Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Are you running this from the StarMade directory?

After running, is there a jo_sm.jar file? A jo_plugins directory? Anything in the jo_plugins directory?

You might try deleting jo_sm.date and trying again.

You might trying manually downloading jo_sm.jar, making jo_plugins, and placing JoFileMods.jar there.

Reaction score
    Yes they are all there but when I double click the SMEdit.jar all i get is a javaw process on the task manager but nothing happening. When I run the SMEdit from prompt I get the result I typed up earlier but just with a different delta. And yes they downloaded jos are all in the StarMade directory.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The only other thing I can suggest is running jo_sm.jar directly. Try:

java -jar jo_sm.jar

and see where that gets you.

Reaction score
    I\'ve now changed the default program for jars to java rather than javaw and the console comes up with Error: Could not find or load main class C:\\Users\\(Me)\\Desktop\\StarMade\\SMEdit.jar and I get the same result when I prompt.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sounds like you are trying to run the jar file as a class. You need to do

java -jar SMEdit.jar

I think you are missing the -jar

Reaction score
    Hi, theres probably already been a post about this, but is there a way to open a planet in the editor like you can with ships? I tried opening one from the \"Planets\" dropdown, but all it showed was one chunk of the planet. I know there is a way you can change what a planet is made of (I think), but i want to change the shape of a planet.

Reaction score
    Go into starmade and fly over the planet until the entire thing is loaded.

Reaction score
    It\'s in the editor window that it\'s not showing the whole thing

Reaction score
    I tried opening another planet file, and it showed the entire planet this time. I think its because i hadn\'t actually been to the planets surface and it hadn\'t fully generated. Im so dumb xD

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I had planned to built a ship much larger than it turned out to be, so the core is actually right inside the fighter bay. To fix this, I thought, awesome, SMEdit can help me out!

But either it\'s a bug or I\'m just too silly.

After having selected the core room and moved it further back, I exported the blueprint again and uploaded it to Starmade. When I got to the ship, that diamond-shaped indicator with the name was at the original position of the core and the whole thing was immobile, not even with 1200 thrusters I attached for the heck of it.

I wasn\'t as careless as to overwrite the original ship, luckily. Wouldn\'t have been a loss anyway, though, it\'s just a skeleton so far.

Hope you can find a fix or an explanation for an inexperienced user.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There is a troubleshooting section in the main SMEdit documentation. It\'s the first page that comes up when you google SMEdit. I don\'t know how to make it more easy to find than that.

I think it may be that you are rotating a selection, not the entire ship. If the core is in the selection, that could mess things up. I\'ll check tonight. In the meantime, just try Edit Select -> None before rotating.

Reaction score
    I can\'t wait for the object import to do textures :D and the object import is working perfectly except it leaves checker holes all of my ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I thought I did a patch that fixed the checker holes. Grump.

If you have a specific obj file you are eager to use, please send it to me ([email protected]) with the mtl file and textures. I might as well use that one for testing.

Reaction score
    So i fixed all the problems i was having opening a planet, but now whenever i save the planet and load it in starmade, it seems like any chunk that had no block in it has regenerated. Any help?

Reaction score
    Hi,

I test the wrl and obj, very nice, did the full 1426M BSG75, very nice job.

Soon I will port the rest of the fleet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ah, it\'s so freeing now that I (appear to) have the Schema file bug behind me. I can concentrate on making SMEdit better rather than second guessing someone else\'s obfusticated code.

Thanks to GyngaNynja for his sample OBJ file. Texture based colors in material maps now import with OBJ files. As with anything OBJ, I\'m sure there are OBJ files out there that this doesn\'t support. The standard is wide and varied. But it works for the base line file and a representative sample of other OBJ files, so I\'m good to release it. (See incredibly stupid example below of an iPhone based ship!) If you find ones it doesn\'t work with that do render correctly in some popular display program, send them to me.

The base color mapping just maps to hulls. If you are doing ships, that\'s probably what you want. If you are doing a truly decorative piece, you may want to use other blocks to get a better representation of color. (The iPhone below uses lava for orange.) You can add a color_map.xml to your jo_plugins directory with whatever mapping you like. That will be documented on the wiki in the next few days. The more enterprising of you can probably work it out. It\'s pretty much done the same as the other supplementary xml files.

I think the rotating ship problem is also fixed. It appeared to be related to when you select a region and rotate that region. It works fine when you rotate the whole ship. The region rotate displaced the core which confused StarMade. I\'ve instrumented that, any many other similar features, to try to keep the core in the right place. It may mean you see it fly out of the ship. Then you have to move it back. If you don\'t like that, just do a rotate/whatever without selecting the whole ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That\'s what I\'m talking about here. Go on, try it out with Nevada. There\'s not a lot of detail because it\'s blocks and only 7 colors. But it does work.

Reaction score
    It would be me to bring in the complicated stuff. =]

Ok, the BSG has 3 texture files. and when I import it with the textures, they seem to be off.. The colors are odd too, but I am sure that can be edited in the color map some how. =]

I will email you the full project with the textures on the current version I am working on.

Also the vrml import crashes, I will send that error later as IDK if it is important ATM.