Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    I tried to load a ship and got a wierd exception in the command console window. I think it doesn\'t like the ship very much.

Reading Vorcha
    java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: \"zAdd\"
    at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)
    at jo.sm.ship.logic.DataLogic.readDataFromEntityFile(DataLogic.java:67)
    at jo.sm.ship.logic.DataLogic.readFiles(DataLogic.java:56)
    at jo.sm.logic.BlueprintLogic.readBlueprint(BlueprintLogic.java:96)
    at jo.sm.logic.BlueprintLogic.readBlueprint(BlueprintLogic.java:74)
    at jo.sm.ui.logic.ShipTreeLogic.loadShip(ShipTreeLogic.java:130)
    at jo.sm.ui.act.file.OpenExistingAction$1.run(OpenExistingAction.java:40
    )
    at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:14)

So then I tried to load it from its exported sment file and got this.

Exception in thread \"AWT-EventQueue-0\" java.lang.NumberFormatException: For inpu
    t string: \"zAdd\"
    at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(Unknown Source)
    at jo.sm.ui.act.file.OpenFileAction.actionPerformed(OpenFileAction.java:
    104)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown
    Source)
    at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Sour
    ce)
    ce)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    ce)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks for the call stack. That helps a lot. The original file would have been perfect, but I think I can see what is going on. I\'d hazard a guess that your ship has a \".\" in it\'s name? I parse the file name to work out the super chunk coordinates from the file name and it uses \".\" as a delimiter. So I suspect you have a \".zAdd\" at the end of the name.

If you change the name, that should fix the problem. But I\'ll also look at patching the code to avoid that.

Reaction score
    Actually I don\'t have a . or a .zAdd in the name. I loaded the ship\'s blueprint after the initial SMEdit work, tinkered with it in-game, saved it under the name Vorcha (after deleting the original blueprint) and then tried to re-load it into SMEdit. That\'s when this happened.

Reaction score
    And sent. Sorry it took so long. I\'ve been recording some footage with Mushroom Fleet and got caught up in singleplayer. didn\'t refresh the thread until now. But there\'s the files in your email.

Reaction score
    Not sure if you just changed something or what, but since updating a few minutes ago I get:

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at jo.sm.edit.SMEdit.runSMEdit(SMEdit.java:61)
    at jo.sm.edit.SMEdit.run(SMEdit.java:48)
    at jo.sm.edit.SMEdit.main(SMEdit.java:229)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at jo.sm.ui.EditPanel.newButton(EditPanel.java:142)
    at jo.sm.ui.EditPanel.(EditPanel.java:60)
    at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.(RenderFrame.java:92)
    at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.main(RenderFrame.java:200)
    ... 7 more

from SMEdit.jar... Dunno what is up...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like this a lot. Gives a bit of flexibility for ship design, with recolouring the hull and moving the core to a better position for a more roleplaying-y design (I always like to have my cores in the engine maintanence room, but for simplicity\'s sake I usually end up having them be in the bridge because scrambletobuildshipbeforedeath) and have a snazzy paint scheme.

I will be using this until such a time which it no longer works, then I will be sad.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve been listening to the podcast version of your book for a bit and I concur that it is good, in case people are debating as to whether to check it out.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Crap, people evolved and now making true Borg cubes, not the wimpy straight planes cubes xD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks. Yup. There was a .zAdd in the name throwing it off. For some reason StarMade occasionally decides to use a completely different file name to your ship name. If you look in the Vorcha/DATA directory, the files are not named Vorcha.0.0.0.smd2, etc, like would make sense. They are named ADriQoyffRPFC.zAdd.0.0.0.smd2. Go figure.

Anyway, my fix should work. But I\'m having trouble with GIT. My work and home sources are out of sync and I cannot, for love or money, get GIT to merge them into something sensible. I apologize, and will sort it out one way or another tonight.

For now, you can go into the Vorcha/DATA directory and just rename all the files to Vorcha.#.#.#.smd2. StarMade doesn\'t care what they are named and it will work around the bug in SMEdit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry for the lack up updates. My GIT workplaces got out of sync and I could not merge them for love or money. I eventually had to blow one away and re-apply the changes. What a pain. Things done:

• The . in filename problem should be fixed.
    • I did a small optimization in the amount of memory used. I\'m playing with planets and it helps with 9 million blocks to save all you can!
    • OBJ export should be a lot better. I seem to be doing everything right. But I\'ll be damned if I can get Blender to load it with the textures in place. However, I can\'t get Blender to apply textures at all, so what do I know?
    • In frustration, I started writing a DAE exporter. It\'s there, but it needs more work.
    • My current strategy for planets is to divide the plugins into a few cateogries: Shape, Composition, Vegetation, and Buildings. The idea being with engough varity you can mix and match them to create many unique biomes. Eventually these will be usable straight with StarMade. I wrote a couple of basic shapes for starters. Ideas (and contributers) welcome.

