Performance help/advice

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    this issue sucks in my opinion ruins the game for me.
    Yeah...I am not the guy to be building 7 million block ships, but to load a planet and a few capital ships at once at 60 would be great.

Reaction score
    Yeah...I am not the guy to be building 7 million block ships, but to load a planet and a few capital ships at once at 60 would be great.
    yeah I agree I used to be able to do that now I cant I even tried overclocking but it didn't make much of a difference.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Go on a server someone is hosting, since this game demands a lot of power from most CPU's. If you are still not getting at least 100 FPS stable when around a planet, something i cant think of is wrong.
    Theres is no difference between server and singleplayer, still remains 30-40 fps :(

Reaction score
    Theres is no difference between server and singleplayer, still remains 30-40 fps :(
    yep servers and single player doesn't make a difference its because of how servers work also did you turn of shaders because shaders is a huge FPS killer even with a nividia GeForce 760 graphics card it still has HUGE performance issues even the nividia geforce titan black wont be capable of giving you 60 fps with shaders enabled and its a freaken nividia geforce titan black! the most powerful graphics card on the market!

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    yep servers and single player doesn't make a difference its because of how servers work also did you turn of shaders because shaders is a huge FPS killer even with a nividia GeForce 760 graphics card it still has HUGE performance issues even the nividia geforce titan black wont be capable of giving you 60 fps with shaders enabled and its a freaken nividia geforce titan black! the most powerful graphics card on the market!
    yeah i turned them off. With them on however i get 30 fps even when only a shop is loaded! the gpu i use (r9 280x) is equivalent to a gtx 770. i just don't understand how i see people streaming on twitch loading giant ships with planets and schizz and on top of that shaders and they have still decent framerate :(

Reaction score
    yeah i turned them off. With them on however i get 30 fps even when only a shop is loaded! the gpu i use (r9 280x) is equivalent to a gtx 770. i just don't understand how i see people streaming on twitch loading giant ships with planets and schizz and on top of that shaders and they have still decent framerate :(
    they probably have the same around the same CPU I have I have a AMD eight core 4.4 GHZ CPU the things a beast and I can have that many planets loaded and get 60+ FPS its just ships with more blocks cause more lag a planet has around 1m block and my PC can get 60+ FPS with a 3M block ship fine.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I was having a similar problem, my monitor has a 60hz refresh rate. I had vertical sync on, and it was limited to about 60fps at all times. Until I loaded in a monster of a ship, when it dropped to 20-30 fps. Turning vert sync off gave me a fixed 110+ fps.

I had turned vert sync on due to my old graphics having problems with major screen tearing. I no longre have this problem with my new graphics card.

Reaction score
    I was having a similar problem, my monitor has a 60hz refresh rate. I had vertical sync on, and it was limited to about 60fps at all times. Until I loaded in a monster of a ship, when it dropped to 20-30 fps. Turning vert sync off gave me a fixed 110+ fps.

I had turned vert sync on due to my old graphics having problems with major screen tearing. I no longre have this problem with my new graphics card.
    I get the same fps with vertical sync enabled or disabled so it doesn't make a difference for me atleast :P.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I get the same fps with vertical sync enabled or disabled so it doesn't make a difference for me atleast :p.
    Vsync for some reason doens't even work - it doesn't remove screen tear and the fps is the exact same

Reaction score
    Vsync for some reason doens't even work - it doesn't remove screen tear and the fps is the exact same
    agreed also the lag issue is cpu related not graphics related making it impossible to fix with ingame settings and can only be fixed by making chunks only update when needed like in the past.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    they probably have the same around the same CPU I have I have a AMD eight core 4.4 GHZ CPU the things a beast and I can have that many planets loaded and get 60+ FPS its just ships with more blocks cause more lag a planet has around 1m block and my PC can get 60+ FPS with a 3M block ship fine.
    3.000.000 block ships should not be an issue with your CPU.

