Which method of FTL do you prefer?

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'd rather not see FTL transit times as "waiting" in hyperspace. If charge times increased with the distance traveled, that would a) implement the "travel time" mechanic while b) allowing ships attempting to jump to be interacted with.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Well, I did express the idea of needing to bookmark a node with a block, then being able to warp there at any time, if you could charge up that much energy before you got board.

To make Sub-light still mean something. Otherwise it's never efficient to fly analogue, and everything would become boring.

That's why I like the idea of separate power storage. You can make it cost more energy than you could if you used the built-in storage.
    "Never efficient to fly analogue". Well, duh. Even with FTL travel time, it still wouldn't be more efficient to fly analogue. People will fly analogue because you need to for battles, moving around in shorter areas, mining, ect.

Reactions: Blodge
    Reaction score
    I forgot how small a block is. 150-1500 sounds about right.
    Lol

The value of transit time: Transit time adds to the strategic complexity of the game. It adds value to the aggregation of rare trade goods. It adds aspects of staging and supply lines to military actions. Which is more interesting from a game perspective? Calling for help against a pirate incursion and your entire fleet materializes instantly at your back... or calling for help, and hoping someone is in range to assist before you get slagged?
    Couldn't have said it better myself...

Well, I did express the idea of needing to bookmark a node with a block, then being able to warp there at any time, if you could charge up that much energy before you got board.

To make Sub-light still mean something. Otherwise it's never efficient to fly analogue, and everything would become boring.

That's why I like the idea of separate power storage. You can make it cost more energy than you could if you used the built-in storage.
    The problem that I have with nodes is that it makes you fly there first, you should be able to go there using FTL, maybe nodes make it easier to jump? Sub-light would still have a use at your destination, and in smaller/(capital?) ships that don't have a drive fitted. I'd almost rather fly 30 min over waiting 5, even 2 min. Station based portals can work for sub-light ships, and maybe you can set up FTL jammers to make jumps... interesting.

I think that coming up with new things (brainstorming) would be beneficial here too...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Having the waiting be in realspace as opposed to hyperspace means more opportunities for interaction, whether positive or negative. You could get ambushed while waiting to jump. However, if the station has the facilities for it, you could repair your ship, do some trading, anything that doesn't require the use of the ship, while you wait for it to charge.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    Having the waiting be in realspace as opposed to hyperspace means more opportunities for interaction, whether positive or negative. You could get ambushed while waiting to jump. However, if the station has the facilities for it, you could repair your ship, do some trading, anything that doesn't require the use of the ship, while you wait for it to charge.
    I think so far everyone's expressed that feeling, (if they wanted a delay between jumps). You put it quite well though :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    The problem that I have with nodes is that it makes you fly there first, you should be able to go there using FTL, maybe nodes make it easier to jump? Sub-light would still have a use at your destination, and in smaller/(capital?) ships that don't have a drive fitted. I'd almost rather fly 30 min over waiting 5, even 2 min. Station based portals can work for sub-light ships, and maybe you can set up FTL jammers to make jumps... interesting.

I think that coming up with new things (brainstorming) would be beneficial here too...
    Well, for jammers... You can "jam" a station by using a powerdrain beam to drain it of it's power, which it needs to make jumps, and if you attempt to jump to a destroyed station using a safe warp, things do get "interesting", though I think the idea of a weapon specifically designed to screw with the station FTL is interesting (there's no way to easily apply it to an aria of space, rather than a station).

I thought that too, but I couldn't figure out how to make node-based have any real role if ships can FTL on their own, and I like the effects it has on population, economy, and strategy. Any suggestions on how you could do that?

The concept of only some ships being able to FTL efficiently (soft limits) is interesting. What ones would be able to, and what ones not able to?

Reaction score
    Well, for jammers... You can "jam" a station by using a powerdrain beam to drain it of it's power, which it needs to make jumps, and if you attempt to jump to a destroyed station using a safe warp, things do get "interesting", though I think the idea of a weapon specifically designed to screw with the station FTL is interesting (there's no way to easily apply it to an *edit*--area-- of space, rather than a station).

I thought that too, but I couldn't figure out how to make node-based have any real role if ships can FTL on their own, and I like the effects it has on population, economy, and strategy. Any suggestions on how you could do that?

