Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just published an e-version of the audiobook I\'m promoting. Liking it would make me happy. Buying it will make my daughter happy. (Procedes go towards buying her minecraft lego!)

Vii

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The paint tool is coming out wonderfully, and i love the ability to save now. Some requests would be an ability to remove blocks, especially a \'remove all visible\' blocks, so we can quickly hollow out the filtered systems. Also, a Save As funciton so we don\'t overwrite our original file would be wonderful. ((Undo and Redo would be amazing :D ))

And a bug, sometimes whatever i view becomes inverted.. I\'ll be seeing the inside of the ship or something instead of the outside. And often times blocks don\'t appear at all.

Reaction score
    I have a ship that is 1500+m long... i tried loading the ship by choosing the file and noticed that their were multiple files to select... After some confusion i noticed each file loaded only a segment of my ship.... WHY?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Mostly I\'ve been messing with small ships. Big ships get into multiple chunks which is more complicated. I hadn\'t started testing that. If you attach your ship or send a link to it, I\'ll use that as a test, find out what is wrong, and fix it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A new version has been posted. This one supports mods. Mods are distributed as jar files. To use it, create a \"jo_plugins\" directory in your StarMade directory. All you need do is put the jar file in the directory.

Try it out with this mod here. This will add a \"Stripes\" option to the new Mods button on the Pain panel (So Racr can paint racing strips on her ships) and a \"Hollow\" option on the new Mods menu (so Vii can hollow out his rough models).

If anyone is interested in writing their own mods, let me know and I\'ll write up some doc. If anyone is interested in being able to call mods from scripts, sing out and I\'ll create a harness for that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Write some mods to rotate your ship around the core and to move the core. You can get them under the \"Mods\" menu.

Don\'t forget to download both the application jar (which goes in the StarMade directory) and my mods jar (which goes in the jo_plugins) directory.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This editor is great.

It would be great to be able to export to OBJ to import into Blender to then do high quality renders of ships

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Vii has already asked me to import from obj. Exporting shouldn\'t be a problem. I\'m not sure I\'ll be able to do textures, though. Each tile has its own one. And I think the way obj works is that you need to apply one texture to the whole object.

Also the first pass will not conjoin individual tiles. So you\'ll have more triangles than you would if it was properly optimized. But I can make sure that invisible edges won\'t be exported. I have to do that calculation for the viewer anyway.

If you really like it, you can thank me by buying my book!)

Reaction score
    This project is very interesting, but I\'m confused for a bit.

You mentioned that people can change the location of the core, does this mean people can edit ships in this viewer/editor and save them again to a blueprint folder? Or not quite yet?

EDIT: Can\'t get it to run either, I\'m starting it by double-clicking, then I specify the folder, and after that nothing happens.

Monitoring the java process.. It remains up when I have to specify the folder, after I press okay memory usage increases to ~ 30-40mb and then the process simply vanishes.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Write is enabled for writing back entity based object. Basically, anything that isn\'t a blueprint or independent file. It\'s not perfect. If you don\'t substantially change the size, it should be OK. I wrote a scaling plugin that lets you multiply your ship\'s size by a user supplied factor. However the ship comes back in with each chunk (16x16x16 cube) twisted 90 degrees. o_O Still trying to work out what\'s up with that.

The startup instructions are probably kind of scattered. You want to put the jo_sm.jar file in the StaraMade root, then make a jo_plugins directory and put in JoFilesMods.jar. If running the jar file still doesn\'t work, try doing java -jar jo_sm.jar from the StarMade directory on the command line/terminal shell. See if it spits up any error messages.

Reaction score
    Thank you for the additional instructions, clear as glass now, but I got the following error after running it through command prompt:

Exception in thread \"main\" java.awt.image.RasterFormatException: (x + width) is
    outside of Raster
    at sun.awt.image.ByteInterleavedRaster.createWritableChild(Unknown Sourc
    e)
    at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.getSubimage(Unknown Source)
    at jo.sm.ui.BlockTypeColors.getBlockImage(BlockTypeColors.java:817)
    at jo.sm.ui.EditPanel.newButton(EditPanel.java:136)
    at jo.sm.ui.EditPanel.(EditPanel.java:58)
    at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.(RenderFrame.java:81)
    at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.main(RenderFrame.java:204)

Could it have something to do with a custom windows theme I\'m using?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That\'s exactly what it\'s about. I\'m not quite sure why. I\'m guessing you are using a different resolution? If you attach or point to your file I\'ll try it out. Probably not hard to adjust.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I had been focused on entity-based grid because I wanted to get the fundamentals down for writing planet and rock generation mods for the server. I think that would be a really popular thing. But I hit the problem where it did the chunk rotation when I grew the size of a build. That lead back to the entity file format. After more tedious decompilation and analysis of obfusticated code, I\'ve got that cracked. But there\'s a lot more in the entitfy file than I thought. It\'s going to be a bit of a pain to reconsile that.

With that, tonight I\'ll be pivoting back to blueprints. More is known about their format. I moved away from that because of the reconsiliation needed with the anciliary files. But that would probably be less work than syncing up with the entity files

In the end, my method is to be guided by the interest in the forum here dividied by the difficulty of the task. You guys are my audience and you are who I\'m performing for. So, please, sing out about what you like and what you don\'t like. About what features you want, and what you want to do with them.

I\'m not just fishing for complements. The feedback you give really does guide what I do.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Great job so far!

Would like to se a \"Split\" feature, that would allow you to split a ship into two separate pieces,
    and to move these pieces individually.
    Lets say that I have a long ship with segments, and would like to add another segment in the middle, I could split, move, and copy-paste.

Keep it up! :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There\'s lots of good suggestions here. I don\'t to lose them. But they are slipping out of my brain. Does anyone know of good feature request tracking software? Preferably one that people can make suggestions, vote them up and down, etc. If necessary, I can run it on my own server, but I\'d rather use a hosted solution.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Havent tried them myself, but these two seems free and easy to use.
    UserVoice - https://www.uservoice.com/
    WuFoo - http://www.wufoo.com/form-builder/

Hope they are of any use :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Github has a built in \"issues tacker\" a MC team I work with uses as a feature request/bug tracker...
    IE: https://github.com/Multiverse/Multiverse-Core/issues

Also (@jjaquinta/other moders) I\'m back for 2-3 weeks so if you need/want to throw tasks at me I can help...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Currently working on the ability for users to set/change textures via the file menu.
    Also looking into the applet version and thus allowing sites to set their own texture\'s
    Also looking into \"re/undo\"