I get the same fps with vertical sync enabled or disabled so it doesn't make a difference for me atleast :p.
    Sounds a bit like 'enforced vsync' by drivers. For me it sometimes works good and nails down the FPS to my refresh rate, and depending on profile my notebook uses it does not work and seems like 'always on'. So I guess it is by 'overriding' settings via drivers.

agreed also the lag issue is cpu related not graphics related making it impossible to fix with ingame settings and can only be fixed by making chunks only update when needed like in the past.
    The overall needed CPU-usage, went down over the summer and reached it lowest point around January.
    Since then there were large and also some expensive features added that made the game really evolve.
    With the new weapons in the development builds and logic gates, there are also a few more features added
    that make the game really feel like its a next generation.

But before judging this 'add stuff' behavior, be sure to know:
    There are times when you sit there with your mouth open, when the FPS went up from 75 to around 150 at no optical cost, just by a redesign and code optimization done by schema.
    Its a good balance between ups and downs, in overall my weak mobile CPU + Intel video card (NVIDIA GT 540M acceleration when using 'Full Power' profile), was always able to play the game.
    Only very few situations made me suffer from performance issues.

Those were:
    - Login '1 FPS' for about 7-9 minutes on joining the sector of my old faction base. (Overall ~3.000.000 blocks, but as I had the idea to build a hangar of around 2,1km cubish it covered effectively the whole sector as massive block of chunks to transfer AND calculate the full physic set for every single chunk transmitted.) - FIXED in mid December dev-builds -> already part of release

- 'View distance' as the only effective working 'object limiter' made me suffer from large objects coming in the sector. (Like a ship with 500.000blocks and 6 turrets 500.000blocks each partly overlapping made me go down to 'lag like hell' due to the thousands of collision detections running at the same time. - Already fixed with counting the view range only in a fixed maximum and a 'max drawn segments' also the current unreleased dev-builds utilize a new 'high stress'-mode that relieves the CPU in such situations. - so fixed :P

So, in fact the game may get some bottlenecks from time to time, but feel sure they are being worked on, and once there is an opportunity to fix them, it will be fixed. You cannot just make code use half of the CPU or GPU without loosing visual quality or any fail-protection that was implemented to fix something else or to avoid other bugs/exploits, it sometimes just need a few weeks to get the right idea to overhaul this.

For me I can only see the way the game went since about Apr/May 2013.
    In that time, landing a ship with more than 100.000blocks on a planet nearly instantly crashed your client and the server. - For now my weak pc can handle a ship with 370.000 blocks flying in and pushing three other 350.000block ships landed on a planet from the edges and still stay fully controllable.
    Ships going over 1.000.000Blocks required a relog every few sector changes to keep the client healthy and not run into stuff that 'just didn't load' due to memory usage or leaks.

A few weeks ago, I grabbed an old version 'one year old' and started playing around 30 minutes.
    Then I gave me some millions of blocks and started building the outlines of ships I built and explored the last few months.

You cannot even compare the performance (FPS) and memory usage when flying around 15-20 sectors, spamming 'increase the memory' in the corner, telling you to restart the game every 8-9 minutes, to anything you saw the last months.

So, be sure this will be addressed, but maybe not tomorrow, but one day you will be surprised by it. =)
    As we all tend to go over the limits of the engine is designed for in this current state, causing it to use very much CPU power to compensate this.

So be patient, and give him (schema) the time needed and all will be fine. He is really dedicated to tweak parts of code for days and then coming up with a performance boost you could not imagine before.

- Andy

Reaction score
    3.000.000 block ships should not be an issue with your CPU.

Sounds a bit like 'enforced vsync' by drivers. For me it sometimes works good and nails down the FPS to my refresh rate, and depending on profile my notebook uses it does not work and seems like 'always on'. So I guess it is by 'overriding' settings via drivers.

The overall needed CPU-usage, went down over the summer and reached it lowest point around January.
    Since then there were large and also some expensive features added that made the game really evolve.
    With the new weapons in the development builds and logic gates, there are also a few more features added
    that make the game really feel like its a next generation.

