Read by Schine New Permission blocks? + Allies permissions

Do permission blocks need to be improved?

• Partly

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Edit 1: Changed a few words below with updated the ideas from comments about making it more compact into one block's menu

Harmless to allies effects

Allies really mean nothing.
    You cant even push/pull them with push/pull beams without making enemies if they leave hostile action on because you will still become enemies. I am suggesting that this should be allowed so that you can easily stop an ally from flying into a sun if needs be without becoming enemies so their turrets shoot you to death.

The menu
    My other suggestion was the permission blocks and my ideas for this were to add a new menu (window thing that opens when you click r when facing the block) in the faction one that can select what rank members. There should also be a tab in the faction permission block that can select certain people to not allow/to allow(from a full user list described more later). This menu will not be on the public permission module because currently seeing it is a obvious indicator that you have access.

Along with this, the faction module should also contain a separate area (maybe a different tab on the same window) for Alliance permissions. This would work like the old faction module but it would allow people in certain alliances to access. In this menu certain factions that your allied with can be chosen (no person setting though because if you want to just choose specific people you could use the faction permission module instead with the menu set to only that one person).

Extra buttons for the menu
    All these menus should have buttons to select all items in the list and deselect all items in the list of factions/players. Each tab (of the 3) will have its own similar list with different items in the list. The list will be three boxes with the middle one having a list of items in and the left being the currently allowed while the right box would be for the currently not allowed. once you select on a item in the list there will be arrow buttons to move it from each column to the other ones (one column for each item). An inverse button will also be useful for this so that all allowed can be not allowed easily. The ranked members tab will have the different ranks in the list (could have a search bar if wanted - it would only have 4 ranks in the list though). The player list will have a list of all users with a search bar. The alliances will have a list of all allies (no enemies or neutrals). (If an ally is removed it should keep them there but not give them access until they are allies again - this will reduce the amount of repairs needed after a accidental declaration of war)

Logic uses
    To be improved even more the permission modules (all types) could also have a on/off setting that can be accessed through logic too. This can allow for more simple lock systems and can make things like public factories be restricted from public when you want to use them.
    (it would be nice if you could c+v link them to stuff you wanted to be restricted access so that they could be more hidden and then multiple linked ones could be on different states (on/off) with different settings while also taking up less adjacent room - old adjacent methods should also work still though because for people with massive ships it would be a pain for them to remake them). The search bar should be in all 3 boxes of all 3 tabs to make it easier to use.

Hopefully these changes will make alliances mean more overall and allow for greater teamwork from different factions.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Why does it need any blocks? Why not expand the faction menus to add all these features?

Reaction score
    oh yea I didn't think of that. For individual people it should still be in public module (because the people may not be in factions). The defaults for these menus should probably stay with the current settings so they don't mess up people's builds.

I suppose it doesn't actually need any new blocks at all just a well made menu.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    oh yea I didn't think of that. For individual people it should still be in public module (because the people may not be in factions). The defaults for these menus should probably stay with the current settings so they don't mess up people's builds.

I suppose it doesn't actually need any new blocks at all just a well made menu.
    Do people who don't belong to a faction actually go faction-less or do they just make their own?

Reaction score
    Do people who don't belong to a faction actually go faction-less or do they just make their own?
    there are always a few that don't make a faction for some strange reason. Also, what would happen if a player left a faction? I'm starting to think that if players were added to the faction permission module it will cause some bad bugs so maybe its better if players were left only on public permission module.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Great ideas. I think we have plenty of permission blocks and if we could instead find a way to integrate them with the current blocks, that would be preferable.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Great ideas. I think we have plenty of permission blocks and if we could instead find a way to integrate them with the current blocks, that would be preferable.
    isnt that what the 1,2,3, and 4 blocks on the texture sheet are? they are designed similar to the faction permission modules and there is 4 ranks before founder so i only assumed that that was going to be the case

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    isnt that what the 1,2,3, and 4 blocks on the texture sheet are? they are designed similar to the faction permission modules and there is 4 ranks before founder so i only assumed that that was going to be the case
    Those are the numbered ones? I think those are outdated. Not even sure if they are used at all right now. Might be place holders when new blocks are added.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Allies really mean nothing.
    You cant even push/pull them with push/pull beams without making enemies if they leave hostile action on because you will still become enemies. I am suggesting that this should be allowed so that you can easily stop an ally from flying into a sun if needs be without becoming enemies so their turrets shoot you to death.
    I would agree with this, since pushing/pulling aren't necessarily hostile in intent.

My other suggestion was the permission blocks and my ideas for this were to add a new menu (window thing that opens when you click r when facing the block) in the faction one that can select what rank members. There should also be a menu in the public permission block that can select certain people to not allow/to allow. This setting of choosing certain people to not allow or to allow should also be available inside the faction permission block menu.
    Why not also allow faction permission blocks to have a userlist, in addition to rank? But yes, having control over ranks is an essential change that needs to happen. Allowing all members or no members to access such things as storage blocks is really limiting and I find it difficult to run a faction without this functionality. This needs to be a high priority to implement, since factions are one of the backbones of the social structure in the game, and they need better support. We are almost there!

A new block should also be added for Alliance permissions. This would work like the old faction module but it would allow people in certain alliances to access. This should also have its own menu so certain factions that your allied with can be chosen (no person setting though because if you want to just choose one person you could use the public permission module with the menu set to only that one person).
    I agree with this.

All these menus should have buttons to select all items in the list and deselect all items in the list of factions/players. Hopefully this will make alliances mean more overall and allow for greater teamwork from different factions.

If these blocks were to be improved even more the permission modules could also have a on/off setting that can be access through logic too. This can allow for more simple lock systems and can make things like public factories be restricted from public when you want to use them.
    I was actually just thinking this about these blocks being turned on and off via logic as I was reading along and was going to suggest it to you! Yep, I agree with this.

A few more ideas which I've seen, but feel should be posted here include:
    - Allow players to connect a permission block to another block, using C on the permission block and V on the block it's intended to control. This would work nicely with the proposed changes here since it would be a lot of micromanagement trying to configure several permission blocks with different names, alliances, ect. If one could be configured and then be used for multiple blocks, this would be great.

- Give personal build area to faction members. This could be tied into faction or public permission blocks. Basically the player could outline an area, then give a certain person permission to build in that space. This would allow private rooms, or perhaps rented area for individuals form alliances or the public.

Well, that's all I have for now. Kudos. :)

Reaction score
    - Give personal build area to faction members. This could be tied into faction or public permission blocks. Basically the player could outline an area, then give a certain person permission to build in that space. This would allow private rooms, or perhaps rented area for individuals form alliances or the public.
    A way to make this work would be shipyard type systems with a core block that can be used to go into build mode there. The modules would work in the same C shape way to select a area. The computer could just link the modules and receive permissions from permission blocks. The difference would be that once you enter the core it would work more like build mode (Seems like you could make a different thread on this).

I'll update the first post with some changes later today. (Edit 1 is done)

Last edited:

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    A way to make this work would be shipyard type systems with a core block that can be used to go into build mode there. The modules would work in the same C shape way to select a area. The computer could just link the modules and receive permissions from permission blocks. The difference would be that once you enter the core it would work more like build mode (Seems like you could make a different thread on this).

I'll update the first post with some changes later today.
    I saw this idea a while back, it wasn't exactly my idea. There may be more than one similar idea on this, but here's one of them. I was thinking the same sort of thing as you for the implementation of it, basically like a shipyard, though there would be no core. Someone would just build or place a build block down and then could build within the boundaries.