Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    To flip a ship\'s front/back end? I have a turret that I want to dock on the underside of the ship but it keep facing backwards. It\'s on a fixed dock so it\'s unusable that way.

Reaction score
    Well the import seem to be screwing with some details and giving me some weird colours.

This is the actual nevada

and this is the smedit import.

I might try it with a different model and see if that works, but for this, it doesn\'t seem to be mapping it right.

Edit: And do you think it is possible to delete half the ship along an axis and then symmatrize it? Because it\'s a pain using the select tool on large ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That actually only works for Ships. If you open a Station Entity that option don\'t even show.

But I\'ve managed to do what I needed, thanks from Tomino Sama from Mushroom Fleet for the heads up.

My process was:

- Open the Station file, and copy to clipboard as a SHIP entity
    - Open a Isanth file, deleted all blocks, and pasted the Station Copy (it was a ship entity)
    - Rotated the new object and copy it to clipboard again, but now as a station
    - Reopened the Station file, deleted all blocks, and pasted the Station Copy
    - Saved the station with the same name

This was just a workaround the problem... An easy way to rotate a Station would help a lot.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah, we pretty much need that cut in half (or even 4 ways) and mirror what\'s on the left to the right, since any imported thing fails symmetry and shape quite bad. Selecting half a big ship is hard, but well, since this is an actually very common move, it could be in just a simple button, autocut and mirror 2 (left/right) or 4 or 8 ways :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Now if you had said \'can you enable the rotate plugin for ships\' I would have understood what you are asking. Each plugin is enabled for specific types of models. I just looked and rotate is only enabled for type ship. It\'s trivial to change. So I just added station. Do you think it makes sense for Shop, Floating Rock and/or Planet?

You can check what is enabled for what by doing Edit -> Plugin Report. Any of those can be changed trivially.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, one thing I\'m working on right now is macros. Essentially you can write a little Javascript program that calls any and all plugins with whatever arguments you want. That\'s the core of the system. Once that\'s working, it branches out into several other features:

• Record. You can set record mode, do several actions, and when you stop record mode, it will save off a Javascript macro that does what you just did.
    • Javascript plugins. You can put Javascript macro files into a special subdirectory in jo_plugins, with some comments to give them names and placement, and they will appear in the menus and other extension points just like a Java based plugin.
    • Headless operation. Could invoke SMEdit without the GUI, and direct it to run a Javascript macro. This is handy if you have batch operations you want to do, integration with the server, or if you have a huge ship and are concerned about the time/memory taken up by the graphics layer.

In your case a macro could be written to combine the opertions you are doing. You might first record it to get the basics. Then go and edit it, change the selection part of do it based on the size of the ship. Then save it off so that it appears as a normal menu option.

I just posted an update to enable Rotate for Stations. You\'ll see an Edit -> Run Macro menu now. But it\'s not all there yet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, you\'re dealing with blocks here, and only 7 colors. So I\'m not sure it can get much better than that. Bigger models will increase the resolution. I tried the Nevada at 1000m, but ran out of memory. :-( But given the iPhone test rendered moderately accurately, I think the code is working as expected. It\'s just not always going to look wonderful with such a limited palette.

Reaction score
    That is what I was getting this weekend. I sent JJ All of my stuff on the BSG so he can mess with it. I thought it was just the size of it.

JJ That is the same thing I am seeing. Same colors and such. And it seems off alittle. IDK.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I just changed all the image maps to white, imported BSG, and it was all white. The original maps were kind of uniformly greyish. So it still looks to me like it is doing the right thing.

You don\'t normally design a 32x32 icon by reducing a snapshot. It\'s just meant to be a start.

Reaction score
    Hey, Great tool!
    Suggestion: could you integrate a way to add / remove ship cores and change the class of the object? I would like to be able to convert a blank station (generated type) into a ship object to make it spawnable.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think you can just take any object and Save As Blueprint to convert it to a ship. If that doesn\'t put a core in, let me know. (But in the meantime just do two rotates x 180. That will eave it the same but also put a core in.)

Converting from a ship to an object is harder. I need to crack how it stores stuff in the index to make that work flawlessly. But you can edit existing objects. If you totally want to replace an existing object, I recommend using cut and paste.

Reaction score
    Is there an easy way to reflect an object so there is only a single block gap between it and its copy instead of the two block wide gap it keeps giving me?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You\'re going to have to be more detailed than that. Reflection works fine for me in all ways that I\'ve tried. When reporting a problem, please follow the guidelines in the doc about how much information to include. I can\'t fix it if I can\'t replicate it. I can\'t replicate it unless you give specific instructions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    SMEdit now has the ability to record and playback macros! This is a very powerful feature and lowers the bar for people contributing features to SMEdit. If you want to do more than simple playback, the macros are actualy implemented in Javascript, so you can make them as complicated as you want.

Full doc here.

Reaction score
    finally got around to trying out the good BSG file import...

got this:

Error executing plugin

Plugin: Import/Schematic
    Arguments:

• file := X:\\Users\\Administrator\\Desktop\\BSG2.schematic

Code:
    java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
    	at jo.sm.logic.RenderPolyLogic.doZPSquare(RenderPolyLogic.java:381)
    	at jo.sm.logic.RenderPolyLogic.doCube(RenderPolyLogic.java:271)
    	at jo.sm.logic.RenderPolyLogic.getBasicPolys(RenderPolyLogic.java:75)
    	at jo.sm.logic.RenderPolyLogic.fillPolys(RenderPolyLogic.java:33)
    	at jo.sm.ui.AWTRenderPanel.updateTiles(AWTRenderPanel.java:255)
    	at jo.sm.ui.AWTRenderPanel.doNewGrid(AWTRenderPanel.java:239)
    	at jo.sm.ui.AWTRenderPanel.access$5(AWTRenderPanel.java:225)
    	at jo.sm.ui.AWTRenderPanel$2.propertyChange(AWTRenderPanel.java:100)
    	at jo.sm.data.PCSBean.firePropertyChange(PCSBean.java:140)
    	at jo.sm.data.StarMade.setModel(StarMade.java:168)
    	at jo.sm.logic.StarMadeLogic.setModel(StarMadeLogic.java:302)
    	at jo.sm.ui.act.plugin.BlocksPluginAction$1.run(BlocksPluginAction.java:67)
    	at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:14)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It ran out of memory. I think hkulabane used 4G or something for the largest BSG model. How much memory have you allocated?