Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Click the mods button in the paint bar. Select \"Replace Blocks\". You can then \"globally substitute\" any existing block for a new block type.

At some point I want to update the paint bar with \"palettes\", where you can put together groups of any block type to \"paint\" with.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I accidentally built a large ship facing the wrong direction and since Schema is unwilling to put this feature in the game, I would greatly appreciate it if you would allow me to do this. I am reaching the point of desperation.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    i have a problem, i was making a ship, built it half way, andl like a dumbass forgot to see which way was front, struggled, but found a program, SMEdit, you said it lets you roatae the core.... so i did, worked great, got in it, faced the right way and everything, went to go fly it away from another ship, and it wouldnt move, even with plenty of power and engines, and for some reason, the little diamond cursor telling me where it is, is not on its core, its a few blocks away, and if i spawn a second one, I can shoot the core and it will go boom, but the ship stays, and if i go in the core or either, i can still build on hte entire ship...WTF!? I spent days building this ship! and theres no damn troubleshooting for this! this is the third time i have lost a big awesome ship i was building to this stupid F**king game, and its about ot be my last....can someone freaking help me! :mad:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    As mentioned many times in the forum and the doc, it already does this. Mods -> Rotate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Roatating the core is one of the most widely used features of SMEdit. I think if there was a bug here, there would be a lot of noise about it. Most likely you are doing something wrong.

When you say \"there is no troubleshooting for this\" does that mean you have read the trouble shooting section of the documentation and not found what you were looking for?

If you really believe it is a \"stupid F**king game\" I would respectfully suggest that you cut your losses and find a different way to entertain yourself. Anyone who might have the knowledge to work with you to find out what you are doing wrong is going to be someone who loves the game, and they are likely to to be put off by the terms you use for the game. Perhaps you should try a game that is not in alpha.

I wish you luck in your next endevour.

Vas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ah, there we go. Only it doesn\'t let me remove things, like replace with air. :P Can you add an ability to remove objects all together? Like if I wanted to take block x and remove it completely. :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Good idea. I went for the \"replace with air\" option.

Any other plugins that take a block-type parameter that should also support air?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    How would the \'make decks\' function work? Just lay down horizontal floors every X blocks of vertical space?

Reaction score
    Its a problem for me. It must be a problem with the way blueprints are saved from Starmade because when i imported it, The orientation was far off from the center of the axis. If you need, i can send you a blueprint file as an example.

Vas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I dunno, I don\'t use the plugins very often :P

Reaction score
    Ive noticed an issue when loading larger ships that have been savef multiple times in gane. Whats happening is smedit is loading the ship with the pieces of older versions. So for exapmle i have a ship that has a sort of hammerhead to it. In game ive saved and resaved several times. When i open it in editor it loads my current ship with pieces of the older hammerhead. Things like old framingand such... its happened to several ship and typically on larger ones.

Also, many of my ships hulls dont fully load. This occurs on all sizes of ship. There will be a handful of missing bits. More often then not they are wedges or corners. One block herebone block there. Overall not a game changer but very annoying.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I discovered the back-from-the-dead chunk problem last night. I\'m wrestling with working around Schema\'s file format bug. He\'s got an optimization in there that I hadn\'t spotted having to do with how things are indexed. I discovered that while plumbing the extent of his bug. (It\'s not related to his bug, it\'s my bug. I just managed to noticed it while examinging things.) It only happens when updating ships that have been edited in the game, so no one doing conversion imports would see it.

I\'m in the middle of re-writing a lot of the file read/write code, to work around Schema\'s bug. It\'s adsorbing time, energy, and my will to live. I thought twice about engaging in a project controlled by one person who keeps their code hidden. I should have thought three times about it. I don\'t mind writing feature code. It makes people happy. I don\'t mind wrestling with OpenGL, since that builds up general skills I want to learn. I do mind hacking around someone else\'s bugs with painful backwards engineering. I takes away from time I could be writing features. It doesn\'t build any useful skills. And it would require no work whatsoever if Schema mearly documented his format (which is already stable) or made the code available (either open or under NDA).

I won\'t say I have better things to do. I\'m very clear on my priorities. Kids, famaily, work, stuff like that always comes first. But I do have other things to do. I have novels to write, a friend who set up a new Minecraft server, and other code projects. I\'m about ready to throw the towel in on this one.

Except.

I did make a breakthrough last night. I painfully created a test-case (a 1m x 1m x 1km ship) in game and examined the resulting file. Schema\'s bug is not just a simple integer arithematic error, where each negative superblock ordinate resulted in a superblock edge that was 240 blocks long instead of 256. Silly me, assuming once again, that code is symmetrical. Instead only the -1 ordinate block has an edge that is 240 blocks long. -2 and so forth have edges 256 long. This explains the initial problem of a missing chunk around -128, and, after I fixed that, the subsequent problem of a gap around -384.

