarMade v0.199.654(a) corrupting version

StarMade v0.199.646 Rollback version

(Adding that to OP)
    Thank you for the help you provided. I got carried away with life for a bit, however I eventually got back around to this. I can't remember the exact process (for future reference, or lack thereof ^^;), however I did manage to port my old ships over to the new version. I also took the time to export each complete ship as a 3D-Object.

Do I need to lock this thread? How so?