Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wow, incredible! You got importing binvox completely flawless - it was loading everything I threw at it! However, I was unable to save ships longer than 240 blocks(roughly+/-1 block) using your tool. If it was any longer, it would save into multiple .smd2 files and would not link them together correctly. I assume this is what was happening atleast... maybe you already knew of this limit?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    #4 Well, the current list is correct, it would just miss Energy Tank blocks, and less importantly, Pulsator system and Energy Drain/Transmitter systems, but user configurable would be a great idea, especially if there would also be an option to delete what\'s selected in the view. For example, one makes a shape with this tool, the Smooth system is incorrect, (because the corners are not placed where they should/in the way they should for an actually correct/smooth hull surface, they work more like covering holes between hulls and wedges), so he makes it anyway, then select to view \"Corners\" and delete them all at once, for easier replacing. This just as an example, but there are many other uses for selective view/remove, like removing badly placed energy systems/weapon systems and such.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I hit that problem. The nose of the shark ended up appearing behind the tail. But, as you can see from the picture, I fixed that.

Can you send me a link ot a binvox file that isn\'t working? (I may not get to it today. Monday is D&D night!)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Firstly, it\'s poor form to critize something without suggesting how to do it differently. If you think the corners aren\'t placed the way they should be, how do you think they should be placed? Be precise. Right now when it finds an empty space next to exactly three solid hull blocks at right angles, it puts a corner there. What do you think the conditions should be for corner placement? Merely denigrating it, and suggesting ways of deleting what it does rather than how to fix what it does is counterproductive to a meaningful conversation.

I\'m still not following quite what you want for selective block viewing. But making it user configurable is simple. So I\'ll do that, let you set it up the way you like, and then I\'ll take back what you\'ve done and make it the defaults.

Lastly you are veering from selective viewing, to actual selection. That\'s a different kettle of fish. Right now the only feature in the program is to be able to identify existing blocks. In order to do real selection it needs a way of identifying a space that is not a block. StarMade does that in-game by letting you identify a face, and then selecting the empty block that the face borders. I\'m not entirely happy that this is the best way, but I\'m not sure of a better one. I figure once you have a block selected, I figured I would make it so WASD(QE) moved the +ve selection point and wasd(qe) moved the -ve one. That gives you selection of rectangular areas. Other than the obvious cut/paste/nudge, other mods, like hull, could make use of the current selection. The other implementation headache is how to visually show the selection within my current rendering model.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Attached is a new binvox files that is roughly 300 blocks long and has all the ship details.

https://mega.co.nz/#!6d5nwCjS!TT1ZNGowjmxlkZU0TAuxpAkQfaJKlDqOUshIbUIL2fw

While importing the ship, I selected hollow and in doing so, when you save the ship, it will only generate a header file. I would assume the hollow feature is getting thrown off by the details of the ship, but thats my guess. Additionally,if you forgo hollowing out the ship, save it, and then import it into star made, the nose is missing a few blocks. The amount missing seems to be inconsistent and when I try to scale the ship up to 350 blocks, both the front and the tail are missing blocks.

Thanks again for all the hard work! I was reading the intro to your book and it looks quite good!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have been moving the core of my ship and it would seem that if I move it along the length of the ship, that determines where the savefile is cut off. Example, if the ship is 300 blocks long, and I move to that back 20 or so blocks of the ship, most of the front is cut off. However, if I place the core more in the middle of the ship, fewer parts of the ship are cut off. Hopefully this information helps!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    hello. i\'ve been toying with this and its amazing. i was able to easily change the color of my favorite ship to my new faction colors like a charm!

SOOOOOO much time saved. all those wedges would have been a bitch.

but since i\'ve been toying around with binvox, i\'m realizing that sometimes i\'m not sure if the program is finished with the command i\'ve given it or not. (some larger ship hulls i\'m hollowing and whatnot) and i\'m not sure if its safe to save and finish if the process isnt complete yet. this is purely for us with little knowlege of this type of thing, but could you add some kind of \"working\" animation or icon in a corner somewhere? or maybe something that tells you when its\' done?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    ok i\'m hitting a snag here. i\'ve got my binvox loaded (i created it with mesh of 512 instead of 256 so its big enough to show detail) i import it, it shows the entire ship. i save it as a blueprint, and load it in game and its missing about 100 blocks from the back of the ship, just sliced right off the back. i thought this might be a problem with starmade. but i tried making it in the offline viewer, saving it, then opening it right back up. when i i do that, its already missing the back part and i never even opend up the game. i think there might be a problem somwhere when saving larger ships. i\'m not sure how large people have been working with. but this one is giving me that problem.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i just tried it again, but this time instead of 512, i used \"binvox -d 400 carrier.mdl\" to create my binvox file. it worked with default (256) but again i am missing the rear of the ship.

