Opinion on EE 2.0

Do you want EE (Traditional EE as followed by the server post) To go Forward...

• EE is needed for the community.

Votes: 37 80.4%
    • Nope EE is no longer necessary due to EI.

Votes: 3 6.5%
    • I like EI better, scrap the whole thing.

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    nor could I imagine anyone paying monthly for the ability to teleport when you have logic drives.
    That's not going to be on new EE...

Unless 20 members can pledge $120 a year. Which I find highly unlikely with the alternative being free.
    He should be able to fund the co-location himself, donations making it easier on him. they're a small cost compared to the cost of the actual hardware

Reaction score
    If he could fund it himself it would have been up. His personal life takes precedence and to me it seems he doesn't have any extra income to maintain it himself.

I'm just saying as a player I'm looking for persistence. I'm tired of starting over because server owners can't afford the server or have to wipe every 3 months.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you have more money to run a server than someone else, then that makes you a better admin in the sense that you can actually deliver to your clients, and more money also means better hardware, therefor better performance serverside.

Arkasan clearly has a better paying job than Nuclear Doughnut, this allows him to deliver what people want sooner, if you had done a course on business operation and retail operation you would know what I am saying.

In business if you invest more money to give what potential customers want than a competitor, you (usually) output better products than said competitor, better products means happier customers and happier customers mean more customers.
    Money makes you a better server admin huh?

You're aware that for a good year or so, the entire budget of EE was based on donations because the majority of the admins didn't work, or had more important things to pay for right? Fairly sure Redshift was doing the same before they pulled the plug

Looking at their specs and the fact gravy has helped with the setup in some way, I'm willing to bet EI is rented hardware. No problem, just doesn't carry the upfront fee of ~$2000 miniumum because they don't own the hardware and the small setup fee can be spread out monthly

EE will own the hardware. EE does have that upfront cost, not to mention doughnut currently trying to get through University. Iirc, it's also going to have better hardware with the more ram and an SSD.

Costs and time scale do not determine if someone is a good admin. It just means they're being run differently and can't be compared directly.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1456832576,1456832470][/DOUBLEPOST]
    If he could fund it himself it would have been up.
    SET.UP.COSTS

God damn it. it costs alot of money to build the server, then it has to be shipped safely to the co-location datacenter. just because he can afford the monthly cost, doesn't mean he can afford the entire upfront setup.

Reaction score
    Lol, SS is running something similar to that and the lag never stops. Hardware junkies are funny.

Reaction score
    Money makes you a better server admin huh?

You're aware that for a good year or so, the entire budget of EE was based on donations because the majority of the admins didn't work, or had more important things to pay for right? Fairly sure Redshift was doing the same before they pulled the plug

Looking at their specs and the fact gravy has helped with the setup in some way, I'm willing to bet EI is rented hardware. No problem, just doesn't carry the upfront fee of ~$2000 miniumum because they don't own the hardware and the small setup fee can be spread out monthly

EE will own the hardware. EE does have that upfront cost, not to mention doughnut currently trying to get through University. Iirc, it's also going to have better hardware with the more ram and an SSD.

Costs and time scale do not determine if someone is a good admin. It just means they're being run differently and can't be compared directly.
    Who cares about if EE has better hardware if it never gets used?

People have been waiting 4-5 months for EE 2.0, They were only supposed to wait 2 according to Nuclear Doughnut (who then delayed the release date to get more hardware that he could not afford)

If a server gets to the point where it needs donations before it even goes live, then the admin cleary did not think his budgeting through, if you cannot budget for a server you should not be running one.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    EI is the same thing as EE 2.0
    It is not. EI has regularly scheduled resets, EE 2.0 will not, there will likely also be different configs.
    The former difference may sound minute to some, but it does have the effect of attracting and repelling certain player types.
    If you know all you will ever do will have no effect after 6 months[or whatever the reset schedule for EI is, I don't recall exactly], then is there a point in doing anything, that has no immedeate reward outside of the game?
    Now, it is true, that EI allows a single faction[from what I recall the strongest faction at the time of the reset, correct me if this is false] to retain their homebase, excluding docked ships.
    But what would you do, if you knew, that regardless of how good you are and how much effort and time you put into the game, your faction(s), will never be able to exceed the faction, that could currently keep their homebase, would a reset occur?
    This difference alone eliminates a large amount of competition between both servers, as they attract different playertypes.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    EI is the same thing as EE 2.0
    EE doesn't have wipes, doesn't have mass limits, doesn't have "winners." EI is like a particularly long game of Ares mod, while EE is an actual server.

