Poll for FTL travel

Which method of FTL do you prefer?

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    And i added some crazy idea i was thinking, ships that go to make the jump to FTL, should have a countdown before taking the leap and anything around this should jump along with the ship.

This would prevent you can use an emergency jump to escape all the enemy ships.
    No...just no...

Fwyrl Take away all weapons and give the FTL a chance to fail based on damage. If someone is losing really badly, they are not going to be able to use it, however, if they just get into a sticky situation they can use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    As I think of Starmade go scripteo think the track jumping ships should not be simple to implement, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    I think that tracking jumps would be a good way to balance a cooldown, especially one that allows a few jumps before requiring a cooldown (like the Halo plasma weapons) You can give chase, but you both can't jump forever.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    Vyor
    I don't see why that couldn't be done (making an emergency jump less "stable" the more dmg you had). And I can see the appeal. I'd probably vote for making it a config option.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    What if you could make emergency jumps that would require no charge up time, but would teleport you to a completely random spot within 5-10 sectors? You could escape from a doomed fight, but horrible things would be likely to happen. You could warp inside a star, or have asteroids get imbedded in the ship, or have your ship instantly destroyed when you warp into the center of a planet.

If you warp and there is something in the way, the blocks that phase into another object should be destroyed. This would also work with Warp Gates, in that you could have a trap set up where you lure an enemy after a smaller ship, which manages to barely squeeze through the exit gate, but the enemy pursuer exits to find it has had most of it sliced away and lost during warp.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Vyor
    I don't see why that couldn't be done (making an emergency jump less "stable" the more dmg you had). And I can see the appeal. I'd probably vote for making it a config option.
    Making it less stable, I can go with that. Having it always do it? What would be the point?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    OK, so why not just make a normal jump? I want to have SOME directed ship-based FTL
    How about...
    • FTL requires a certain base power level (100k in storage, maybe) to prevent small ships from being able to direct jump
    • Warp Gates allow small ships to jump, but only to other linked gates
    • Large Ships have two ftl types- directed and emergency
    • Directed jumps drain power (100k/sector jumped?) and bring up a nav window that asks you to enter a sector to warp to. It will never warp you inside another object. It has a charge up time.
    • Emergency Jumps drain (100k) and put you in a random sector within 5-10 of the starter jump. It has no charge up time. It does not have a safety mechanism to prevent warping into objects, and if you warp into an asteroid or other object, it will rip blocks of your ship out.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    How about...
    • FTL requires a certain base power level (100k in storage, maybe) to prevent small ships from being able to direct jump
    • Directed jumps drain power (100k/sector jumped?) and bring up a nav window that asks you to enter a sector to warp to. It will never warp you inside another object. It has a charge up time.
    • Emergency Jumps drain (100k) and put you in a random sector within 5-10 of the starter jump. It has no charge up time. It does not have a safety mechanism to prevent warping into objects, and if you warp into an asteroid or other object, it will rip blocks of your ship out.
    FTL drives could also be capable of charging energy beyond your storage abilities. That way a ship could spend 5 minutes charging for a jump when it would otherwise have to fly for 30 minutes to get to a given location. Dunno.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    How about...
    Yes, a thousand yeses.

Reaction score
    Lecic said:

How about...
    Maybe direct jumps should be smaller if its per sector. I have a a pretty big ship and it would only be able to move four sectors. Something like 50k might be better. What ever it is, it has to be more than the starting power capacity (20k).
    Every thing else sounds awesome.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Vyor, I wish I could up-vote you more. What you said, I couldn't have said better, so I shall tag my thoughts behind yours.

The power-beam in Star-made allows for a sort of hybrid system. What if a small-ship with an individual jump drive, but without the power to drive it were to park in a major power-delivery beam. This would give you almost the "jump gate" dynamic but without the need for a second mechanism.

