Bug No Collision (Rail) (Over-Time)

Reaction score
    Just something I noticed about something I've been working with. What I was making was an unfolding rotator-based wall. There's about 4 entities chain-docked. Over long periods of time, the "later" entities in the chain will lose collision, as well as my ability to select or interact with its blocks. Pain in the ass when trying to logic. I've also got a previous version of the entity that hasn't disappeared yet after I used /destroy_entity on it. It's also non-collidable.

Completely restarting the game app will fix the issue for a short time.

I'm thinking that this may be the result of my computer's memory or processor simply not being capable of keeping up with all the logic blocks on that plateform, but I was having no such trouble when working on my ship that is just out of the picture.
    I increased the settings to the following when this issue began; didn't change the problem though:
    Maximal Memory (MB): 9000
    Initial Memory(MB): 5000
    Early Generation Memory: 1500

opinions?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Just something I noticed about something I've been working with. What I was making was an unfolding rotator-based wall. There's about 4 entities chain-docked. Over long periods of time, the "later" entities in the chain will lose collision, as well as my ability to select or interact with its blocks. Pain in the ass when trying to logic. I've also got a previous version of the entity that hasn't disappeared yet after I used /destroy_entity on it. It's also non-collidable.

Completely restarting the game app will fix the issue for a short time.

I'm thinking that this may be the result of my computer's memory or processor simply not being capable of keeping up with all the logic blocks on that plateform, but I was having no such trouble when working on my ship that is just out of the picture.
    I increased the settings to the following when this issue began; didn't change the problem though:
    Maximal Memory (MB): 9000
    Initial Memory(MB): 5000
    Early Generation Memory: 1500

opinions?
    Does the wall unfold out of the entity's bounds? If so, that might be the cause.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I've done some searching, but I can't find any control that involves showing any boundary boxes. Could you tell me how to do that?
    Basically, the bounding box is the smallest axis aligned box, which fits all (not-docked) blocks of an entity.
    The easiest way to check if my hypothesis is true would be to build a line of blocks alongside the extended wall, and then check if the collision problem still applies.

Reaction score
    Basically, the bounding box is the smallest axis aligned box, which fits all (not-docked) blocks of an entity.
    The easiest way to check if my hypothesis is true would be to build a line of blocks alongside the extended wall, and then check if the collision problem still applies.
    Well, after a day of playing the collision issue didn't reappear, but before adding the bar to extend the box I tested the collision and it was fine even before. From what I can tell the bar only stopped the extending chain-dockings from having collision issues, which happened over time rather than immediately after exiting the bounding box. Oh well? I still think there is a bug, but I guess my personal issue is well solved as is. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

(Also, is there a way to mark threads as solved, or do we just leave them?)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Ive had this issue docking large ships to each other, as there was a ship with a fallout style airlocks that had two docked entites on a docked ship, which broke collisions and my logical thinking

Reaction score
    Chiming in with a similar issue.

I went and stuck a ship 500 blocks out on the end of a rotating arm on my base.
    After anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, the ship becomes a total non-entity for collision purposes.
    This even applies to build-mode from within the ship-core. (literally nothing is clickable, and should I be so daft as to exit the core, I end up watching the ship fly through me.)

Un-docking the ship is a VERY temporary fix, as the point it was docked to inevitably "catches" this problem. I then have to go and un-dock the rotator arm, stop the logic making it rotate, make whatever edits I was needing to do, and then re-dock it all and fire up the logic again.)

It is likely inded to be a result of the docked entities going out of the host enteties bounding box.
    (the one thing I know it isn't? a Sector Border issue, I'm parked dead center of a 30,000 meter sector, and the whole base isn't bigger than 500 meters)

This has, however, had a few interesting benefits from a combat perspective. The AI pirates inevitably go after the "patrolling" ship, exactly as intended, but they're too stupid to realize their shots are going clear through the "phased" ship, and so said patrol ship slaughters them.
    Even the ones that should have been able to one-shot it. (because their shot phased right on through and dealt 0 damage)

Clearly, this is a bad thing from a proper multi-player perspective, as nearly no-one like fighting invincible phantom ships.
    (in this particular case, they'd have to kill off the base it's all docked to, and the base has a double obscenity of shielding.