Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I only put it on StarMade Universe as a courtesy to the owner. He\'s the one who went and changed the link on the wiki page to point there instead of ocean-of-storms. I was a little annoyed, but figured it was the \"tax\" for hosting the SMEdit documentation on his wiki.

Windows is a pig. What\'s worse is it hides how much memory it uses. Ever run excel? It claims to only use 125K of memory, even when you have a several megabyte spreadsheet loaded. It\'s the crap you get when the company who owns the O/S owns the apps. But I\'m an old 1-2-3 guy and I\'m digressing into bitterness.

Anyway, the \"half your memory\" is a bit misleading. Windows itself takes a big chunk. But the rest is hard to measure. There\'s this thing called \"virtual memory\" where a program \"thinks\" is has a whole bunch of memory. But what\'s going on is that only some of it is loaded into physical memory. The rest is on the disk in something called a \'swap partition\'. When your program asks for it, it\'s loaded off of disk into physical memory. So just looking at the amount of physical memory free can be misleading. It could just be what\'s loaded in memoy of the virtual stuff. Or what\'s still swapped in that hasn\'t been swapped out yet. The 50% is more likely due to whatever algorithm Windows uses to decide when to swap things in or out.

This is why it always ends up being trial and error to work out what the best settings are.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Some feature requests, bug fixes, and clean up

• Paint image on hull. New feature. You can select a region of a ship, and \"paint\" a design on it from an image file. Look here for the Damoclese styled with a Wonder Woman logo.
    • Documentation button added to the About Box that takes you to the SMEdit page on the wiki
    • Symmetrical painting. New feaure. Check boxes on the paint panel let you choose which axis for symmetry. As you paint the hull, coresponding hull blocks are also painted.
    • Planetary Vegetation. New feature. In the continuing improvements for planetary generation, there are now some options for plonking down vegetation. As usual, the defaults are pretty crappy. But they are data driven and I\'ve put info on the wiki on how to replace them with ones of your own. If someone comes up with a good set, I\'ll make them the default.
    • Planetary Composition. I\'ve added the doc for how to override the crappy defaults to the wiki.
    • Save As Blueprint. Bugfix. Addressed refirendum\'s bug about it losing track of what type of object is loaded after a Save As Blueprint.

Reaction score
    I just want to say thank you again. A simple ship viewer has turned into such an incredible tool for a game that is still in Alpha, Thanks to you Jo.

You are the man!

If this were minecraft, diamonds to you tones of them!

Reaction score
    ran SMEdit with java -Xmx2000m -jar SMEdit.jar and it ran properly and showed that memory had been allocated accordingly, however when i tried to import the galactica the import loading bar popped up for a split second and disappeared with no effect...

also i cant seem to find the field for cobblestone wall in the default list, adding it as

doesnt seem to do anything, am i on the right trail?

and the same goes for tilled dirt

Reaction score
    I still am getting this after updating SMEdit...

Local: Thu Sep 26 15:03:15 EDT 2013
    Remote: Thu Sep 26 15:03:15 EDT 2013
    Delta: 375
    java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at jo.sm.edit.SMEdit.runSMEdit(SMEdit.java:91)
    at jo.sm.edit.SMEdit.run(SMEdit.java:54)
    at jo.sm.edit.SMEdit.main(SMEdit.java:357)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at jo.sm.ui.EditPanel.newButton(EditPanel.java:156)
    at jo.sm.ui.EditPanel.(EditPanel.java:65)
    at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.(RenderFrame.java:92)
    at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.main(RenderFrame.java:200)
    ... 7 more

Am I missing something?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If there was a crash, it will print the message on the console.

As for your table, mcData is only used for secondary data, like the color of wool. A list of valid values is in this table here.

mcBlock is the block ID. This can either be text description (Cobblestone Wall) or a numeric value (139). Valid values are in this table here.

So, for the above, this would probably work:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It can\'t find the main file in jo_sm.jar. Either that downloaded incorrectly, or it is looking for it in the wrong place. Validate the correct StarMade directory is set in .jo_sm by following the instructions on the wiki here.

If it is, try deleting the jo_sm.date file from that directory and run SMEdit.jar again.

Reaction score
    Had to delete that .josm file to get it to work.

I do have a Request, could you add Standard Views to SMEdit? Top, Bottom, Front, Back, Left, Right... That would help me with my project since Rotation is so Laggy with my craft.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There is an option to export those views to image files on disk.