I'm just saying as a player I'm looking for persistence.
    If you want persistence, then I have some bad news for you about EI...

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Lol, SS is running something similar to that and the lag never stops. Hardware junkies are funny.
    Bad admins.

Who cares about if EE has better hardware if it never gets used?

People have been waiting 4-5 months for EE 2.0, They were only supposed to wait 2 according to Nuclear Doughnut (who then delayed the release date to get more hardware that he could not afford)

If a server gets to the point where it needs donations before it even goes live, then the admin cleary did not think his budgeting through, if you cannot budget for a server you should not be running one.
    Better hardware is needed if the server should be able to run "smoothly". you try hosting something on a 10 year old server.

yeah, people have been waiting a long ass time but well have anyone helped yet? no? well then go back to waiting.
    and you as a normal human being should know that things happen, we dont know what Doughnut is going around doing when he's not on the forum, maybe he needed to use some of the money he saved for the server because something happened.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    From what I've heard the timeline has changed on the resets to a year.
    I looked through the EI thread and I can only find posts saying it's a 6 month thing not 12 months.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Jeez imagination we get it you're a EI fanboy who can't stop whining. You've given your opinion so go!

Reaction score
    Well go help him with the funds then if you're tired of waiting.
    1. He advertised the server knowing that he couldn't fund the startup costs.
    2. Instead of asking for donations back in Oct/Nov he waiting until just now saying he couldn't afford the costs and needs donations. When you look at it that way it starts to sound fishy. If he can't manage his own cash flow and expenses how can I be sure that any donations would be properly.
    3. I don't know him in real life, which hinders the donation aspect even more. Maybe if he asked up front just in case any IRL expenses came up, I would have donated.
    4. I've pretty much scratched this server off the list as, well it's been 4 months and as far as I know he only raised a fraction of what's needed. I'm not about to donate now when I have no idea if the server will ever go live or if the money will even go to the server.
    5. And lastly, if I wanted to fund his startup expenses I would have bought the stuff myself.

servers are expensive, especially with how doughnut wants to do it. If any unforseen cost came up in his life, the servers gonna be the first thing to get delayed.
    I get that server are expensive and that real life expenses come first. But, if he knew he couldn't fund it from the get-go he should have asked for donations then. Not wait 4-5 months then say woops, can't fund the server send me donations now. If he can't manage his money or didn't have the extra income to spend he should have never taken this on.

Do I sound like an ass? Probably, but at this point I'm not going to give my money to someone I don't know and at this point I don't think can be trusted.

Reactions: ShadowPilot
    Reaction score
    If your not gonna play on EI, cool! I'll have all the fun to myself :3
    At least its going to come out, unlike EE which seems like it will come out when StarMade has gone through beta.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    1. He advertised the server knowing that he couldn't fund the startup costs.
    2. Instead of asking for donations back in Oct/Nov he waiting until just now saying he couldn't afford the costs and needs donations. When you look at it that way it starts to sound fishy. If he can't manage his own cash flow and expenses how can I be sure that any donations would be properly.
    3. I don't know him in real life, which hinders the donation aspect even more. Maybe if he asked up front just in case any IRL expenses came up, I would have donated.
    4. I've pretty much scratched this server off the list as, well it's been 4 months and as far as I know he only raised a fraction of what's needed. I'm not about to donate now when I have no idea if the server will ever go live or if the money will even go to the server.
    5. And lastly, if I wanted to fund his startup expenses I would have bought the stuff myself.

I get that server are expensive and that real life expenses come first. But, if he knew he couldn't fund it from the get-go he should have asked for donations then. Not wait 4-5 months then say woops, can't fund the server send me donations now. If he can't manage his money or didn't have the extra income to spend he should have never taken this on.

Do I sound like an ass? Probably, but at this point I'm not going to give my money to someone I don't know and at this point I don't think can be trusted.
    read the freaking main post ElwynEternity 2.0
    "I'm here to start asking for your help to resurrect the all time best PVP server in SM"
    [DOUBLEPOST=1456845028,1456844385][/DOUBLEPOST]
    "I'm here to start asking for your help to resurrect the all time best PVP server in SM"
    well if you want to start over every 6 months and have mass limits then go to EI.
    Both servers are still part of the same "group"

Reaction score
    So we all know that the old EE is gone...

