Personal Defense - Armor, Weapons, Boarding, Robots, and Medicine

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There is nothing really much more to say, we all put down our own thoughts and ideas and made this lengthy thread that you should feel proud of, without this thread of I wouldn\'t of thought of making the vehicle cores into mechwarriors.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe, to prevent people from having indestructible shields on the interior, the entire interior of the ship would have to be filled with Interior Blocks. Interior Blocks are invisible, but they allow oxygen to flow through them, and they allow gravity to work. Then, we can have vents that go around plexdoors. Maybe we can have multiple types of plexdoors for this purpose. Adding to OP.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would like interior blocks, maybe not invisible blocks, but blocks that look like wood or bricks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    We need metal floor tiles :0

That\'s something you\'d put on the interior of a ship. I can\'t see wood being on the interior of a ship, it\'s not futuristic enough :(

But yeah, more decorative blocks would be nice, we need space hulks that have computers for walls

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, the fact is they won\'t on ships or in space or non-oxygen rich planets as fire requires oxygen to burn.

They might work on SOME planets due to their atmospheres. but the bottom line is oxygen is nesscecary for fire to, well, you know, be on fire. :s

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Also, do you mean this would be implemented like smaller ships?

e.g. making the gun (perhaps to a set size) just like a ship and then making the player hold It?

if so that\'s an awesome idea!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Correct me if im wrong but i think the RL flame throwers use comppresed air to shot the flameble liquid out, so they would sorta work in O2 less enviroments?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That oxygen mentioned before... I want to return to this. If you think about it, u can use them to defeat flames on ship, which would be another great feature...really. Youre hit by rocket, the flames are spreading towards the CIC. Solution: Wipe out oxygen! That will stop ship from burning. However , Flames would be very rare at ships, because explosins that both lights fire and opens part of ship on fire to vaccum immidieatly stops the fire.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I had a thought, why not have the character weapons be blocks? Except for something small and sweet.

My plan (using numbers based on 100 because percents are easy)

Say a player has base 100hp.

Every character always has a laser pistol on them, like, press \'\'f\'\' to quickly switch to laser pistol, press \'\'f\'\' again to switch to other weapon. Laser pistol has base damage of 5-10, firing speed of lv1 AMC, and unlimited ammo. Now, you can buy a weapon block. There would be a few different types of weapon blocks. They go in your ship/spacestation. If you buy a machine gun block, you press (r) to take a machine gun, same goes for sniper-rifles, rocket launchers, grenade launchers, plasma rifles, miniguns, etc. What\'s the best part? as a ship block, they are better the more ship blocks you have (up to a max of, like, 6 for a full weapons locker.) The \'better\' in this case is an ammo count. A single machine gun block gives you 50 shots, 2 give you 100, up to 300 ammo. Once you have no ammo they are removed from inventory and you switch back to basic laser pistol.

theoretical item list:

laser pistol: dmg: 5-10, firing spd: base AMC firing speed, range: medium, ammo/block: infinity

machine gun: dmg: 5-10, firing spd: 10/s, range: short (high bullet spread), ammo/block: 50

gattling gun: dmg: 2-4, firing spd: 20/s, range: medium (medium bullet spread), ammo/block: 100

sniper rifle: dmg: 120, firing spd: 0.5/s, range: far (scope), ammo/block: 10

shotgun: dmg: 7 per bullet (12buckshot), firing spd: 2/s, range: short (spread), ammo/block: 15

laser rifle: dmg: 30, firing spd: 5/s, range: long, ammo/block: 30

plasma rifle: dmg: 70 point-blank, 50 close, 20 medium, firing spd: 4/s, range: medium, ammo/block: 20

grenade: dmg: 150 (explosive), firing spd: 0.7/s, range: short (affected by gravity), ammo/block: 6

grenade launcher: dmg: 150 (explosive), firing spd: 1/s, range: medium (affected by gravity), ammo/block: 5

rocket launcher: dmg: 200 (explosive), firing spd: 0.7/s, range: far, ammo/block: 5

missile launcher: dmg: 200 (explosive), firing spd: lock-on, range: far, ammo/block: 5

In this chart anything marked as explosive has damage falloff of around 40 per meter from point of detonation. Plasma cools down the farther it gets out of the barrel and, therefore, has damage falloff over range. Grenades and grenade launchers can bounce around corners. Rocket launcher is a dumb-fire rocket while missile launcher requires a lock-on between every shot. I like to think these stats are balanced/can be balanced by price differences in storage blocks, but testing would be needed to make sure.
    Things I think should be different between ship-weapons and handheld weapons:
    1) Core Damage: Damage to the ship core should be half done directly to the person inside and half to the core itself. This means if you sneak into a ship you can kill the capitain without destroying the vessel. I only think this is reasonable for non-explosive weapons, but if you were to shoot the pilot of a ship in the back of the head it wouldn\'t destroy the entire ship. This would also make for a good hijacking mechanism.

2) Consistent damage: No matter how much ammo a weapon has it should be a standard amount of damage, that means when you see someone with a weapon you can strategize around their weapon instead of hoping it isn\'t an exploding sniper-rifle minigun. While I like the idea of customizing weapons, I feel like standardized damage would be better for strategy.