I could add a mode that draws them that wasy on the screen, but it will be just as laggy. So that\'s not going to help you. I could put in something that snaps the view to one of the axis. That would minimize the rotaions you have to do.

The OpenGL stuff is less laggy, but it isn\'t fully funcitonal yet. You can try what is there by putting a -opengl on the command line.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Incidentally, folk who use Minecraft schematics then convert them to 3d voxel models then starmade ship saves, there is a mod that lets you select a box around built structures in Minecraft, called Schematica, which lets you save buildings as .schematic files, and even move them around in Minecraft as ghostly images that auto-build if you have the materials in your inventory. People might want to use that if you\'re designing your ships and want to quickly and easily save it as a schematic, as well as giving Minecraft copy and paste features. Just something useful people might want to use in joint with this.

Vas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    On an interesting unrelated note to the topic, the reason I will never use Windows 8:

http://www.howtogeek.com/145984/why-i-still-use-windows-7-after-a-year-of-trying-to-like-windows-8/

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I dread getting a new PC because it will come with Windows 8. I think it might be something my kids would like, but a touch-monitor costs three times as much as a non-touch monitor. And without a touch-monitor, it would be a pain.

Meanwhile, at work, the IT department is sending me angry notes telling me to get rid of my \"clunker\" XP machine!

Reaction score
    HI,

Just wanted to let you know that I can import the full 1426M BSG75, the same file I sent you. It looks great, but the save is messed up (blueprint) and when reloaded back in to SMEdit, it is not right either.

Just an FYI. I get no errors.

Could it be the file names?

Reading BSG_1426
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.-1.smd2 - (-1, 0, -1)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.-2.smd2 - (-1, 0, -2)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.-3.smd2 - (-1, 0, -3)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.0.smd2 - (-1, 0, 0)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.1.smd2 - (-1, 0, 1)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.10.smd2 - (-1, 0, 10)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.11.smd2 - (-1, 0, 11)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.12.smd2 - (-1, 0, 12)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.13.smd2 - (-1, 0, 13)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.14.smd2 - (-1, 0, 14)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.15.smd2 - (-1, 0, 15)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.16.smd2 - (-1, 0, 16)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.2.smd2 - (-1, 0, 2)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.3.smd2 - (-1, 0, 3)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.4.smd2 - (-1, 0, 4)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.5.smd2 - (-1, 0, 5)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.6.smd2 - (-1, 0, 6)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.7.smd2 - (-1, 0, 7)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.8.smd2 - (-1, 0, 8)
    Reading from BSG_1426.-1.0.9.smd2 - (-1, 0, 9)
    Reading from BSG_1426.0.0.-1.smd2 - (0, 0, -1)
    Reading from BSG_1426.0.0.-2.smd2 - (0, 0, -2)
    Reading from BSG_1426.0.0.-3.smd2 - (0, 0, -3)
    Reading from BSG_1426.0.0.0.smd2 - (0, 0, 0)
    Reading from BSG_1426.0.0.1.smd2 - (0, 0, 1)
    Reading from BSG_1426.0.0.2.smd2 - (0, 0, 2)
    Reading from BSG_1426.0.0.3.smd2 - (0, 0, 3)
    Reading from BSG_1426.1.0.-1.smd2 - (1, 0, -1)
    Reading from BSG_1426.1.0.-2.smd2 - (1, 0, -2)
    Reading from BSG_1426.1.0.-3.smd2 - (1, 0, -3)
    Reading from BSG_1426.1.0.0.smd2 - (1, 0, 0)
    Reading from BSG_1426.1.0.1.smd2 - (1, 0, 1)
    Reading from BSG_1426.1.0.2.smd2 - (1, 0, 2)

Reaction score
    Hi,

Also I did a test with the -fit option to decrease the size of the \'box\' so the import was not 1024x1024x1024 it was 129x1024x384 and it did not like that at all.

