Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    HI all,

When I do the work with those models, I give SMEdit 13 to 14 GB of ram. Not that it always uses it all, but just so I dont have to worry.

I think that schematic pulls in about 4 GB to 8GB...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    MichaelSeph requested scaling by non-integral values. I just posted that, but remember if you do non-integral values it may impact the actual functionality of the ship. So be aware.

On the other hand, I just made a chibi Damocles, which was terribly cute.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Added two new hull shapes. I\'ve re-used some of the logic for OBJ file import for hull generation. Now any mesh I can programmatically generate I can create as a hull. Any other reasonably simple mathematical shapes we should have for hulls?

Reaction score
    Doughnut might be a good one. Although you have to have orintation.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A torus is a doughnut. Orientation isn\'t important. You can just use the existing rotate/reflection operations to change it to what you want.

Relative radius of the ring and thickness do matter. I just picked a general one. If there is enough demand, I\'ll split it out into its own thing.

Reaction score
    With a texture pack larger than default, it applies textures as if they were normal size but continues painting them to their full extents. The result is ships are an absolute mess because of all the textures intersecting and reaching out beyond where they\'re supposed to be.

Additionally, when switching to plain view it seems to show the wrong color for hulls (green for white, grey for black, etc.).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I thought I tested up to 256x256. Please send me ([email protected]) the texture packs you are using, and the BlockConfig.xml and BlockTypes.properties if those are changed. I\'ll see what\'s up and fix it.

(Incidentally, is that Linux? I\'ve tested on Windows and Mac, and it should run on Linux. But I\'d like confirmation!)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That\'s great. My Linux machine is squirreled away in the basement, at the end of the treadmill. (When my kids want to watch more cartoons than I\'d like, they have to do so on the treadmill. Heh heh.) It\'s hard for me to test on.

I\'ll work on replicating the graphical bug tonight on my PC. My initial tests were on my Mac, but, as you say, it doesn\'t seem likely to be an OS bug. Something probably regressed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Lapsing back into self promotion for a moment...

I\'ve released a new book on Smashwords (free) and Amazon ($0.99). It\'s set in the same universe as The Raider\'s Lament, but book you\'ve helped me promote with SMEdit. The ePublishing industry seems to favor long series of books, I am working on more in The Raider\'s Lament series. (Like this page to keep up to date on that.) But I\'m also releasing some of my other non-series works for free to drum up interest and gain more exposure. (People are more likely to buy you if they like your free stuff.)

If you did download The Raider\'s Lament and liked it (or at least the free first 20% of it), try out The Astoundingly True Tale of José Fabuloso. It\'s fun, silly, cynical, suspensful and many other good adjectives. If you do like it, please add a review!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Been having a problem with where my ship core was located. Used your progam and moved it just as advertised. Only problem was when I bought the modified ship none of the turrets would dock. Seemed that when spawned some of the areas when not rendered and the enhancers were missing. Not a big problem since I wanted to change them out anyway, just sooner that intended. Love your program great job!!! Thanks for the time you spend on it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    So is there a way for the exported Jpegs to not have a blue tint? The export tool is great for making models for Maya, but I can\'t really texture them properly with the Jpegs being so blue. Here is what the Jpeg looks like: http://imgur.com/oZe5gzi

Reaction score
    I have that exact problem. lucky i have a older version of the texture, so i just use it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Last I knew OBJ export didn\'t work and no one was using it. I was messing with the JPEG output because the one viewer I had to test with didn\'t like the format of the JPEGs I was writing. I never got it to work.

I\'ve reverted the code back. But it is still coming up rather pinkish for me. I have no idea why. I\'ve put in parallel code to write out a PNG file tool. That one looks perfect. So if the JPEG is still colored after this update, try either using the PNG or converting the PNG to a JEPG.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Well, the color of the .png seems to be fine; however, when I apply it to the ship in Maya, the model becomes transparent: http://imgur.com/ILEMRS8

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I could strip all transparency from the image, but then the transparent blocks would no longer be transparent. I\'ve checked the bits in the bitmap and the alpha channel seems to be set correctly. Try loading it up in any image editor and checking yourself.

You might want to check your settings in Maya. Maybe something is turned on there that is applying to the whole texture. Blender has a bewildering array of settings. I can only imagine how many a professional tool like Maya has.

Reaction score
    I don\'t know about maya, but in blender you have to swap the normal on the model around, otherwise it shows transparent faces.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Could you possibly make an option to have a PNG with transparency turned off? I can\'t seem to find a fix to the transparency issue. If not, is there any way to fix the coloration of the Jpeg? Other than the wierd shade of it, there are no issues with the Jpeg.

*Post-Script*: I can work around the problem by using a converter to change the PNG to a JPEG, so it\'s not really that big a deal; just a bit of an annoyance.