Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    Mod support when it comes, Custom block support, After this is finalized will you be making a costum block creator?

Reaction score
    I think a slice editor would provide a great alternitive to building with the ingame editor.

Brushes, and making lines and other shapes by just clicking and draging. Even having this like Polygon, octogon,circle generators would be great.

I hate having to fly around to build my ship, I would rather draw it layer by layer like a CAD.

You could call it...StarCAD... ok bad name.

Also importing .kv6 ; .vox and .kvx files, the standard voxel formats. If anything, turing a kv6-etc. files to a shematic alone would be epic.

Vii

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Heres a link to the .obj file. In there, if you have blender or something, you should be able to find both the voxelized model, for reference, and the point cloud model. I\'m trying to figure out how to export the pointcloud into some sort of text file or something, but i don\'t know if there is such a capability. If you need any certain particular type of file, let me know and i\'ll see what i can do.
    Here is an image of what the voxels look,

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    This is a REALLY awesome tool. Can\'t wait for the save tool, either, it will make it really easy to customize my faction\'s ships by Fleet, Task Group, and Squadron.

Vii

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Your \"All\" button will change the color of all hull, except yellow :O

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Got the code laid down for the \"save\" button. First attempt to change the color of four hull blocks on a rock crashed the server. Not worth releasing yet. :-(

A debugging we shall go... (Interium code is here if anyone wants a go at it. The bugs are going to be in DataLogic.writeFile)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Am I blind? Or did you forget to put it in.

I think I already have code to parse an OBJ file.

I was lying in bed thinking about this last night and I think I should be able to write a converter for any export. It may not need to be voxelized. Just a bit of 3d math. I think if I iterate over all the points in space and work out if it is \"inside\" by projecting a ray from that point away from the origin and counting how many tiles it intersects. If it\'s an odd number, then it is inside, otherwise it is outside.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have been looking for an editor like MCedit for starmade and now we almost have one. I have bookmarked this page and will be checking back regularly. Absolutely fantastic.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This github project is a child of the other one. I like to check in every night. But it\'s not going to be stable every night. So I do my checkins to this project. When I\'m happy that I\'ve reached a stable state (usually when I post something) then I put in a pull request and the changed code gets merged. I\'m told this is how one does things on GitHub. I\'m not terribly familiar with it. So I may have it wrong.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I only really wanted to write a viewer. But there are too many useful things to do so I got caught up in it. Made progress tonight. Edited files don\'t crash the server anymore. But hull blocks disppeared from a floating rock when I did a no-change edit, and my ship entirely disappeared. :-( Still got bugs to sort out.

Reaction score
    Ah roger. I think you can just branch it, but I don\'t use github myself so not sure what the \"best practice\" is :)

Vii

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m sorry about earlier, i\'ve no idea what happened to the link o_O

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=BE1E0C0929FCE3A9!671&authkey=!AEm3lkG-vFli0HM

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Got it. I\'ve seen that format before. I believe I even already have code that can parse it. I\'ll look into it!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    OK. I made enough progress to post a new version. I managed to successfully write a floating-rock. I tries a station, and was able to change the hull color, but a lot of it didn\'t appear. I\'m not sure if it was for corruption, or missing data.

I have not tried it yet on Your Ships. It will not work on Blueprints.

If you are brave enough to try it BACK EVERYTHING UP FIRST!!! The program will create a .bak file of your ship. But if you save it twice, it keeps using the same .bak file. Better to copy everything to another directory.

I\'m camping this weekend on Bumpkin Island (go ahead, google it). There\'s no power and we have to pack everything in and out. So no laptop for me. But please let me know about your successes and failures. I\'ll respond when I\'m back.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    When I try to open it java claims it is either invalid or corrupt, any ideas how to fix this?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not sure what happened there. I\'ve refreshed it. Please try again.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry about that, mate. My simple search and replace didn\'t notice that hardened yellow hulls become gold. Fixed now.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    New update. I\'ve migrated things from the button bar to a menu bar. That means I can put much more on. I went and did view filtering. So you can now peruse different systems of your ship. Handy if you want to see what is \"under the covers\" on an uploaded ship. I put in some basic filters. I\'m open to suggestions for other filters.

It is not exposed yet, but I\'ve also started to lay the groundwork for mods. The team is finding difficulty making headway on the mod front. But we have a plan. We\'re going to go ahead and spec out modding interfaces. First we\'re going to support them in this tool. Later, as something you might call from a server script. And eventually when we crack (or they open) the code, as full blown live product mods. We think we can come up with a design that will let you code now and carry through as we dig deeper. But it\'s still in discussion.