But before judging this 'add stuff' behavior, be sure to know:
    There are times when you sit there with your mouth open, when the FPS went up from 75 to around 150 at no optical cost, just by a redesign and code optimization done by schema.
    Its a good balance between ups and downs, in overall my weak mobile CPU + Intel video card (NVIDIA GT 540M acceleration when using 'Full Power' profile), was always able to play the game.
    Only very few situations made me suffer from performance issues.

Those were:
    - Login '1 FPS' for about 7-9 minutes on joining the sector of my old faction base. (Overall ~3.000.000 blocks, but as I had the idea to build a hangar of around 2,1km cubish it covered effectively the whole sector as massive block of chunks to transfer AND calculate the full physic set for every single chunk transmitted.) - FIXED in mid December dev-builds -> already part of release

- 'View distance' as the only effective working 'object limiter' made me suffer from large objects coming in the sector. (Like a ship with 500.000blocks and 6 turrets 500.000blocks each partly overlapping made me go down to 'lag like hell' due to the thousands of collision detections running at the same time. - Already fixed with counting the view range only in a fixed maximum and a 'max drawn segments' also the current unreleased dev-builds utilize a new 'high stress'-mode that relieves the CPU in such situations. - so fixed :p

So, in fact the game may get some bottlenecks from time to time, but feel sure they are being worked on, and once there is an opportunity to fix them, it will be fixed. You cannot just make code use half of the CPU or GPU without loosing visual quality or any fail-protection that was implemented to fix something else or to avoid other bugs/exploits, it sometimes just need a few weeks to get the right idea to overhaul this.

For me I can only see the way the game went since about Apr/May 2013.
    In that time, landing a ship with more than 100.000blocks on a planet nearly instantly crashed your client and the server. - For now my weak pc can handle a ship with 370.000 blocks flying in and pushing three other 350.000block ships landed on a planet from the edges and still stay fully controllable.
    Ships going over 1.000.000Blocks required a relog every few sector changes to keep the client healthy and not run into stuff that 'just didn't load' due to memory usage or leaks.

A few weeks ago, I grabbed an old version 'one year old' and started playing around 30 minutes.
    Then I gave me some millions of blocks and started building the outlines of ships I built and explored the last few months.

You cannot even compare the performance (FPS) and memory usage when flying around 15-20 sectors, spamming 'increase the memory' in the corner, telling you to restart the game every 8-9 minutes, to anything you saw the last months.

So, be sure this will be addressed, but maybe not tomorrow, but one day you will be surprised by it. =)
    As we all tend to go over the limits of the engine is designed for in this current state, causing it to use very much CPU power to compensate this.

So be patient, and give him (schema) the time needed and all will be fine. He is really dedicated to tweak parts of code for days and then coming up with a performance boost you could not imagine before.

- Andy
    that still doesn't explain why in the past I could use ships in the 100s of millions of blocks and now I cant even use a ship above 5m blocks...

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    that still doesn't explain why in the past I could use ships in the 100s of millions of blocks and now I cant even use a ship above 5m blocks...
    Oh it does.
    Set your textures to:

OldStyle 64px,
    Max drawn segments to 1500-2000.
    Disable: ALL shadows, bump mapping, procedural background, HiRes Background

You cannot revert to the old ugly lightning, but...

this is most likely the 'state of the game' in whose you were able to build nearly limitless ships, but got used to seeing only a sphere of around 150-250m around you.

Ever opened the structure menu on a fresh spawned ship in size of 'cold gravitizer' right after spawning it in?
    This was impossible for a fairly long time, as the menu had to run through every single block. Now its represented by 'groups' networking blocktypes to one anchor/entry point.
    This may need a bit more CPU in the background for SOME setups.
    Like a ship with 200 fully separated weapons may use more CPU. But a computer being able to manage 100subsystems, can do this to any size of ship then. There is no increase in CPU usage for the internals linear to the ship size. This is the foundation on real scalability.