The other thing is that I don't want us to fall into the trap of arbitrary "small" and "large" categorization for ships. Let math do the categorization for us. If we define the power requirement for the jump based on a linear function like the sum of the dimensions, meanwhile the volume of the ship for power generation purposes expands on the cube. That should give you a natural threshold for warp capability, settable at the server level. But there is more we could do to affect game balance in some interesting and even plausible ways.

Proximity to a star system could affect such jumps. The bigger the ship, the "flatter" space has to be to jump safely. The larger the ship and the closer to a star, the greater the amount of random block damage on departure and arrival. This would deter Uber-carriers from suddenly (and rudely) appearing over peaceful planets. Damage-free jumps would only be possible in void sectors. Or if not damage, perhaps the energy cost goes up exponentially as you get closer to a star.

Jump cost in power could also be a function of the distance jumped. This might allow a medium sized ship to achieve short jumps of a sector or so to the next planet, even if they couldn't make it to the next star system.

With the addition of FTL, I imagine the universe should change a lot. Stars should be much more sparse in general, but with regular binaries and stelar clusters. Exploration would take on real meaning as we discovered the best travel-routes between locations, and discovered strategic trade-routes and mining corridors. At the moment if you have obnoxious neighbors, just move 100 sectors away and set up shop. There are just as many stars and planets there as anywhere else. But if you have a cluster of 5 stars nicely situated in a void between friendly factions... Now you have something to hold on to.

Reaction score
    I would like it, but I would it to be HUGE. As in , the smallest being a 15 block cube, and only then goes though a star system in about 5 seconds, a 40 block one sending you across the universe at a system a missisipi second (so you still park in the target system), The idea being a bunch of little ships docking to the massive FTL ship like people on a bus.

Reaction score
    But You should not Activated the Hyperdrive and pouf appeir at the destination... its could talk like 1 minutes by 6 sector?(an exemple)
    and add some great effect we can see by the window.. (like in Stargate Sg-1,Universe or Atlantis)

Reactions: RedDragonflyxx
    Reaction score
    I would like it, but I would it to be HUGE. As in , the smallest being a 15 block cube, and only then goes though a star system in about 5 seconds, a 40 block one sending you across the universe at a system a missisipi second (so you still park in the target system), The idea being a bunch of little ships docking to the massive FTL ship like people on a bus.
    15 block? thats tiny, you mean 150-1500?
    But You should not Activated the Hyperdrive and pouf appeir at the destination... its could talk like 1 minutes by 6 sector?(an exemple)
    and add some great effect we can see by the window.. (like in Stargate Sg-1,Universe or Atlantis)
    Agreed, we need some transit time

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    For what purpose do we need travel time?

Reaction score
    Yes, please bring FTL into the game. If there is a way to use the already exciting teleport mechanics, most of the job is done already :)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The value of transit time: Transit time adds to the strategic complexity of the game. It adds value to the aggregation of rare trade goods. It adds aspects of staging and supply lines to military actions. Which is more interesting from a game perspective? Calling for help against a pirate incursion and your entire fleet materializes instantly at your back... or calling for help, and hoping someone is in range to assist before you get slagged?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    The value of transit time: Transit time adds to the strategic complexity of the game. It adds value to the aggregation of rare trade goods. It adds aspects of staging and supply lines to military actions. Which is more interesting from a game perspective? Calling for help against a pirate incursion and your entire fleet materializes instantly at your back... or calling for help, and hoping someone is in range to assist before you get slagged?
    well said

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    OK, so why not just make a normal jump? I want to have SOME directed ship-based FTL
    Well, I did express the idea of needing to bookmark a node with a block, then being able to warp there at any time, if you could charge up that much energy before you got board.
    For what purpose do we need travel time?
    To make Sub-light still mean something. Otherwise it's never efficient to fly analogue, and everything would become boring.
    FTL drives could also be capable of charging energy beyond your storage abilities. That way a ship could spend 5 minutes charging for a jump when it would otherwise have to fly for 30 minutes to get to a given location. Dunno.
    That's why I like the idea of separate power storage. You can make it cost more energy than you could if you used the built-in storage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.