Lets lay out some basics. After EE was shut down due to a lack of $ Gravypod gave me the rights to EE and everything associated with it. I am restarting the once great community and I'm here to start asking for your help to resurrect the all time best PVP server in SM.

Goal: To Create the Ultimate No-Limits Faction PVP server.

Past Problems:

In the past EE was constantly plauged with the question of how to balance donation perks with regular players. What is planning to happen is that the price of the infamous "Donor Teleport" will drop to 5$. BUT it will be a monthly subscription. This is to help offset the costs of running the server as well as pay for future upgrades to the box.

Another past problem of EE was that the admin team always rented the server. Which dramatically increased costs but also allowed EE to grow at a much more volitile pace without dealing with performance setbacks. This however caused the price of maintaining the server to skyrocket as a decent server configured for SM is quite expensive. We have resolved this issue by Purchasing (Me) a decent server that will be able to handle the community that EE is used too. For specs please PM me.

Another issue in EE as a whole was its secluded group. With the custom ship configs it made portability of faction's fleets into EE and out of EE difficult and painful. We are going back to a more vanilla ship construction config but will be tweaking certain things (Damage) to ensure compatibility of ALL ships made on other servers to go to this one.

Changes:
    Now for the fun part of the changes to EE.

1st and Most importantly. A new Faction Config system will be tested and debut on EE. In the past factions are limited by the amount of territory they can hold by the number of members they have. Now we are encouraging people to be more active by making Members COST Faction points and Territory GAINING points. So the more territory your faction has. The more members you can have in your faction. This helps promote stability in the factions and encourages new players to join established factions and learn the game. You will still be able to play solo and be perfectly fine.

This also makes the possibility of real territorial disputes a very possible thing. And with that the possibility of true wars against factions. You will be spending resources not only on your ships. But to defend your control points.

We will be having a slower than what EE is used to Jump Drive but will be making Warp Gates incredibly cheap to operate and expanding their range.

Tentative Rules:
    1. Don't be a dick
    2. Admins are in charge
    3. The only size limit is what breaks the server
    4. No Planet Mining unless the planet is blown up.
    5. When in doubt refer to Rules 1-4.

What we have done:
    We have a box that has 56 GB of ram and about 350-375Gb of usable HD space and Dual Hex Core Xeons.
    Faction Configs have been rewritten.
    System Configs have been written.
    Box has been stress tested to ensure stability.

What still needs done:
    Spawn needs constructed.
    Server Box needs sent to a co-location facility.
    Donor perks system needs changed over
    New Faction Configs need tested

Future plans: (Bold being Urgent)
    Upgrade to Large Capacity SSDs. (620$ USD)

Reintroduce Voting perks.
    Website needs rewritten.
    Actually, if you read the main post nowhere does he ask for donations. He actually made it sounds as if he had everything set for the server and enough cash to pay for the initial costs.

It isn't until
    "
    I'm currently taking care of the business end of the server. I am currently configuring a business Paypal account so I can start getting donations in for our startup costs.
    "
    which he posted on Feb 3rd, that he even started asking for donations.

Again, if he didn't have the required cash up front he should have asked for donations from the get-go. Waiting for 4 months to be like "sorry guys, can't afford it. Please give me money." makes it seem he was unable to manage his money or never had the extra cash set aside for the server. How can I be sure that he will even use the donation for the server and not cut and run with it?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Enough People really this thread is about if EE should be a project that continues forward not about differences on EE and EI.
    Isn't discussion on whether EE and EI are different enough to justify EE's existence pretty relevant to this thread, though?

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I would like EE, more servers with (hopefully) good administration are needed. Right now the only real decent server I can think of is LCB. Haven't had an issue with their moderation staff, and doubt I ever will. Everyone knows SS has badmins. EI has people at the head willing to give IP's away :^). Don't know about GenX anymore, but last I remember the server owner defended people making personal attacks (verbally, not in-game) against one of my friends.

Not here to smear, but most of the current SM servers with decent populations are absolute garbage. Bring on EE 2.0.

Reactions: Lecic