The concept of only some ships being able to FTL efficiently (soft limits) is interesting. What ones would be able to, and what ones not able to?
    You could make a FTL drive need to be large to work efficiently, if you want to make a small array, you could end up with a very long cooldown for example. It could be mass based, like the cloak, so the larger ships need larger arrays to run well. Other than cooldowns, you could have slower hyperspace speeds or charge ups, to improve these requires more energy. Perhaps thrusters are a better analog to this idea. In order to promote node/station based FTL, make it easier to travel to such nodes/stations (By stations I mean fixed portals/acceleration gates/stargates/mass relays, nodes are targets for ships that have an FTL drive) I was thinking of *expensive* passive jammers that alliances can set up to block/delay transit, as they have to be avoided/destroyed/bypassed in sub-light, perhaps a semi-passive system that must be maintained would work. On the other hand, I would love to intercept/decelerate people in hyperspace, maybe even in-slipspace battles or going ahead of your opponent with a better drive and ambushing him. Soft limits should go on most aspects of travel, they make it a bit harder to travel but balance combat/trade/whatever else you do. I think that your "surprises" would make such travel impractical, unless they are rare and you can get an idea of the risk. Powerdrain beams cannot disable a station for a significant period of time/at all, but shooting it would, perhaps that tachyon field thing would be disrupted, disabling the station, you could also use that for cooldowns/de-warping and such, dissipating the field with drive modifiers to shorten cooldowns and disrupting it to destroy/prevent warp fields with standard weapons and/or anti-warp cannons. I liked that post BTW, it looks like we have ideas being discussed/invented here, which I like to see happen.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    You could make a FTL drive need to be large to work efficiently, if you want to make a small array, you could end up with a very long cooldown for example. It could be mass based, like the cloak, so the larger ships need larger arrays to run well. Other than cooldowns, you could have slower hyperspace speeds or charge ups, to improve these requires more energy. Perhaps thrusters are a better analog to this idea. In order to promote node/station based FTL, make it easier to travel to such nodes/stations (By stations I mean fixed portals/acceleration gates/stargates/mass relays, nodes are targets for ships that have an FTL drive) I was thinking of *expensive* passive jammers that alliances can set up to block/delay transit, as they have to be avoided/destroyed/bypassed in sub-light, perhaps a semi-passive system that must be maintained would work. On the other hand, I would love to intercept/decelerate people in hyperspace, maybe even in-slipspace battles or going ahead of your opponent with a better drive and ambushing him. Soft limits should go on most aspects of travel, they make it a bit harder to travel but balance combat/trade/whatever else you do. I think that your "surprises" would make such travel impractical, unless they are rare and you can get an idea of the risk. Powerdrain beams cannot disable a station for a significant period of time/at all, but shooting it would, perhaps that tachyon field thing would be disrupted, disabling the station, you could also use that for cooldowns/de-warping and such, dissipating the field with drive modifiers to shorten cooldowns and disrupting it to destroy/prevent warp fields with standard weapons and/or anti-warp cannons. I liked that post BTW, it looks like we have ideas being discussed/invented here, which I like to see happen.
    I don't actually know how powerdrain beams work, I just figured they stole power from the target.

I think that would be an interesting mechanic (largers systems draw more power, speed things up)

Yeah, you could also break it by shooing things :)

Surprises?

I designed it to be easier to get to node, with bookmarked jumps, but you have to be careful to not make it too easy to use as an escape route.

Reaction score
    I don't actually know how powerdrain beams work, I just figured they stole power from the target.

I think that would be an interesting mechanic (larger systems draw more power, speed things up)

Yeah, you could also break it by shooting things :)

Surprises?

I designed it to be easier to get to node, with bookmarked jumps, but you have to be careful to not make it too easy to use as an escape route.
    I have no problem with warp being an escape if people can chase you and you can't just go forever, giving opponents a chance to leave. If FTL drives can be bigger, it has to scale with the ship to make the decision relevant in a corvette and a titan, and specialized ships would be very good at FTL naturally. Powerdrain beams are so underpowered because you can only do anything if you hit the generators, and the drain beam has to be bigger than the target last time I checked.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It should be like BSG. You need to calculate from location -> destination and that takes a long time. You also should not be able to move or the calculation will need to restart.

Reaction score
    It should be like BSG. You need to calculate from location -> destination and that takes a long time. You also should not be able to move or the calculation will need to restart.
    That defeats the point, FTL is more of a fast-travel idea. I have to go 7 sectors to get to the nearest shop to my base, I'd rather take the 5 minutes of travel than sit in one place and do nothing. If you have a way to make the charge up not be tedious, please mention it.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I have no problem with warp being an escape if people can chase you and you can't just go forever, giving opponents a chance to leave. If FTL drives can be bigger, it has to scale with the ship to make the decision relevant in a corvette and a titan, and specialized ships would be very good at FTL naturally. Powerdrain beams are so underpowered because you can only do anything if you hit the generators, and the drain beam has to be bigger than the target last time I checked.
    I'd rather not have FTL be like cloaking, in that if you want to be able to use it, you need to make your ship ugly and made of power bricks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    That defeats the point, FTL is more of a fast-travel idea. I have to go 7 sectors to get to the nearest shop to my base, I'd rather take the 5 minutes of travel than sit in one place and do nothing. If you have a way to make the charge up not be tedious, please mention it.
    Have you ever watched BSG? They cannot move too far because their computers have to find a path to the other endpoint without hitting anything.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Schema has said that jump gates and wormholes are coming after the crafting fix update, and that comes after the weapons update.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    NASS has working FTL now. If you'd like to test it out.
    !FOLD (X Y Z) lets you travel in a vessel from any place to a destination within 15 sectors (IE from 2 2 2 to -17 -17 -17). The warm up is 60 seconds and the cool down is 9 min.
    !JUMP (destination) lets you jump from one jump enabled sector to another but only if you specified the name AND if you are allowed to enter the destination.
    You can get a list of valid jumps using !JUMPLIST but right now you can only jump from 2 2 2 (SPAWN) to 8 5 9 (SR7). The warm up is only 15 seconds with a cool down of 60 seconds. I think..

Reactions: Darth Cestual
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I would only like to have warpgates, or stationary providers of FTL, if I could make them myself. For example, by having a certain set of blocks that, when combined, create a functional warpgate. Because it would be a tad bit boring if all we get is one style of warpgate.

But if that would not work, I would gladly have a FTL drive on my titans, and avoid all the bumping when travelling around.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    There's been a lot of variation on a single idea thrown around, and that idea is ship-borne FTL/warp systems with sets of limitations and rules so as to not create negative play habits. Considering that I'm more of a fan of a simple and effective gate-based system of FTL, what's important about ship based FTL with a lot of limiters that warpgate based FTL without limiters doesn't provide?

Status
    Not open for further replies.