OOB Megapolis Competition

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score

GOOD DAY LADIES AND GENTLEMEN AND OTHERS!

It is my honour to announce the upcoming opening of the OOB Megapolis Competition!

Overview
    Welcome to the Megapolis Competition hosted by The Order of Bogatyrs! The challenge is one that not all will manage, but those that do will flourish in the extensive rewards. Therefore, without further ado, this is the task:

For the next 3 weeks (Competition Application Deadline 4th January 2016) we will be holding a building competition for our members and allies.

The goal is to create a public outpost-hub where any player on a server can meet up to converge, chat, haggle, discuss diplomacy, shop and have fun without the pressures of the dangerous outside void. We believe that such an outpost would have a fantastic effect towards uniting players of all nationalities and factions on a server by bringing them together in a protected sector*.

*We shall work out the logistics with server admin on arranging the protection of the sector where public outpost will be located, so that there will not be a burden of arranging turrets, systems or defences for the base, making it 90% aesthetic-based, 10% utilization-based. *

Lore

Report 1)

As the Bogatyr Vengeance frigate entered the system the crew were blinded by the beauty of the megapolis. Stretching out further than the scanners could read with buildings higher and bigger than even the palace of the Grand Master, the Megapolis glimmered with the lights of a million houses. Lush parks stretched out, eating up the land….seas cover much of the land, but here and there the crew sees islands. Islands that are not bare, but themselves shine with the beauty of thousands of years of devoted labour. Intertwined trees formed villages in the forests while on the bigger landmasses, towering above all else, stretching into the atmosphere were skyscrapers like never seen before. The peak of rail-based technology, as the vengeance frigate descended down towards the planet, two colossal doors opened up revealing hangers of ships of all shapes and sizes….

Report 2)

The Fleet warped in, the soldiers delighted to be finally home. Ahead of them, like a tower, a beacon, loomed the Megapolis. Within seconds they were greeted by the local merchants, all racing each other to get their hands on the new customers. Even from a distance of many kilometres the thriving city could be seen. Lights were scattered across the station and, even though it was the dark of night, and in one of the most unpleasant months of the year, the docking bays thrummed with workers. Cranes, pipes and industrial vehicles could be seen in and about each hanger with an almost endless amount of merchandise stalls set up as far as the eye could see near to the docking areas. While behind that loomed the central city and words could not describe the beauty of that tower…...
    Note: This set of lore ideas can be used however it is in no way a requirement. We don't want replications, these are just here for inspiration .

Megapolis Requirements

Whilst the megapolis can be mostly built with your own aesthetic interpretation there are some base functions and preferences we would like:-

1. The megapolis must not look hostile, this will be a community hub and must give the feeling that players are not in danger (this will also show the factions overall friendliness)

2. There must be a shop building or department (stock will be handled later on). As an idea we would recommend building a commercial ‘sector’ with multiple smaller shops and a large ‘central shop’.

3. Billboards must be placed near all major courtyards and on some of the buildings so that advertisement and/or flags can (at a later stage) be integrated there.

4. There must be a storage facility, this will be a hub for commerce thus it must be able to hold the stock for such a facility.

5. There must be an area dedicated to living quarters

6. There MUST be a disco floor and (as a minimum) a restaurant. (we recommend checking out this link as TransOrbital AeroSpace Telluric Technologies engineers have designed a very efficient disco floor). As an idea we would recommend building an entertainment ‘sector’ with multiple entertainment establishments… let your imagination run wild.

7. There must be an enclosed area dedicated to manufacturing. As an idea we recommend an industrial/ manufacturing ‘sector’ with furnaces and fans. (we recommend checking out the work of SkyLordLuke as he is renowned for the best industrial-style designs)

8. There must be transportation computers and modules set up in ALL major buildings and facilities.
    \Please remember that most area’s must be accessible to the public/

\\Please note we plan to make the Megapolis in a protected sector, Aesthetics come before functionality.//

How to apply

1. Reply to this thread with the header “COMPETITION ENTRY name”. (with the name being replaced with your name)

2. Underneath that title include the detail of your application.

3. Attach your outpost entry via .sment/.rar/. zip form (Or publish via community content and provide a link to the entry)

4. Don’t forget to include at least 1 picture of the station

Judging

Entries will be judged based upon cosmetics, size, and building diversity.

The winner will be announced by January 4th along with 2nd and 3rd place.

