Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hollow assumes the object is solid to begin with. There\'s a been a few ideas from people, the cornerstone of which is a better algorithm for determining the inside of a ship. If I do that, I should be able to make hollow smart enough to chip blocks that border others or the interior. That would help here.

Have you tried using the smooth tool? The ship is big enough that it looks pretty smooth already. I wonder if it would improve its lines to have it smoothed, or just blur them.

Oh! One funky idea would be for someone runing a server to change one of the planets to being the BSG. Kind of a like a derilict hulk in space. Maybe I should write a \"fossilize\" tool that converts hull to dirt. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not hard to do. What I would need is the data/config/BlockTypes.properties file. The question is should I change it from the values in the supplied file to the values int he current StarMade directory, or to the values in the file from the values in the current StarMade directory? (Or make it an option.)

Reaction score
    I am having trouble with importing .obj files... The objects are looking strung out and distorted. Could somebody else try my obj to see if its my error or if its smedit... Also to anyone who does want to try this for me the obj\'s are terrible ships i just started using blender.

Reaction score
    It has basic support for reading obj files at present. And since its not a dedicated obj importer/editor, it can\'t read it cleanly. You\'ve got artifacts from errors in the obj model\'s encoding (each program that exports to OBJ does so differently).

You should use an obj viewer like Meshlab or Skecthup to look at the model and then get a program called Binvox to convert it to the binvox format since SMedit has a much easier time handling binvox files than it does obj files.

Reaction score
    I found smooth to be annoying in the editor because it would apply it to the inside as well. That meant extra work removing the interior corners+wedges+excess non-surface blocks before I could build any systems/deck plans. If it could apply smoothing to the exterior only, that would be grand.

Presently to get the same effect I have to fill the interior with blocks, then smooth, then hollow it out. On large ships in the past this made SMedit get stuck for minutes on end.

Reaction score
    From what i have seen binvox is a nuisence to run using cmd and such.. am i looking at the wrong program or what?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    yes, basically binvox has no gui, and you need to control it from cmd using parameters. Or you can make batch file with code like this

start binvox.exe -d 640 binvox ship.obj

it will convert ship.obj to ship.binvox

-d 640 is parameter for size of ship

Reaction score
    Or do what I do and put a shortcut to cmd.exe in the binvox folder, run that instead, keep a copy of its command line options, and use them where needed on a case by case basis. For example there are times I want my ship to be 300 meters long and others where I only want 100 or 150.

-d is dimension. So using -d 640 will build the ship within the middle of a workspace that is 640x640x640 wherein the ship is then scaled to fit the length of the box. More or less. But using Binvox is more clean for importing into SMedit than using an obj right off the bat. That\'s the point I was making.

Reaction score
    Would be convenient, but then this actually gives you more information about whats going on as-is. If it had a GUI you\'d have progress bars instead. But anyway give binvox a try. its not hard to learn how to use it and its a very simple program.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Someone put in a request to control if smooth applied inside, outside or both, and did corners, wedges or both. Once I\'ve got a better algorithm from working out inside from outside I\'ll do it.

Remember: In absesnce of vote-up/vote-down feature request database, I do things biased by how many people are asking for them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So you use blender but you can\'t do a simple cmd command ? If you don\'t even try it, then this is not your place.

Reaction score
    Bro I never said I wouldnt try it. As a matter of fact im doing it now. So take your assumptions and shove it.

Reaction score
    I don\'t think that the size is what\'s affecting the obj export. Besides the missing faces, OBJ exporting work fine before you added the texture component. So i think something you changed in your code has slightly borked it :p

Reaction score
    Thanks for the help (helpfull people) I just imported my fist obj - binvox - starmade works great lookl like crap (my shitty modelling)

However I am glad i figured it out Thanks and keep up the good work!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I changed both hollow and smooth in today\'s updates. See update post and/or release notes.