Planned Nebulae: Space Clouds of Mystery

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I think that you guys should find a way to input nebulae into the game: Here is how I am imagining it:

Nebula-
    - 3 to 8 sectors in size
    - Stops scanners from working
    - Low visibility (the hexagons from ships and stuff disappears at distances greater then 500m)
    - I am unsure if it will allow stations inside
    - Pirates spawn near cause its easy to catch people passing through off-guard
    - Fog like effect
    - Different types of nebulae
    - Single player mode's spider mob can spawn there and climb on your ship
    - Good place to hide when getting chased in pvp or something

That's all my Ideas for now, but I think this would make it more realistic as well :D

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Dude, you're awesome. This reminds me of Star Trek, how you can always seem to hide in nebulae from sensors...

The only thing that doesn't belong is the spider mobs. Real life nebulae are full of gases...not Janeway's army of cobalt warrior tarantulas.

Reactions: Zero977
    Reaction score
    Well I was watching Star Wars and they had huge whale things that ate gas there, but I was like "only mob in Starmade is a spider :D"

Asvarduil

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well I was watching Star Wars and they had huge whale things that ate gas there, but I was like "only mob in Starmade is a spider :D"
    Space whales...heh.

Actually, that gives me an idea...

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    The only thing that doesn't belong is the spider mobs. Real life nebulae are full of gases...not Janeway's army of cobalt warrior tarantulas.
    No... everyone knows there coffee in that nebula!

Asvarduil

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    No... everyone knows there coffee in that nebula!
    I can see it now:

Parody!Janeway: "Ensign J.G. Kim, take us into the Nebula, I need a double-frappe mochaccina. If I don't get it in 15 minutes, I'll get creative with some spiders and a funnel."

Reactions: Zero977

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Nebulae are definitely planned, it might not be the way you described it (I don't have specifics) but I know for sure that we'll have those aswesome space clouds some day :D

Also, space whales will be a thing, the devs already made a 3D model ;)

Reactions: Asvarduil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Nebular Ideas... In a (admittedly unrealistic, sci-fi style) nebula:
    • DRAG! It should take more energy to accelerate, and you should drift much more quickly to a stop. Depending on the density of the nebula you might even take hull damage from the drag if you try to move too quickly.
    • Shields should deplete from constant molecular impact... at least while moving. Maybe holding still would let shields recharge.
    • Cloaks should be inoperative, or at very least there should be a visual effect while moving as you create a pressure wave/wake in the nebular gasses.
    • Damage beams should have reduced range.
    • Explosive and pulse effects should be increased.
    • Both radiation and mass interference should give unreliable natural radar jamming to everything in the nebula, along with the occasional false radar signature or echo.
    • Gas mining?
    • Hidden worlds? Maybe some proto-worlds which are just lava cores as a hazard to unwary navigators.
    • Hidden (abandoned/haunted/infested/pirate) wrecks and bases.
    • [edit] Transporters should not work or at least have wildly reduced range.

* As a nod to actual realism, all of the above is absurd in our universe. Any gas cloud dense enough to cause these effects would already be actively collapsing into a rogue gas giant or protostar.

Last edited:
    Reactions: HellishEnt

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Oh man! Gas mining on stations in a nebulae that was hard to defend but lucrative!? Especially if the nebula produced the shield materials. Highly contested.

Reactions: Macharius