• Bogdan
    • Kudosil
    • TBD
    • TBD
    Rewards

Q/A
    1. “Do I have to make the Megapolis defendable?”
      1. No, it is planned to make the Megapolis in a protected sector, defences are unneeded and a waste of capital
    2. “Can my friend help?”
      1. Of course they can! You can work by yourself, with a friend or with whole group of friends/colleagues! The project is aimed to encourage player interaction and worry not, for all members of a ‘team’ will be rewarded.
    3. “Can I have the materials required to make the station on SystemHack?”
      1. We are unable to give you the materials for making the station but if you are the successful applicant the blocks worth will be refunded along with the prize. We also recommend building the station in singleplayer or on a build server
    4. “Do I have to make the whole city in OOB faction colours?”
      1. Of course not, the idea is to build a megapolis, not an OOB politics HQ. The ideal would be something that doesn’t look too vivid (such as pure yellow build), but really...let your imagination run wild. We’re sure whatever you come up with will be great!
    5. “Can I submit more than one design?”
      1. Yes you can. However we doubt it would be easy taking into account the rather short time you have to design the outpost.
    6. “Can I join the order?”
      1. Of course you can, after you complete the interview with our Grand Master Bogdan. In fact, if you find building bases is fun, you will be likely to find a place with us!
    7. “Can I use my previous builds or templates on my design?”
      1. Yes. Definitely. Moreover it is recommended that you take some sort of ‘base’ for your idea/build due to the fact that making the outpost from scratch would be hard.
    8. “Can I use parts of other peoples builds?”
      1. We cannot stop you and we do offer references (see below) should you like some inspiration, however please do mention if you used ‘foreign builds’ in your design (on your competition entry).
    9. “I spent hours on developing a specific program to generate me the most optimal outpost design based on complex indexing of a million different images and a thousand different pre-made designs and ideas, which I can run on my supercomputer. Can I use the output?”
      1. O_O. Yes!

//Please note that these are purely for inspiration, we do NOT want copies of these//

Legal Terms

By participating in the event, participant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and regulations. Moreover participant agrees that the decisions of The Order of Bogatyrs are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this event.

No cash substitute or transfer of prizes is available. Prizes are awarded without warranty of any kind from The Order of Bogatyrs, express or implied, without limitation, except where this would be contrary to federal, state, provincial, or local laws or regulations. All federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply. Decisions of the OOB Judges and the voting system are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this event. Any potential winner who cannot be contacted by email within 15 days of attempted first notification will forfeit his/her prize. Failure to comply within this time period may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. The Order of Bogatyrs at its sole discretion shall reserves the right to disqualify any Participant from the event if it reasonably believes that the Participant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the event by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or abuses, threatens or harassment of any other Participants, Order of Bogatyrs employees and affiliates.

Limitations of Liability:

By entering, entrants agree to release The Order of Bogatyrs, and their officers, directors, employees and agencies from any claim, loss, liability, damage or injury of any kind arising from their participation in the event or their receipt or use of the event prize.

Winner is responsible for all/any federal, state and local taxes associated with acceptance and use of prize.

Any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this event, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by arbitration.

Disclaimer:

Grand Master Bogdan will not be held responsible if for any reason the event is not capable of running or operating as planned due to infection by computer virus, fraud, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, technical failures, or force majeure on the competitor’s computer that, in the sole opinion of the OOB, corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this building process. The OOB reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with or abuses any aspect of the competition, as solely determined by OOB, and to cancel, terminate, modify, or postpone the competition’s end date until a later date. The OOB assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, or other failure of or related to the software platform on which the megapolis is built, including any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this event.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The new (yet to be released) starter station ;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Hehehe, I already got a leg up on this one.

Working list: Multiple public taxed refineries, secure public workstations, multi faction corporate offices, mini-games, several combat arenas, many RP zones, buyable starter ships and cargo crates, docking harbor next to transporter area, and best of all? buyable "apartments" for individual players to not need a base on day one.

I was hoping to have it built up on the new EE for promoting trade and hosting events, but I think I might just enter it here.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    The new (yet to be released) starter station ;)
    Feel free to enter it (once it's released). Competition will go on for 3 weeks so we'd be happy to see it as an entry when it does come out.
    • Mention who was/is involved in building the entry
    • Attach at least one image of it
    • Attach the base itself as a file
    Hehehe, I already got a leg up on this one.

