Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Started the write work, but I forgot to check in the source after lunchtime. :-(

But I do have a small update: I merged all the buttons into a single one that brings up a tree. So it\'s a lot easier to manage large numbers of objects now. Also another button lets you open any .smd2 file on disk.

I\'ve noticed that it doesn\'t display wedges or corners right. I started into that, but I\'m currently stuck trying to interpret the orientation value. Where I want to go is that you can select \"make smooth\". This will work out all the hull areas you have with right angles, and automatically insert wedges and corners to smooth the overall look. This is VERY tedious to do with the in-game editor. And I think it will go a long way to improving the visual line of ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I finally got wedges working. (But not corners yet.) So they come up when viewing ships.

What? You haven\'t been smoothing your ship outlines by using the hull wedges? Oh, because it is tedious and time consuming to use the in-game editor to do so. I see...

Well, that\'s not an excuse anymore! I\'ve added a \"smooth\" button that automatically adds wedges between right angle blocks. It only puts them in if there are exactly two hull blocks next to empty space. So you may want to do some touch up work. But it gets the color consistent.

Sadly, I still haven\'t got save working, so you can just look at your smoothed masterpiece for now. But I\'m trying to get that going before I go on vacation this weekend.

Jar at top of link updated. Here is screen cap.

BEFORE

AFTER

Vii

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I love the fact you can paint your ship now. Would this thing have the power to Move the ships core?

Reaction score
    it could just move every single block around the core, effectively the same result as moving the core.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry for the silence. I was on vacation.

Yep, I can have it appear to \"move the core\". In reality it would be moving the rest of the ship, but that wouldn\'t be apparent.

Let me try to get save working first then I\'ll look into that.

Vii

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have the ability to take 3d models and voxelize them, like so, using 3ds Max and Rayfire voxelizer.

The program allows me to export the voxels as a point cloud. Would it be possible to write something that can take one of these point clouds and turn it into a schematic? Preferably putting the core on the origin of the model

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I\'m having the same problem that Vii was, I can\'t seem to get the program to display anything other than the Isanth. If I attempt to get it to display any other blueprint, it appears as an empty black screen where the ship usually shows up.

*Edit* Never mind, I figured out how to get around it. Anyways, you did add wedges, but you forgot hardened wedges! Still, awesome program! Can\'t wait for the save button to be added!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Could you add some region select and edit functionality like mcedit.

Still, absolutely fantastic work

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yep. I forgot this. Silly me.

I\'ve posted an update with support for hardened hulls; for painting, display and smoothing.I also added a button to automatically convert all unhardened hulls to hardened, and vice versa. (Still no save. Working on that!)

Please look for bugs and report them!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    OK. I\'m a little confused what direction you are going in. You want to design something in 3DS and import it to StarMade? Is that right?

I can\'t see that as being too hard. At least as far as getting in raw hull blocks. If the original data file has colors in it, I could convert those. Extra points and I can dither hull blocks to approximate original colors (I did another tool for this here).

If I\'ve got it right, please send me (or point me at) a sample input file you would like to use. I\'ve never been able to afford 3DS max myself. :-(

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just downloaded MCEdit the other day. I haven\'t played with it much. The main problem with region selection in 3D is how to put it in the UI. But I\'ll have a look into how MCEdit do it and see if I can wrap my head around it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you want to contribute, you can always buy the audio book linked to in the begging line. I\'ll have a text version up on Smashwords as soon as I get a decent cover for it.

Just saying... :)

Well, actually, just shamelessly self promoting! :-D Baby needs a minecraft lego set...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    feature request: select blocks by type (search and replace) -- for example

- search all grey hull and replace with hardened grey hull...

- search all black hull and replace with red hull... (yay, instapaintjob)

- search all antimatter cannons and replace with shields...