Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That\'s a really big model. I would have expected it to run out of memory, but that doesn\'t seem to be the problem. Can you point me at the .schematic file so I can try to reproduce it?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    http://www.filedropper.com/bsg_1

btw, as you speak about memory... peak memory usage was about 5,8 gigabytes.

Reaction score
    Hi,

This is the error I get with his file and with my own export.

java.util.zip.ZipException: Not in GZIP format
    at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.readHeader(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.(Unknown Source)
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.nbt.IO.Read(IO.java:52)
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportSchematicPlugin.readFile(Im
    Plugin.java:102)
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportSchematicPlugin.modify(Impo
    ugin.java:89)
    at jo.sm.ui.act.plugin.BlocksPluginAction$1.run(BlocksPlugi
    56)
    at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:14)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I managed to replicate your errors. (Anything I can replicate, I can fix!) Turns out it\'s in uncompressed format, and I only support compressed format. So I did a quick update and now support either.

I can read the file in, but I had to pump my memory up to 2Gig. It\'s pretty big.

Some of the colors come through, but not many. The Minecraft ID -> StarMade ID map file I\'m using is pretty stupid. At lunchtime I will post on the wiki the file format so that someone can make a better mapping file. It will be pretty cool to import Minecraft stuff with reasonable fidelity. Especially for planets. Right now they aren\'t very interesting.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    .schematic file was made by MCedit. And i just realised how i messed up my report. Import into SMedit was fine. This error appeared when saving into blueprint, just before completion. Blueprint worked, but frontal part is missing.

Reaction score
    Gotta say I\'m loving this. Though certainly with really large models I have to bump up the memory (but it won\'t let me give it more than 1152MB because I\'m running a 32bit OS and attempting to allocate 2 GB makes it spit out stack heap unallocatable errors) before I set to work.

But here\'s an interesting question. Are we able yet to convert a really really large ship into a station, create an empty sector (no planets, space rocks, or default stations) and park it in that sector?

Reaction score
    HI,

Import schematic missing from my menus, I did a manual download just to be sure.

Reaction score
    I get the opposite, my MCEdit only does the front, and nothing else, errors out on some block, But I cannot test your schematic as my tool has not that entry now on the menu. doh

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think it\'s hitting some more superchunk weirdness. I was messing with it today, but I\'m not sure if I fixed it or made things worse. I\'ve got to do more testing before I\'m confident in releasing it.

On the plus side, I have documented on the wiki the file format for both the view filter (MichaelSeph!) and for the Minecraft to StarMade mapper. The default ones are kind of lame, so I\'m hoping you guys come up with some better ones. I can bake them into the game then.

Reaction score
    After importing my ship model from SMedit into blender, i discovered there was a ton of double vertices. The model went from 30,000 vertices to 2,000 just by removing them, and it made the model more pretty.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I output each cube as individual fascets with unique verticies. I believe I have to do that for the textures to match up. Blender can probably represent things in a more intelligent way internally.

Out of curiosity, if you export it again from Blender as an OBJ, does it pump the verticies back up? If not, I\'m curious what it does.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I worked out how to compress 3D to 1D and added the last matrix improvement. You should see a small performance increase for most things.

Also added a Ombré paint style. Kind of silly. But someone might find something inventive to do with it.

Reaction score
    I did a quick export with blender, then imported again and the vertices stayed the same.

And might i ask, how are the textures mapped to the model? because the only way i found to add them to the model is by using the textures and creating a UV map.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Are you seeing textures? The UV map is there, and the images is also output. I\'m not sure the two are connected up right. The OBJ format is not very specific about how to bind a specific texture to an object.

So the way it works is this.

First I calculate all of the different block types in the model. That gives me the total number of tiles I need in the model. Most of these systems only work with rectangular images to powers of two. So I target a 1024x1024 image. In order to get the highest resolution the tiles are drawn onto it as large as possible. I take the square root of the number of blocks to get the number of tiles per edge. (And some rounding to make sure they are all even.) The, the pixel size / 1024 is the floating point number in UV terms.

So, when I emit a face, I emit the four verticies of that face. Each vertex needs to be tied to a UV point on the image. I just need to work out where that tile ended up and set the UV ordinates appropriately. This is why I output so many duplicate verticies. Since the UV mapping is different depending on if it is the left edge, right edge, etc, they have to be separate.

If you can collapse them in Blender, I think you are probably not seeing the textures. Try importing it to Blender and not optimizing. Is there a function then in Blender where you can wrap an image around a model? If so, use the image that was exported the same time the obj file was. If that looks right, re-export the OBJ file and send it to me. I can then find out the OBJ langauge for telling it what texture to use.

Reaction score
    Hi,

The obj of the BSG has textures on it. I had it do them in JPG. As if I recall, binvox could not read the png files. I just verified this, so the last one I sent you has the bulk heads and textures.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just started trying to work with 3ds max, mainly because many models are made in it and i need convert them to .obj.

However, obj from 3ds are messed up. What am I doing wrong? :/

edit: Ah, probably specific model issue...

Anyaway... Resistance is futile :D

http://i.imgur.com/JceVDUW.jpg

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m talking about OBJ export. That should have textures associated with it. I don\'t honor colors upon import. But I have thought about it! It is technically possible. But first I would have to improve the quality of my OBJ import.

Reaction score
    Okay, i found a UV map, but it was extremely small and wouldn\'t scale up... here have a picture of it. http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/shasoos/media/Untitled_zpsb98c4d07.png.html

Reaction score
    EDIT: It seems I was still using yesterday\'s edition, it works properly now :)

I\'ve been trying to import a covenant assault carrier using this excellent tool, but when I try to fill it up with blocks, I get a lot of blocks in the areas outside of hull, that have hull on either side (i.e. infront of and behind) but are open to space on other sides. Could you adjust it to only have fill put blocks in the inside of the ship?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Did some updates. Some of which, collectively, will help editing very large ships.

1. Fixed when duplicated/pasted blocks came in damaged
    2. Put in a \"don\'t draw\" toggle. A lot of the time the rendering of the ship on the screen slows things down and uses a lot of memory. This lets you turn off the display. You can still import, fill, hollow and everything else. You just don\'t see it.
    3. Added \"View Selection\". This means it only draws the bit selected. Someone wanted a \"slice\" ability. This lets you select the \"slice\" you want to see with the selection.
    4. Added \"Select Specific\". You can set the # coordinates for your selection.