Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Do I pick when uploading a ship made in game?

Edit: Never mind, I got it. Also, thank you for your awnser, I\'m actually al right with the inability to add and remove blocks, It was a good move to not replace in the in game editor.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I hear you, no need busting you back on stuff that will be irrelevant at any time.

Whenever our work rely on others it can be rough.

If I understand correctly you say add -opengl to my terminal launch.

I am using this now.

(java -Xmx3g -jar /Applications/StarMade/SMEdit.jar)

So when I try with the -opengl, I get errors. It must be a Mac limitation.

(java -Xmx3g -opengl -jar /Applications/StarMade/SMEdit.jar)

===

Unrecognized option: -opengl

Could not create the Java virtual machine.

===

When you say, \"fully graphical interface\", do you mean with scrolling and buttons to change views at 90º intervals and the ability to zoom in any place on a station not just the center? That would be great. I would love to be able to copy parts and paste them, maybe even step and repeat. My station is just too big for detail in the basic view in SMEdit. Right now I am basically using it to rotate the cores and move them some times. I also wanted to add a thickness of a block to get a true center, by selecting and deleting one half then mirroring the other using reflective symmetry. I had issues, plus I forgot to have the mirroring on in StarMade editor so I did one half and don\'t want to do it all again. heh

Thanks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    >It must be a Mac limitation.

Nah. I use a Mac for my lunchtime development. It works OK. The problem is the location of the argument. It\'s a parameter to the program, not java. So it goes at the end like this:

java -Xmx3g -jar /Applications/StarMade/SMEdit.jar -opengl

>When you say, \"fully graphical interface\",

I mean more like in the game. Right now it works like a snowglobe. Your ship is embedded in the middle, and you spin the whole globe. That\'s partially because I\"m doing all the math for the position and translation. Three-D positional transforms with perspective is hard, and it\'s also exactly what OpenGL is good at. So it makes sense to use it for that. The OpenGL change was to use the idea that you have a point-of-view that occupies a physical position in the ship space, and you move it about and pivot it to look from that viewpoint. It\'s not there yet. I\'m bogged down in other OpenGL annoyances. But it will give you an idea of where I\'d like to go with it.

>I would love to be able to copy parts and paste them,

You can do this already. You can even maintain a shape library of ready-pastable ships.

>maybe even step and repeat.

There\'s the ability to write macros, that let you automate any other function you can do in SMEdit. E.g. you could record a macro, do a paste, then edit the macro and put a loop around it.

>so I did one half and don\'t want to do it all again.

Well, you can use the reflective symmetry function to do this, or a copy-paste-reflect, would amount to the same thing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks for that.

I just tested it and I see now. I zoom inside the object/ship. That is nice. My ships and stations are huge.

I can do inside alts with this now. this does help.

I will test the copy to library and the micros. It\'s a big learning curve but I think in the long run I will get it all down.

Heck it took awhile for me to get the reverse left and right click in StarMade from Minecraft.

It\'s funny I have been building huge Starships and stations in Minecraft since the beginning wishing they would add SPACE to it, and now with StarMade its a reality. Great fun. I will be following StarMade and SMEdit like I do Minecraft.

thanks again

miconu

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    lol, for some reason I keep getting this error when I try to import a .obj

Error executing plugin

Plugin: Import/OBJ
    Arguments:

• file := C:\\Users\\Tenaka\\Documents\\3dsmax\\export\\F305.obj
    • longestDimension := 30

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
    at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
    at jo.vecmath.logic.ext.Hull3fLogic.getBounds(Hull3fLogic.java:39)
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.PlotLogic.getScale(PlotLogic.java:192)
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportOBJPlugin.modify(ImportOBJPlugin.java:72)
    at jo.sm.ui.act.plugin.BlocksPluginAction$1.run(BlocksPluginAction.java:67)
    at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:14)

and in the consol I get this error message:

Unrecognized vetex texture line \'vt -0.1291 0.0817 0.0000\'
    Read 0 triangles

I\'ve tried using previous obj\'s that worked, some still work others come up with this. I\'ve also tried changing the export options in 3ds max(exporting the mesh using triangles, quads, and poly\'s).

TK

Reaction score
    I\'d like the ability to take a very large object that I import (either from a .schematic, a .obj or .binbox) and replace a vanilla station with it.

I\'ve tried to Select All, Copy, then open the station to Select All, Delete, and paste but all I get is a big empty screen. And in one case where I tried to open the object and directly save it over top of the station in question the object didn\'t load in the sector I found the original station in (for example I found station in 2 2 7, back off to 2 2 5, tried to replace said station, logged back in. The station no longer existed on the nav when I went back to 2 2 7).