Reaction score
    I spent a good part of the evening digging around this thread to find the latest version of SMEdit and I ~think~ I have it and it self updated and i can import a crazy ship of mine. Anyway! I am wondering how one would go about modifying the block conversion rules? if they exist at this point in development since I havent seen anybody mention that yet here...

IE: the ship i am importing has trees, grass, glass, and glowstone, while most of the hull/frame is iron. A straight up import converts it all to grey hull which makes features hard to make out.

I could be nuts... and i probably am xD

i\'m also hoping to use this tool to SOMEDAY, keyword SOMEDAY import THIS into starmade :D but that is very pipe dream for now as im still getting the hang of importing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I just downloaded and installed this, and when I run the program it says: \"Enter the home directory for Starmade\" and then \"C:\\Windows\\system32\" is already filled in.

This probably makes me sound like a total noob, but what does this mean and what am I supposed to do?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    http://i.imgur.com/PwI5VlR.jpg

Sadly, engine cant handle this size of spaceship

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    a lot of blueprints are bugged ( on server where you build it is all ok, not on singleplayer..) Perhaps you can help schema to find the bug.

When a blueprint is ok, i can open it with open. When the blueprint is broken i must use Open file and must open the smd2.

With Open file i can see the ship, base what ever. With Open its all black.

So where is the difference between open and open file ?

Perhaps that can help schema to find the blueprintbug.

Reaction score
    Hi,

Which schmatic did you use, the last one I have I still git zip errors?

When you launch the \'launcher\' on the connection setup screen set it to advanced from the settings pull down menu at the top. then set view distance to max and \'max segments\' to max You should see alot more of the ship.

I had to do that to get screens of the BSG hull that I was working with from the 3d model.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m sorry you spent so much time. It\'s really quite simple. The best place to go is the wiki.

I\'ll take it as a todo to update the links on the top of this thread and to put in a button in the tool to take you to the wiki.

The block mapper is documented on the wiki. 5 million blocks? That should be fine. I was editing a planet yesterday with 11 million blocks. The display won\'t be that responsive, but it should be able to convert and save.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve found another bug in the file format. But since it is symmetric, Schema either already knows about it or doesn\'t care. If you point at or e-mail ([email protected]) a copy of the blueprint that doesn\'t work, I\'ll take a look. I\'m kind of under the impression that Schema isn\'t interested in code reviews.

So, \"Open Blueprint\" reads in the blueprint meta-data, and all the superchunks making up the ship. \"Open File\" just reads in a single superchunk. If you look on disk, in the blueprint directory there is a directory for each blueprint. There are several files in there. That\'s the metadata. Under there there\'s a DATA directory. In that are the superchunks.

A superchunk is, basically a 256x256x256 section of your ship. If your ship is smaller than that, it will (usually) fit in a single superchunk. (A superchunk itself is made up of 16x16x16 chunks.) In that case there isn\'t much difference between \"Open Blueprint\" and \"Open File\".

So, if there is something going wrong, it may be in the metadata. At least that\'s where I\'d start looking.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Kids these days and their filesystem questions. :) It means what it says, you have to type in the home directory for StarMade. The problem, I think, is you don\'t know what a directory is or how your file system works. But it\'s not an uncommon problem. This comes up all the time and I\'m struggling with how to put in a message that explains it to a generation of users that don\'t ever actually look at their disk.

You might look at the video linked from the wiwi on installing. I think Mushroom Fleet does a better job of explaining than I can. Basically when you run the star made launcher, it creates a StarMade directory as a child of its current location. That\'s the directory you need to supply to SMEdit. Even better, if you put SMEdit.jar into that directory, it will work it out itself.

I suspect, however, that you just click download and don\'t pay any mind to where on your disk it puts the file. That makes it more challenging to guide you in moving files around.

So how do you launch StarMade? Do you click on it from File Explorer? If so, you can right click on it and select Properties. The \"Location\" field is the location of the launcher. That, plus \"\\StarMade\" is the location for the StarMade home directory. (Mac is the same in concept, but differnet in what you click.) Try that in SMEdit.

Reaction score
    the map was right in front of me XD I went to the wiki a few times, the download link there is broken btw... but you probably already knew that XD;

and 11million?!

kahulbane, this is the schematic I created using MCEdit (hopefully that link works)

I think my main issue with this here is figuring out how to allocate more memory to SMEdit, I read the bit on the wiki about starting SMEdit with command line but im not positive on invocation syntax.

oh wait yes i am DERP

one would use
    java -Xmx=10g -jar SMEdit.jar

right? >.>; (I have 16g otherwise 10 would be suicide)