Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well, I didn\'t actually wish to criticize the smoothing method, as right now, the game doesn\'t have enough block shapes to perfectly smoothen a curved area, so it would be a thing that can wait. It was just an example at what could use the \"user selective view\" feature.

On that detail, the corners\'s math is correct, but they are done together with the wedges, and that makes visual issues. For example the difference between left and right on this small sphere.

One of the mistakes it does, is putting that corner block between 4 blocks, because the wedges are not taken in account, where the solution would be first placing the wedges, then, having in account wedges, placing the corners. One big issue for symmetry is that there are no horizontal corners, with their \"base\" face towards the laterals instead of up/down.

So that\'s why, for now, there\'s not much to fix at this (except calculating wedges first, then corners), so I made no comments on a better suggestion.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    (I hate the Mac. Had a big update written, and confusion amongst the plethora of shift keys deleted it. But before the Mac advocate start thinking I\'m trolling them, don\'t worry: I hate Windows and Linux too. I flip between all three at work and I hate all of them. They each do boneheaded things. Worse, they each do different boneheaded things... Upshot: this will be terse.)

Binvox Import: I did some complicated things with import processing. Leveled out some memory spikes. Upshot: you can now import larger binvox files. Oh, they are also now hollowed out automtically.

Selection: You can now select regions by Shift-Left-Click & drag, then Shift-WASDQE to move the +ve selection point, Ctrl-WASDQE to move the -ve selection point, and WASDQE to move the entire selection region. XYZ faces are colored RGB, with the brighter side being +ve and the darker side being -ve. (I\'ll add in axis marking with similar coloring shortly.) You can\'t *do* anything yet with a selection. But that will happen soon. I\'m not happy with the keys used to make/alter the selection and very open to suggestions of better ones.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    can it handle the super chunx? how big can i go?

Edit: I should really try it out first. LOVE the loading bar. now i can tell this bad boy is actually working and not hung on some thorn bush somewhere in the code. awesome. we\'ll see after its done if it can save this ship (1020 long o_O)

Edit: Edit: ok it hung for 5 minutes at \"centering hull\" not sure what this is but i bailed there.

Reaction score
    Hi

I am using your tool and binvox with Wings3d to move modles, and i have been working with some large ones. I can get everything to work if I create the binvox @ 256, I did 512 and the tool locks up at 80 on import. and if I do the 1024, the tool just flashes and acts like I did not ask for anything. I have imported OBJ files, but some I have issues with, I dont know if it is a mesh or a light, but if I convert them to binvox (256) I can import them. One of the ships I am working with is 1424m long.

I can up load or give access to all files if you like. I do not use 3d studio max, I use the Wings3d to import and work on everything =] then export to the format I want. Wings can save in a few formats the binvox can read.

Love the tool, and all the progress BTW.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Did you try with my lunchtime update? That should speed up and reduce the memory requirements for large binvox files. If not, then, please, link to your failing files or send them to [email protected]

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    When it does the import, the ship runs from 0,0,0 to 256,256,256 (or whatever the size of your binvox file is). Since that is pretty useless, it moves the ship so the physical center of the ship is at 8,8,8. That shouldn\'t be a problematic operation. Any exceptions on the console?

I was able to bring in a 512,512,512 (Spacestation Atlantis). It had some weird pixel static, but I\'m not sure if that was the 3ds->OBJ->binvox conversions or my fault. I was able to save and load it correctly in my tool. I didn\'t get a chance to try it in the game.

[I do this on my lunch break, but even so, I work in an open office and I don\'t want to distrct other people by quite so obviously playing games!]

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Fill lets you sort of quickly roll out a ship. Think of the values as percentages. Say you wanted 10% of the interior space to be empty, 20% to be filled with weapon blocks, 5% with shield blocks, etc, etc. Fill them in and press the button.

In reality, it just adds up all the numbers, and uses them as proportional fractions. So they don\'t have to add up to exactly 100.

This mod can use improvement, and I\'m open to suggestions. Other systems? Different configurations? Right now is just clusters them all together in a biased location. But I\'ve seen posts about how specific configuration are better.