So some way to turn one object imported (or a blueprint of large enough stature) into a station and replace a vanilla station with it would be nice. Building stations by hand can be fun but when it gets to something as complex as what I have in mind (50% larger than a planet at least), building it by hand would be a very time consuming process even for a group of people.

I\'ve kind of pulled it off as long as I did it by pasting over top of the vanilla station but then that kind of makes a conjoined mess of it when you look at it in game. The processes involved in my attempts were a little emory intensive too but that\'s because of the sheer size of the object involved.

Reaction score
    I am unsure of where to seek a fix for My problem so i turn to you guys for help/a point in the right direction

I am converting a ship obj into a binvox however i am getting a glitch in tho binvox

http://i.imgur.com/Dh8oPBI

you can see the difference when compaired to the obj

http://i.imgur.com/vxbBQZB

If you guys can give me a fix i would be greatly appreciative also if this is unwanted/in the worng place say the word and ill delete the post.

Thanks

Reaction score
    No not really I was asking if there were instructions as to how to import an obj with the textures. Whenever I export an obj I get the .obj the .mtl and the textures folder however I havn\'t found a way to connect those files in smedit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve had some success re-writing ships in place. As long as everything saves successfully, it works.

There could be one of two things going wrong here.

1. Ad-hoc objects (stations, shops, planets, etc) are tracked differently. There\'s some funky information in their entity file, not all of which I\'m sure I understand. And there\'s a hidden database somewhere in an undocumented format where I think they are tracked at the generation level. That\'s why I can\'t create new objects on the fly. I\'d really like the crack that. (I got into this whole thing because what I really want to do is write planet generators!) But it would take some work to get around Schema\'s tedious insistance on obfuscating the code. I grow weary of backwards engineering his stuff.

2. A simpler problem might be that it is slapping a ship\'s core into your station. When StarMade reads it, it says \"WTF\" and deletes it. If that\'s the case, I just have to make StarMade smart enough not to do that when writing a station.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You can import an OBJ straight. It\'s a lot better than it used to be at that. Also, the BSG has been done to a pretty good quality already. Check StarMadeUniverse. I think Khluabane put his there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The obj file points to the mtl file, which references the textures. As long as you leave them where they were when you exported them, it will automatically pick them up.

Don\'t expect anything dramatic though. There\'s only 7 colors in StarMade. Most cool textures don\'t translate well.

Reaction score
    I\'ve kind of pulled it off. I opened the object I wanted to turn into a station first, replaced its core with a build block, then did the Select All/Copy\" bit. Next I opened the station, using a clean world and the first neutral station I ran across. With this opened I did Select All and Paste. Trying to delete the station first before pasting the new one in results in one of two outcomes: the station isn\'t loaded when you go back into the game, or, the vanilla station persists.

Pasting the replacement station on top of the vanilla one results in a \"fusion\" of the two with the \"new\" station (with its build block as its \"core\") being centered exactly on the spot the game thinks the old station\'s central point was (the nav daimond). And as the two clip into one another, the new station tends to win the war of \"nudging\" and much of the old station is erased within a small distance from the walls of the replacement. However, this is where cleanup gets tricky.

Replacing the old station\'s blocks with air doesn\'t work very well. For example, lets say I made the new station out of purple hull and pasted ot over the vanilla station. If I tried to replace the grey hull blocks of the vanilla one with air, there\'s a kind of 50/50 chance that half of said blocks will be removed. The other 50% of the time (only an estimate) the game ignores the edit and keeps the vanilla station as it was (\"fused\" to the replacement station as it were). So for now the tedious route is to just paste it on top of the vanilla station then go in-game and start manually cleaning up the mess by hand.

Reaction score
    When importing the obj their is alot of static on the surfaces/no smooth lines very distorted looking

http://i.imgur.com/viLSxsP.png?1

Reaction score
    If you imported with SMedit\'s obj import, then thats why. It\'s not exactly fine tuned yet, but we hope for the day when it\'s better than binvox.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I be able to correctly scale something that I import from Sketch up? I\'m trying to build a ship from a certain Star Wars video game, I\'m having trouble now because when ever I try to spawn the WIP the game claims that it is \"modified\" and deletes the blueprint. So I just want to important a to scale model of said ship from Sketch up (already have the model.) into SMedit, would I be able to scale the imported model to the official measurments?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey I was just moving my core and I have a hard time knowing where it is. I use the axis but my ships and stuff are too big and I can\'t see the axis. Is there a better way to spot it? Or can you make it a red dot that sets on top of everything as an option? Or maybe extend the axis as an option so they can be super long?

Thanks just thought I would toss that out there while I was thinking of it. Thanks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I launch via the terminal on my Mac like this:

java -Xmx2g -jar /Applications/StarMade/SMEdit.jar

sometimes i use 3gig but this is how i up the memory.