I\'ve altered the code to reflect that theory. I didn\'t get all the bugs flushed out before I called it a night last night. I\'ll look into it more tonight. (There\'s a company outing for lunch today, so no lunch time programming.)

The upshot to your question is that the problem you are seeing should have a fix in the next day or two.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Please just try the feature. It\'s pretty self explanatory. I can spend my time working on features, or reading what the UI says to you. Which do you think is better?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, that was a far more constructive bug report than Neonscorpion\'s entitled rant.

Please send on, either here ro to [email protected]

1. Step by step what you did
    2. What actually happened
    3. What you expected to happen
    4. All files necessary to reproduce the problem

I\'m wrestling with the Schema bug right now. But I\'ll move on to that afterwards.

Reaction score
    I know for a fact that a lot, a LOT of people will be happy when you track down, find, and kill that bug with large imports; myself included.

I know where you\'re coming from on hunting down bugs, I\'ve taken C++ and messed with some really basic C++ based game design stuff, it was a lot of fun but tracking down problems was always hard... I cant even begin to imagine what its like to hunt down someone else\'s bug in closed source code.

KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT MAN! we\'re all bettin\' on ya!

and if you stop believing in yourself... THEN BELIEVE IN ME! KINSAI! WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!

ok i\'ll stop with the motivational quotes, but really, I for one really really really appreciate the work you\'re putting in on this.

all the space diamonds for you

Reaction score
    Thank you. And please keep up the pain, er um work!

We can make more donations if needed =]

Thanks again for all you do!

On another note, I dont know why schema does not hook up with you, this is an incredable tool and really adds to his stuff!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I appreciate the kind words. I was just a bit frustrated. That drives this more than donations. (Although my daughter is asking for more Minecraft lego!) Realistically, at the rate my company bills for my time SMEdit is well into the five digits, so monetary renumeration is never going to come close and isn\'t an objective.

But you did hit the nail on the head: getting Schema\'s attention is the real objective. I could blather on about my skill, experience, and stuff like that. But Schema\'s got a hundred people shouting at him saying the same thing and no way to tell the serious from the self inflated. I figured showing my skill through doing something that adds value is more likely to establish credibility than any resume, no matter how long.

And, in the end, what I really want to do is write planet generating plugins for StarMade. But there is no plugin system for StarMade. That\'s fine, if necessary I\'d write a plugin system for StarMade so I can do my plugins. (The SMEdit plugin system is designed so that, when the day comes, it can be migrated to a StarMade plugin system.) But Schema obfusticates the code. So to do that, I need to pursuade Schema that this is a short sighted mistake and does not serve the long term good of StarMade as a product, property or investment.

But Schema just got burned by someone he thought was a well meaning contributer. I don\'t think he is necessarily in a position to easily trust the next person who comes along volunteering to be a well meaning contributer. That makes it more difficult, especially when a lot of the decisions are based on his business plans and intentions for the software.

The problem is that this one-man-show is going to kill both Schema and the product. If he has to do everything, from the code to the architecture to the defect triage to the promotion to the building and release maintenance... he doesn\'t have time left for future planning or business development. And, to be fair, I\'m not saying that making shitloads of money is Schema\'s primary goal, but unless a product is commercially viable, its future is limited to the time when Schema wakes up and decides he\'s done with spening ten hours days on it.

So, on the balance of things, there could be several reasons why Schema has not hooked up with me. I hope at some point he does. I do think this game is ready to transition from indie-programmer mode into actual product dvelopment. Additional structure of the right sort will turbo-charge its progress rather than retard it. I\'ve got a day-job otherwise I\'d be angling to sign on to the team. But it is something I\'d like to see happen and if I can help make it happen, I\'d like to.

In the shorter term, my new code can read/write a 1500m long ship with the Gettysburg Address written down the side. It renders correctly in StarMade. I left it running over lunch and it was able to import and save the Galactica. I haven\'t been able to do a flyby as my Mac at work take a long time to load. But I\'ve pushed it up to the server.

This is a big change. Please test. But please back up any critical files first. I am hoping that it fixes the extraneous chunk problem and the big-ship-gap problem.

Reaction score
    Awesome, I am glad to hear. I will test this to night when I get in. I dont think I will have time to remote in and test this out, as my workstation here cannot handle this stuff.

I will test the OBJ import too just for fun on the other BSG files.

I am still working on the mapping of the blocks from MC to SM... so even if this is primetime, I will not be releasing a usable version ofthe BS75 MC version at 1426M LOL.

Reaction score
    The schematic import of the 1426M BSG75 is perfect! And very Very Big, compared to anyting else in SM LOL

http://mm-clan.com/pics/starmade-screenshot-0032.png