Ultimately, when we finally crack StarMade or they open it for mods, plugins like this will be directly support so that enemy ships can be auto-generated. No more every-pirate-is-an-Isanth! So I\'m keen on improving this even if it isn\'t brilliant for custom ship design.

Reaction score
    Yes I did, I have been working on them off and on today, and read your update, then dl\'d and started over.

I will send you some later this eve.

Reaction score
    Just an fyi, I emailed the stuff over.

I started testing at home with out having the textures on the model, but that was not the issue.

Then I tried to import the obj file I had just made with the full sized ship. It froze... So I launched from a command prompt with a java wrapper, wow look it uses all 8 cores... what was I thinking... anyway, the error was out of memory, I gave 10GB of ram on the next launch (it was limitting at 4 + GB) and it seems like it will be running a little while so I will up date in the AM.

Reaction score
    Ok well that ended quick.

Out of memory error.

I set the memory to 12GB, but loaded the binvox 1024 image (windows) and it finished. Odd thing is it never used more than 2GB, and when done was less than 3GB of RAM, so the wrapper could be needed.

Now what to do with this big thing. =]

*edit Well, she is big and wow the detail... just her butt is messed up bad and inverted. I will send the blueprint to you. =]

I will let you know of anything else. Also I will email the log from the last load of the 1024 binvox, as there was allot going into the log with unknown events and stuff if you like and think would be useful.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello there

I was wondering if someone could help me with my issue.

Essentially, I ended up making my ship backwards, with the core facing the direct opposite direction. I\'ve been trying to play around with the rotation tool to correct the issue, however, everytime I load the rotated blueprint into the game, the navigation symbol for the ship\'s core is outside of the actual ship itself, and getting in the core I find that I\'m unable to move the ship at all.

Am I doing something wrong. or is this just the software itself?

Link:http://www.mediafire.com/download/l1k1o0bb2kynntw/Stabber.sment

Link to the ship in question, if that will help anyone willing to..help.

Thanks again in advance for your time

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I did a late night fix for a binvox import core location problem for one user. If you hadn\'t done a fresh download when you posted this, try again. Otherwise I\'ll look at this today.

(Been thinking of doing an auto-download feature, since I\'m rolling out so many patches!)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have noidea how to install it waht is jo_subdirectory or whaetever it was i cant find it!!!!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Its simple, place jo_sm.jar in the root directory of starmade. You then make a folder called jo_plugins and place jo_FileMods.jar in that folder. Then launch the tool by clicking jo_sm.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'d like to get a wiki set up so we can create better documentation. It\'s a bit awkward maintaining it in this thread. Last I checked there were a few wikis that didn\'t seem well engaged. Has the community settled on one wiki? Does it have a tools page?

I\'ve been thinking of doing some YouTube videos too.

Reaction score
    This is the one Schema has listed on this site, http://www.starmadewiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

Which I am sure you know, so I would chase him down. =] If he is not looking at this already...

BTW did you get a chance to look at the emails?

*edit

After messing with the same files, in the tool everything looks great, it is after the save to BP. In game it is messed up on the back, but if I reload the BP in the tool it is missing part of one side.

Could I need to move the posision of the model in the 3d modeling software in the center of the workspace?

The core is always placed dead center, even in game. I will post back after I test.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry, I wasn\'t able to get to the large ship stuff you\'re reporting this lunchtime. As most of it appears fine in the tool, I have to run the game to see results. Even thought it\'s my lunch hour, I\'m in an open office and out of respect for my colleagues I save game-running stuff for home.

But I have posted an update containing the usual clipboard commands: select all, select none, cut, copy, paste and delete. I was able to take a Isanth-VI, copy the left wing, paste it next to it. Then do the same with the right wing. Then I copied the aft three blocks, deleted the aftmost plane of blocks, then pasted back onto the end of it. So I had a double winged extended Isanth-VI. Whee.

The clipboard format is XML/plain text. So you can copy bits and pieces off and save them as building modules. Having a \"palette\" of such modules in the edtior could be useful. I\'m open to suggestions on how to best represent that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry if this is redudant, but I am at work and unable to test the latest update. Were you able to look into the core placement being wrong after rotation?