3) Armor-peircing: With these damage levels, armor-peircing weapons would be no problem. some may argue that with that strategy people would try to take out ships with only sidearms. While it is difficult to break through a big shield (to the point that I believe shields need to be nerfed somehow), do you really think people are going to expose their squishy bodies to fire a 200 damage rocket (which would probably break one block (I assume a cubic meter of spaceship hull is tougher than a cubic meter of flesh and bones)) when they have a rapid-fire AMC that hits 300 damage 30 times a second?

I would also recommend an engineer-tool (plasma cutter, infinite ammo, number of blocks determines cutting speed, low of 15 seconds per-hull, high of 3 seconds per hull) that can cut through a ship block by block in place of a primary weapon (keeping a laser pistol as a sidearm.) Whenever a block is broken by this, the entire ship\'s shields should flash red to alert the captain and their allies of a boarding party.

These rely on a beam that will teleport you onto an enemy ship, give you immediate gravity (falling towards whatever angle you hit the ship on, so you don\'t just fly off). It may dock your ship to the enemy\'s wherever you\'ve fired so your ship becomes harder to hit if fired correctly (and would probably not be able to dock on engine blocks for what should be obvious reasons.) Ideally, this will only be able to fire 1 beam at once so you know where you\'re landing. It will, of course, be easier to aim at bigger ships with this beam. How will big ships avoid this?

The Billy AI. Rather than a complicated docking sysyem like ship turrets, the Billy AI would act as rotatable block. Place down the Billy directly onto your ship and all press (r) to program it. Any blocks placed atop it become able to rotate and activate. Being fast and easy, it can only control about 3-5 blocks on top of it (so it isn\'t a replacement for Bobby). It takes power from the ship and fires it\'s weapon only at human (not ship) targets. How would this be properly balanced so someone could not line up 500 Billys on the way to the cockpit? Billy, like player-held weapons, can also penetrate your ships shields. 500 Billys firing at a boarder kills him instantly, but makes a hole in your ship. 2 Billys is an even match for one boarder. 3 Billys have the upper-hand.

A Billy with a shield generator has more health than a Billy without one. A Billy with 3 AMCs does more damage than one with 2 AMCs. A billy with a rocket launcher fires rockets with a nerfed explosion radius (so missile-AIs can be useful without being self-destructive). There is a potential for new Billy-only blocks that I don\'t want to think up (Poison gas, vent oxygen in a range, set off an alarm, etc).

Anyways, those are my thoughts for now.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Your post is probably really good and probably has a lot of good points and such but since it\'s SOO much and I don\'t feel like reading I\"ll just tell you anyway. Shema is thinking of adding Non-blocks into the game in the future, if you go to \"News\" there you will see a new post Shema added showing a new item that is a non-block item, if weapons are added into the game they probably won\'t be blocks but look like actual space blocks. Hopefully he sees this thread and uses some of the ideas that were added here, especially that weapons customize grid. It can help us make the most stupidest looking overpowered sons of bitches out there, instead of showing off your ship, you\"ll most likely show off your gun. I\'ll read your post once I\'m lazy of being lazy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i went into a bunch of specifics there, so let me give you the cliffnotes of the weapon section of my comment:

The weapons themselves would look like weapons. The blocks I suggested are more like lockers where weapons are stored. For balance reasons, my weapons had a liited ammo capacity, but since i hate the idea of running out of ammo, the blocks were basically places to bring weapons to max ammo.

I do like the awesome grid idea, but, as you said, \"the most stupidest looking overpowered sons of bitches out there,\" is exactly what would happen. My message gives a theoretical method of balancing the weapons, and, with only a few types of weapons, I think it would theoretically be easier for the game to load \'simple pistol\' or \'generic rocket launcher\' than \'super awesome rainbow powered missile-flinging machine gun.\'

(note; simple loading is important to me because my computer drops to 3fps landing on a planet, so anywhere that can save space helps)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i mean i don\'t hate the idea of running out, i hate the idea of paying for more. I also feel if you\'re inside your own ship or station that you should have the advantage when it comes to ammo.

And yes, melee weapons should be cool. I am excited for the next big update.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If there was only a way for shema to see this or at least let us know that he sees our threads and ideas. I kind of feel it\'s a waste of brain power putting down ideas and making long complicated posts showing the values and percentages of a weapon or shield or even droid mechanics if the creator of the game doesn\'t even know this ideas exist.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I assume he at least looks here every now and then, but i\'m sure he has a lot to be working on. If only there were a way to rate up or down ideas. (is there? i\'m new here)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    and on reading the second sticky, i realize there is a new suggestion medium. Unfortunately, I don\'t think I could make this thread into a suggestion small enough to fit there nicely.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe they\'d look at the suggestion boards more often if people wouldn\'t post something things that are already suggested :/

Seriously this is the main reason suggestions are getting clogged up - People don\'t bother to follow the new medium

Though I suppose I\'d be a hypocrite since personal defense was most likely already suggested