Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I downloaded world save from planetminecraft, then used MC edit to make .schematic. It worked, but front part of the ship is broken.

I took pic with 50 distance and 5000 segments, which should be max. I believe 1,5x bigger ship has almost 3 times big volume so that might be the issue.

Reaction score
    I did the same with MC edit, and used the last one you posted here, but I still get the Zip error. I was just checking to see if you exported another copy or something.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'d stick with \"java -Xmx=10g -jar SMEdit.jar\"

1. Better to run SMEdit.jar rather than jo_sm.jar. SMEdit.jar will check for updates and download them. That means you have the latest bug fixes. Since I update frequently, it will save hassle.
    2. You don\'t need to set -Xms explicitly. You may not need the memory and this will take it up right away. Better to let the program grow into it.

Last comment: just because your system has 16G doesn\'t mean that there is 16G of ram available for that specific program. The operating system swallows a lot, and the other running programs will take their share. But it will give you an error quick enough if it\'s not there. Just don\'t be confused if it happens.

Reaction score
    and thanks for the tidbit in the wiki about extracting the default conversion map, that was a HUGE help, here I was trying to build one from scratch XD;

for now i\'m going to keep it simple and play around with the conversion map for my old builds before i move onto a gigantic build that needs a custom ram allocation...

also in terms of memory what do you find decent for an 11 million block planet? 1-5g?

10gig was more of an example than actual practice xD;

edit:

THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER! HOLY CRAP!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think I had 1G allocated for my planet playing last night. If you do Edit -> Report you will get a dump of how many blocks are in the current object and what types they are. That might help you work out how the memory usage goes. I\'m not positive it is the same from machine to machine. Also the way Java allocates and deallocates memory adds some uncertainty.

I\'m glad you were able to extract the default XML file. I\'m looking at doing a similar method for Planetary composition and Planetary vegetation generation.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The planet shapes are settling down. I changed them to split the top from bottom. Now all of them can be used for either a top or a bottom. If you give a positive height, it\'s a top. If you give a negative height, it\'s a bottom.

Start work on compositions. I had enough ideas thrown at me that, clearly, there\'s going to be way too much variety to hard-code. Custom blocks makes it even more difficult. So I made it parameterizable. There\'s another XML file you can add to overwrite the defaults. I\'ll document it tonight.

One of the ones I was messing with was a water planet. I haven\'t seen it in-game yet, but it looks interesting...

Reaction score
    I have imported a ship from .bonvox into SMEdit and was successfull. This particular ship is around 750 blocks long (I think) I had to allocate about 3 gigs of memory to be able to import it.

Now I know this is a large ship but all im trying to do is save it as a blueprint nothing more. However when I went to save it the command line keeps repeating something along the lines of this

Index=(-3, -74, -366), origin=(-720, -17760, -87840), lower=(-848, -17888, -87

968), upper=(-609, -17649, -87729)

Splitting (-3, -74, -366) -> (-848, -17888, -87968) / (-609, -17649, -87729)

Index=(-2, -74, -366), origin=(-480, -17760, -87840), lower=(-608, -17888, -87

968), upper=(-369, -17649, -87729)

Splitting (-2, -74, -366) -> (-608, -17888, -87968) / (-369, -17649, -87729)

Index=(-1, -74, -366), origin=(-240, -17760, -87840), lower=(-368, -17888, -87

968), upper=(-129, -17649, -87729)

Splitting (-1, -74, -366) -> (-368, -17888, -87968) / (-129, -17649, -87729)

Its been like this for a goo 10 minutes.... Is it stuck in a loop or just taking a long time to save?

Reaction score
    I bumped it down to 500 and its doing the same thing

edit the Saving GUI after entering the name is blank excluding the name at the top and the cancel button

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry about that. That was a bug that I had fixed, but it slipped back in when I had my problems with GIT. I\'ve done a patch with the fix applied. Please let SMEdit download the update and it should resolve the problem.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I figured that it was the path to where starmade was, but when I tried putting in the path that I thought it was it didn\'t work.

Turned out I simply had the wrong path...

I thought maybe I had the wrong idea completely, but it is the path and I had the wrong one. Sorry about that, and thanks for the advice :)

Vas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well I can\'t download SMEdit anymore, it requires you to join another forum which I will not do. It may be a memory thing, but I have 8GB of memory in my laptop, though Java can never access all of it without you demanding it to. I don\'t see how it can take 8GB to load a planet of blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You can still get SMEdit.jar from the original location if you have something against the StarMade Multiverse forum.

And, yes, Java won\'t take memory unless you tell it that it can. Otherwise a single stupid program could bring your machine to a standstill. That\'s how it\'s designed. Nothing anyone here can do about it.

Planets can be composed of millions of blocks. So, yes, they do take memory. I\'ve been doing a lof of planet work recently, and it has almost always fit within 1G. Sometimes 2G.

Just because your machine has 8G installed, doesn\'t mean you can give 8G to a single program. The operating system takes a huge chunk, and each other running process takes it due share.

Reaction score
    I found the wiki a little vague. The way I did allocated the memory was simple I opened the command prompt and changed the directory with cd (address to starmade directory)

then java -Xmx=2000M -java SMEdit.jar

now i always seemed to get an error after doing this but if after running that command if i ran SMEdit from the command line by just using java -jar SMEdit.jar then i would have the extra memory

I am by no means an expert but i will try and answer any questions if this is confusing

Vas

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I just don\'t like being required to register for new sites to download stuff. Though this site is very very aweful and terribly designed, it\'s the official site so I stick here for now. I got the file, I\'ll try later to figure out how to give it 3GB of memory allowance. Windows from what I understand always takes half your memory. Cause Windows 7 on my old laptop only took 1GB out of my 2, and now on my new laptop it takes almost 4GB out of my 8GB.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    import/export and a few other buttons go missing after saving as a b lueprint... can this be fixed possibly?