there\'s like an 1/8th of my ship missing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    _shifty, I too have this problem. if anything is much over 240 blocks long in length, Jo\'s tool will cut a portion of it off when it saves the blueprint. Additionally, the placement of your core determines where it is cut off. I.e. if you place your core near the front of your ship you will lose more than just 1/8th of the ship. He has been super fast with bug fixes but I believe he said he is busy today so we must wait patiently.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have thoughts to improving the API to mods. Right now they are just called, and they block until they return. I\'m thinking of adding a \"current state\" input, which would include the currently selected color, the current selection (when supported) and whatever other state the program might maintain. Secondly, a sort of \"callback\" object that lets the running mod tell the main program things. Like if it\'s doing a long running task, etc. I agree, it\'s needed. I\'ve just been holding back because it is an interface level change. But I\'ll get there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yep, sorry. Monday night is D&D night. (Although tonight I was running Traveller, my favorite, yay!)

What\'s up is that your ship gets broken up into \"superchunks\" that are 256x256x256 blocks. (These contains chunks that are 16x16x16.) This gets called Blah.x.y.z.smb2. Where x/y/z is the offset of that superchunk of ship. Most ships just have a single one that 0.0.0 which covers from -128 to +127. (Your core is at 8,8,8.) So if your ship sticks out past -128 or +127 that part of the ship will get written into a different superchunk.

So where the bugs are is how I separate and stitch together those superchunks. I fixed some of those bugs, but, based on your reports, I obviously didn\'t get them all. I\'ll start looking at it tomorrow, but I thought it was worth explaining what was going on. If you pick a voxel size that keeps it within -128 to +127 you won\'t hit those bugs and you can play around a bit while I work on a fix.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    thanks so much for the speedy reply.

here\'s what i\'m working on so far

great model. (gonna take off a lot of the decorative stuff actually and lay in my own)

but as you can see the hangers are much to small to make them useful to carry actual ships.

but once the superchunks are working, i\'ll be able to rock this baby out.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i noticed that this is going on too.

as you can see, in the blueprint \"nikomedes\" everything is there. (this file is smaller and it all saves.

but in \"carry\" only the .smbph file saves. when this happens i cant even spawn it OR load it back into the editor. this could be a seperate bug though as i cannot even load it into game to see if it is missing pieces or not.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    How do you run the tool? Do you click the jar from the GUI?

If so, can you run from the command line. Looks like you are on Windows. Do Start->Run->cmd. When you get the DOS box, change to your StarMade directory and do \"java -jar jo_sm.jar\". The app will run as normal, but will also print messages in the DOS box. I\'m pretty sure what is happening here is that it is crashing out. It will probably print an exception on the console. It would be very helpful to me if you can take a copy of that output. (Right click on the console icon, select edit -> mark, drag the mouse over the text, hit enter, and it will be in your clipboard.)

Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi Jo, I too had this problem. I\'m at work so I can\'t give you a log print out. If you wanted to recreate this error - take my latest binvox file, import it, and hollow it out. The save will produce the same header file only error. Hopefully this helps! Were you able to see what was causing the \'superchunk\' alignment issues?

Reaction score
    First, thanks for your work on this. I\'ve been toying around with the tool a fair bit and have an error message relating to the issue _shifty is facing.

Additionally, I have one suggestion after playing with the obj import system- visible axis in the editor. I played with the rotation, saving, and loading up the blueprint in-game before I finally managed to get the thing aligned properly. (I probably could have gotten it on the first try, but the model I was importing is a bit... odd in shape, so it took me a while to figure out which side was supposed to be up.)

So, without further ado, the error info!

This occured after opening a blueprint in the editor, running the hollow function on the ship, and attempting a save as( resulting in the same sort of file in the StarMade directory as is shown in _shifty\'s photos). From what is obviously stated in the exception itself, it appears that hollow will eat the ship core when running.

Of course, you can see for yourself.

Exception in thread \"AWT-EventQueue-0\" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No co
    re!
    at jo.sm.ship.logic.LogicLogic.make(LogicLogic.java:86)
    at jo.sm.logic.BlueprintLogic.saveBlueprint(BlueprintLogic.java:117)
    at jo.sm.ui.act.file.SaveAsBlueprintAction.actionPerformed(SaveAsBluepri
    ntAction.java:55)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown
    Source)
    at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Sour
    ce)
    ce)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    ce)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Thanks for all your efforts!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That was exactly what I needed. Better, it\'s not Java crashing somewhere because I goofed, it\'s one of my own error messages. It\'s telling me I\'m an idiot because when I hollowed out the ship I also hollowed out the core. Doh! That\'s better than better because it is simple to fix. No complicated superchunk problems. Just half a line of code.

Fix posted.

Also in fix: progress bar for long running tasks. It also remembers the last inputs you gave and prompts you with them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The superchunks limitation also happens on normal game-built ships, like, loading a built ship longer than 256m, it cuts off the front and back part, same hapened at any ship of bigger size that I tried to load from the game. So this bug is quite a big limitation/problem.