I do not know where the bottleneck in your specific ship may be,
    this were only rough estimations and hints on things that did and will change.

So, as I said:
    Do not get upset, just conserve the blueprint-state and try spawning it in from time to time.
    As the initial-conversion for version->version upgrades is currently the highest hurdle for really large ships.
    But I bet it will be redone/optimized in the future. =)

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The point of this thread was not to complain about the overall performance, but my performance based on hardware in comparison to others

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The point of this thread was not to complain about the overall performance, but my performance based on hardware in comparison to others
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4GB
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
    RAM: 8GB + 16GB paging
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz

Settings: Ultra shadows, 2500 draw distance, Normal Mapping, 2048 procedural background, realistic texturs @ 128 res, vertsync off

FPS: ~150

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4GB
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
    RAM: 8GB + 16GB paging
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz

Settings: Ultra shadows, 2500 draw distance, Normal Mapping, 2048 procedural background, realistic texturs @ 128 res, vertsync off

FPS: ~150
    when loading what?

Reaction score
    Oh it does.
    Set your textures to:

OldStyle 64px,
    Max drawn segments to 1500-2000.
    Disable: ALL shadows, bump mapping, procedural background, HiRes Background

You cannot revert to the old ugly lightning, but...

this is most likely the 'state of the game' in whose you were able to build nearly limitless ships, but got used to seeing only a sphere of around 150-250m around you.

Ever opened the structure menu on a fresh spawned ship in size of 'cold gravitizer' right after spawning it in?
    This was impossible for a fairly long time, as the menu had to run through every single block. Now its represented by 'groups' networking blocktypes to one anchor/entry point.
    This may need a bit more CPU in the background for SOME setups.
    Like a ship with 200 fully separated weapons may use more CPU. But a computer being able to manage 100subsystems, can do this to any size of ship then. There is no increase in CPU usage for the internals linear to the ship size. This is the foundation on real scalability.

I do not know where the bottleneck in your specific ship may be,
    this were only rough estimations and hints on things that did and will change.

So, as I said:
    Do not get upset, just conserve the blueprint-state and try spawning it in from time to time.
    As the initial-conversion for version->version upgrades is currently the highest hurdle for really large ships.
    But I bet it will be redone/optimized in the future. =)

- Andy
    I did all that and I still get the same fps also when I open task manger cpu is at %99 and I have a nividia GeForce 760 graphics card and I can get 60+ fps in any game on max settings even crisis 3 also I have 12 gigs of ram dedicated to starmade and only half that was ever used at the most.

Reaction score
    So...my problem is basically performance. I don't run StarMade that bad, but what concerns me is how well I run StarMade in proportion to how good my pc is.

Graphics card: R9 280x
    CPU: fx 6100 3,3 ghz hexacore
    RAM: 8gb ddr3 ram

This stuff runs BF4 on ultra at 60fps.

For example, when I fully load a planet the fps goes from 110 to 40-50. What made me think about this more was when I saw people streaming on twitch whilst loading 3 planets and getting :eek: 60-70 fps.

I use the VBO-Bulk thing at 128 mb.

:(
    graphics card: nividia GeForce 760 4gb
    cpu: amd fx(tm)-9370 octa core 4.4ghz (8 core)
    ram: 16:00 gb ram (15.97 usable) (12 gb dedicated)
    monitor size: 1920x1080
    monitor resolution: 4k
    operating system: windows 8.1
    fps in three million block ship: 60+
    fps in 9 million block ship before build 14: 350+
    fps in 9 million block ship now in build 14: 0-10
    shadows: disabled
    draw distance: 20000
    texture pack: realistic 256 bit
    background res: 4k
    planet fps before build 14 in 9m block ship: 330+
    planet fps now in build 14 for a 9m block ship: 0 (game crash)
    planet fps on average in build 14: 250+
    planet fps on average before build 14: 1125+
    fps with shadows enabled: 30-45+
    fps with shadows disabled: 250+
    your not alone I have a beast pc and I lag to death in the latest build :(.