Working list: Multiple public taxed refineries, secure public workstations, multi faction corporate offices, mini-games, several combat arenas, many RP zones, buyable starter ships and cargo crates, docking harbor next to transporter area, and best of all? buyable "apartments" for individual players to not need a base on day one.

I was hoping to have it built up on the new EE for promoting trade and hosting events, but I think I might just enter it here.
    We'd love to take your entry and your description sounds fantastic! If you do enter it, while I can't speak for the other juries, I can say that I at least would investigate it with genuine interest.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    Not absolutely sure why the picture? If you've built that station feel free to submit an entry with it. If you wish to build it, sure go ahead, the picture looks very nice and I'm sure taking into account your experience with the game you would do a great job.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Not absolutely sure why the picture? If you've built that station feel free to submit an entry with it. If you wish to build it, sure go ahead, the picture looks very nice and I'm sure taking into account your experience with the game you would do a great job.
    Sorry, I thought it would be simultaneously humorous and inspirational, since the challenge seems to describe a new Babylon station, based on the existing description of the Babylon project per J. Michael Straczynski.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    Sorry, I thought it would be simultaneously humorous and inspirational, since the challenge seems to describe a new Babylon station, based on the existing description of the Babylon project per J. Michael Straczynski.
    Now that you mention it I can see some similarities, however the challenge does specify that one doesn't need to make a build according to the recommended lore/pics. If J. Michael Straczynski decided to play starmade all of a sudden and got the 2 shipyard thread-makers on Babylon projects working together to make such a base....:D. Anyhow, let's not fill this thread up with chat please otherwise will go offtopic.

Looking forward to hearing about projects of people which they will/might be applying for the competition! Best of luck to everyone!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Great contest idea! Wish I had the time to participate these days. Best of luck to all the entrants!

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I definitely want to get in on this one, but I just don't have the time to devote to the size of the concept I'm imagining. Perhaps I'll draw it up, and submit that as an idea to someone that has the time.

The problem is that I can't put Factories or anything fun on railed parts...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I definitely want to get in on this one, but I just don't have the time to devote to the size of the concept I'm imagining. Perhaps I'll draw it up, and submit that as an idea to someone that has the time.

Hey if you have any concepts floating around I would love to hear them. Plus I may just recruit a handful of people to help speed up the polishing and detail work.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Wow, this seems cool.
    Ill get modifying one of my builds then, I knew it was missing a disco floor XD

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score

That would be a good idea. Note: even if someone else builds it, if you took a major part in it (drawing up the plan), we'll be sure to find a reward for you too!

Hey if you have any concepts floating around I would love to hear them. Plus I may just recruit a handful of people to help speed up the polishing and detail work.
    Good thinking Aynslei. The project was made to encourage interaction of players and builders across the starmade universes. Co-worked projects result in all participants of the 'team' getting a reward.
    Wow, this seems cool.
    Ill get modifying one of my builds then, I knew it was missing a disco floor XD
    Wow that looks very nice. Looking forward to seeing that as an application!

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Why do I always feel like I am a DWARF when going through stations?

I hope slabs will fix this :D

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    Just a reminder...​

All of those working on a station, do not forget to apply it before 4th January! Good luck to all the builders!

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Thanks! For some, the holidays will provide time to work on their station. For others, they will be cruelly ripped away by real life. But we work on, one way or another.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    Do I have any competitors on this?
    Well there's 2 builds from OOB members (as a definite), there's you, there's the people who showed interest on this page, there's Vsevolod (who somehow found my steam account....) and probably some other people who were just simply interested.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    COMPETITION ENTRY jayman38

The Babel 6 Space station, built in version 0.19522. A central spinning docking drum, where small ships can dock inside. There are docking points on the spires for larger ships. Each of the two cargo sector airlocks have enough room for a very small cargo shuttle. Quick transport between all sectors. The lower area contains a dance club and a cafe. The top area contains two hotels. The cargo areas contain cargo storage and the most rudimentary factory system available. The starboard cargo area contains the shop module. There are no dedicated billboards, per se, but some billboards can quickly be thrown together as needed.

It was difficult to throw even a sub-par station together in the time allotted with a flu, but it wouldn't be a challenge if it weren't challenging.

The sment file is attached. The Community Content entry should become available for download before too long.

Raw Statistics:
    babel6_19522_1_stats_1.png

Basic Image:
    babel6_spacestation_256x192.png

Community Content Link (Pending Approval At the Time of This Posting):
    https://starmadedock.net/content/babel-6-space-station.4012/

Attachments