Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    OK. First pass exporting OBJ files done. I haven\'t really got something that can read them, so it\'s hard for me to test. I was able to read the one I wrote back in, so I think the syntax is correct.

No textures for now. But I think I know how to do that. I want to first confirm the format is right.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ha ha. You are very kind. I\'d be making a lot more progress if I didn\'t have to fight the damn obfustication in the code. But I\'m glat what is there is useful to you!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m having trouble replicating with test object. I created a 1000m long needle, but was able to save and view it fine. Can you post your binvox file somewhere? I can try testing with that.

In other news I\'ve got the basics of the OpenGL renderer working. But the jury is out at to if it is any better. You can try it out by putting -opengl on the command line. I like the evolving camera movement for it, but it\'s kind of jerky and imprecise right now.

Reaction score
    Yes you are Awesome!!

Sorry to dig up an existing issue, but I was looking at the BSG and it seems to be compressing the right side.

See below.

I will try some other formats to binvox and see.

Reaction score
    It does the same thing with the wrl file, but good news is when I reload the same BP into the tool, it is perfect.

I can send all the new files if you like, just let me know or shoot an email. =]

Cheers!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    that if you check, you will find that your ship is 15 blocks too thin. It looks like the same compression problem I was having with the Enterprise.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I would just like to say thank you and outstanding work! :) Also, a question on importing my blender made files: I export my project as an xx.obj And under your menu you have import, the box that opens is a bit obtuse in the file part....what is exactly needed??, as it says file, does that mean filepath to where the .obj is or is it the lines of code thats copied then pasted into the box when editing the .obj with notepad++ ?? or must I place the .obj in a folder where your .jar is then tell it the file path? thank you to any who answer.

Reaction score
    Nvm, i managed to get it working on another computer (not quite sure what\'s happening there). I tried it out and it\'s 99% there, for some reason it\'s exporting the cubes as triangular planes. I opened it through the free ware blender and meshlab.

Reaction score
    I worked out a manual fix by looking at the generated obj files and the obj format. Your export algorithm is missing generating a fort face for each vertex set. I.e:

original obj sample:

v 9.0 9.0 5.0
    v 9.0 9.0 6.0
    v 9.0 8.0 6.0
    v 9.0 8.0 5.0
    f 65 66 67

\"fixed\" obj sample:
    v 9.0 9.0 5.0
    v 9.0 9.0 6.0
    v 9.0 8.0 6.0
    v 9.0 8.0 5.0
    f 65 66 67 68

I have no idea if that\'s the right method but by making that modification to the obj file it rendered everything as solid cubes.

Thanks again for including this feature.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You want to give the full path to the obj file. I need to put in a \"Browse\" button here.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sounds like you don\'t have the JoFileMods.jar.

Check out the instructions at the top of this thread. There are two jar files you need to have.

Or, if you want to beta test, you can just pull down SMEdit.jar, and it should auto-update everything you need. I\'m on the verge of rolling that out as the \"one true method\" of running this. Just need a splash screen.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It\'s actually exporting them as quads. If you look at the \"t\" lines, they have four verticies. I suspect that what\'s going on is your import doesn\'t recognize quads in an OBJ file.

I can look at exporting them as triangles instead. Sounds like that\'s a more common denomenator.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ignore my previous comment. You are probably right. I\'ll see about fixing that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4

\"Mod\" option, either stripes or replace still doesn\'t work for objects larger than 256 in any direction, I tried with both \"Blueprints\" and \"Your Ships\" models. For example Thunderclap

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I just Used Modify -> Hull to create a 500m x 20m x 20m needle. Did (Paint) Mod -> Stripes, used the defaults, and got an expectedly striped ship. Can you post a link to \"Thunderclap\" and give the exact steps you used to reproduce the defect? Or try with the generated hull and see if it works or not?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I failed to initialize one of my structures correctly. >_< Should be fixed now. What priority is export-with-textures? I figure it would help people doing machinima.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think I\'ve updated SMEdit to support custom textures and blocks. I tried a texture pack I found and it seemed to deal with a higher resolution OK. I don\'t have a custom block pack to try out. If someone uses custom blocks, it would be great if you could test this for me.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Tried to use binvox to import few models, but when using models created by my binvox smedit seems to be stuck at 0% or 1%.

Silaz\'s ship model is imported instantly. Any ideas?

edit: Got it, binvox shouldnt run in \"carving method\" whatever it is.