Converting 129x1024x384
    Exception in thread \"Import/Binvox\" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 38
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.BinvoxLogic.setVoxel(BinvoxLogic.java:312)
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.BinvoxLogic.readNextSlice(BinvoxLogic.java:259
    )
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.BinvoxLogic.getVoxel(BinvoxLogic.java:333)
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportBinvoxPlugin.mapHull(ImportBinvoxPlugin.
    java:107)
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportBinvoxPlugin.modify(ImportBinvoxPlugin.j
    ava:71)
    at jo.sm.ui.act.plugin.BlocksPluginAction$1.run(BlocksPluginAction.java:
    56)
    at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:14)

Reaction score
    no crashes, no messages... just the split second popup of the loading window

but in case it helps heres what is in the console

Code:
    X:\\Users\\Administrator\\Desktop>java -jar -Xmx2000m SMEdit.jar
    Local: Thu Sep 26 15:03:01 CDT 2013
    Remote: Thu Sep 26 15:03:01 CDT 2013
    Delta: 195
    Reading Isanth-VI
    Reading from Isanth-VI.0.0.0.smd2 - (0, 0, 0)
    jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.nbt.FormatException: Root tag was not a Compound tag; tag
     ID was 80
            at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.nbt.IO.ReadUncompressed(IO.java:72)
            at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportSchematicPlugin.readFile(ImportSchematic
    Plugin.java:111)
            at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportSchematicPlugin.modify(ImportSchematicPl
    ugin.java:89)
    56)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    SMEdit loads, by default, the ISanth-VI upon startup. Just so you have something to look at and all the menus are enabled. The message is saying it\'s finding a format error in your Isanth-IV. Either it\'s a new one with some unknown tag in it, or else the file has been corrupted.

Try deleting/moving your Isanth-IV blueprint and running again. I\'ll do an update later for the system to gracefully degrade when you have a corrupt Isanth-IV blueprint.

Reaction score
    oh... error messages in the cmd, lol

the isanth is the default ship at startup for me, that loads fine it seems, the rest of that text only pops up when i try to open the galactica schematic that i made in MCEdit...

IE: i started it up again and it loaded the issanth fine, and another really small ship is fine

the error spam doesnt show up until i try the import of the galactica (I wonder if MCEdit is saving the schematic properly because its so big)

(also is there a way to import a ship into a blank editor window? or automatically move the core to the center of the project/ship?)

Code:
    X:\\Users\\Administrator\\Desktop>java -jar -Xmx1g SMEdit.jar
    Local: Thu Sep 26 15:03:57 CDT 2013
    Remote: Thu Sep 26 15:03:57 CDT 2013
    Delta: 160
    Reading Isanth-VI
    Reading from Isanth-VI.0.0.0.smd2 - (0, 0, 0)
    Reading ENTITY_SHIP_derp
    Reading from ENTITY_SHIP_derp.0.0.0.smd2 - (0, 0, 0)
    jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.nbt.FormatException: Root tag was not a Compound tag; tag
     ID was 80
            at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.nbt.IO.ReadUncompressed(IO.java:72)
            at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportSchematicPlugin.readFile(ImportSchematic
    Plugin.java:111)
            at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportSchematicPlugin.modify(ImportSchematicPl
    ugin.java:89)
    56)

Vas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Windows 7 is flawless, it\'s perfect in nearly every possible way. You should use it instead.

Also, I tried SMEdit, it doesn\'t let me edit the planet the way I want. The only thing yo ucan do is change hull colors and a planet\'s shape or surface type. It\'s also extremely laggy. Isn\'t it possible to make an editor much like MCEdit for Minecraft? Where they load the map like a normal map would load, showing all the chunks and all the blocks in a simple manner until yo uget close and then it gets more colorful and detailed (unless you have it set in the settings not to do that)? This would allow you to do advanced edits on your stuff by selecting single blocks and changing them and such. If you have ever used MCEdit, you\'d know what I mean.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    RIght now SMEdit shows you a \"crystal ball\" view. The ship is in front of you like it was embedded in glass. As you move or spin it, you still have this outside-in perspective. Since your viewpoint is always from away, there is no concept of \"the closest part\". So there is no way to implement view radius like optimization.

I\'m working on an embedded point-of-view approach. You can see the progress by putting a \"-opengl\" on the command line. It\'s slower to load a ship, but a lot less laggy when a ship is loaded. Also, you have a specific viewpoint, and move it around the same as in StarMade. Once that is working, I can implement view radius optimization.

The big headache right now is working out how to do the calcualtion when you click on the screen, to which area of the 3D world you are clicking on. Once that nut is cracked, I\'ll make more rapid progress and will then swtich the interface so the OpenGL one is the default.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry, I was misreading the messages. It\'s saying that the schematic file is not in an expected format. The NBT reading code I have is from a while back, so maybe there is something new in the schematic format it doesn\'t understand. Can you post your schematic file somewhere for me to download?

You can use Modify -> Move to move the core wherever you want.