I have the right mod for you then:

MusicMade, bringing music to StarMade!

Link: http://starmadedock.net/content/musicmade.1522/

Requirements:
    1. Java 7 or higher
    How to install:
    1. Download the MusicMade.jar
    2. Run the MusicMade.jar and follow the instructions
    • You will need to reinstall MusicMade after updating or changing the version of StarMade.
    Currently supported formats(will be extended as fast and soon as possible):
    • .wav
    • .au
    • .ogg
    • (Depending on your setup and version of java more formats might be supported, but they are not guaranteed to be supported everywhere)
    How to add music files to the MusicMade playlist:
    1. Simply place the file in the MusicMade folder before you launch StarMade.
    Supported version of StarMade:
    • All past, present and future versions are supported.
    What does the musicmade.cfg in the StarMade folder configure(will likely be expaned in the future):
    • mainClass
      • the path to StarMade's main class in the installation (do not touch this unless you know exactly what you are doing)
    • useAmbientSounds
      • if set to true MusicMade will automatically append ambient sounds in StarMade's sound resources to the playlist
    • sleep
      • after finishing the playback of a track, MusicMade will wait the specified amount of milliseconds before playing the next track
    • randomSleep
      • if set to true MusicMade will not wait the full amount of time specified by the sleep config, but instead wait for a random amount of time between 0 and the sleep config
    • volume
      • an integer from 0 to 100 specifying the volume in % of the maximum possible volume.
    Please report any bugs you find.
    When reporting a bug, please also show the console output.

Hint:
    MusicMade also works with other java programs ;)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    mp3 is copyrighted as a formate? thats so super lame..... :(

awesome mod idea tho, ill deff be checking it out :)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    mp3 is copyrighted as a formate? thats so super lame..... :(
    Talking about mp3
    It also isn't THAT great of a format. In general there are 3 types of sound formats:
    1. Raw
    2. Lossless
    3. Lossy
    Raw formats are as the name states, after a header containing samplerate and -size (and some other data) the samples are written in the file unmodified. These formats generally have the biggest filesize, but their size only depends on the length of the sound(and samplerate/size, but those are usually 44.1kHz and 16/24/32 bit). Wave (*.wav) is one of them.

Lossless formats use compression, but if one converts a Raw into a Lossless and back, there will not be a single difference between both files.
    Their filesize is much smaller than raw, but also depends on the content of the file, silence can be compressed extremely well compared to white noise. FLAC (*.flac) is one of them. (FYI FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Compression)

Lossy formats not only use compression, but also trade sound quality for size. Due to that they can be EXTREMELY small, but they will always lack quality. This is why lossy formats can have multiple quality standards. But if one turns a Raw to a Lossy and back, there will ALWAYS be a difference between both files(unless the Raw contained only silence). In most cases the used quality setting of Lossy formats s high enough to make it sound the same to the average human, but nobody is average, and with a good enough sound setup many will notice a difference(it may be slight though). Converting sound to/from Lossy formats is discouraged due to the quality loss. Mp3 (*.mp3) is a lossy format.

Last edited:

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    So thats a no?

Need to go get myself a....I already have a converter thanks to Skyrim :p

Reaction score
    Once you start supporting .ogg I'll provide some ogg files of my music concepts for integration into the mod (if you want), because .wav for music is rather impractical : P

Could you add something in the config that allows people to set a certain amount of seconds of pause between the tracks?

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Now all I need is Archer's Unreal Tournement music in ogg format.

Reactions: kikaha
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Added 2 more config option and revealed another previously hidden option:
    • useAmbientSounds
      • if set to true MusicMade will automatically append ambient sounds in StarMade's sound resources to the playlist
    • sleep
      • after finishing the playback of a track, MusicMade will wait the specified amount of milliseconds before playing the next track
    • randomSleep
      • if set to true MusicMade will not wait the full amount of time specified by the sleep config, but instead wait for a random amount of time between 0 and the sleep config

Reaction score
    Added 2 more config option and revealed another previously hidden option:
    • useAmbientSounds
    • sleep
    • randomSleep
    Very cool, works just fine, it just needs a volume option now :p

EDIT: Just noticed that the sleep option doesn't work properly (with randomsleep enabled), I had set it to 2 minutes (120000 ms), but it starts playing immediately after the end of the first track.

Then, it continues to repeat the same track two times, also without the specified gap.

EDIT2: It shows the same behavior with randomsleep off, but this time it also corrupted starmade's sound (lots of garbling/noise and echoing). It starts doing this after the loading screen, and stays like that until you close the game. It did not happen the second time though, so it may just be random.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store

EDIT: Just noticed that the sleep option doesn't work properly (with randomsleep enabled), I had set it to 2 minutes (120000 ms), but it starts playing immediately after the end of the first track.

Then, it continues to repeat the same track two times, also without the specified gap.
    I can assure you, it is completely random. And randomness does not exclude the same event happening over and over(it is just not as likely as different events happening)

Also regarding the timeout being 0 from time to time with randomSleep on, the actual waiting time can be ANY value from 0 to the specified sleep value in milliseconds. This includes many possible sleeptimes shorter than humans can notice.

On another note regarding randomness:
    Apple once changed the RNG(random number generator) used by the shuffle function of iTunes from a completely random to an almost completely not random algorithm, because people were complaining the absolute randomness wasn't random. Since then no more complaints arrived and the less random algorithm is used.

EDIT2: It shows the same behavior with randomsleep off, but this time it also corrupted starmade's sound (lots of garbling/noise and echoing). It starts doing this after the loading screen, and stays like that until you close the game. It did not happen the second time though, so it may just be random.
    That can be caused by StarMade using a different Mixer than MusicMade, so the samples mixed instead of fusing.
    E.g. instead of: sample1=MMsample1+SMsample1 ; sample2=MMsample2+SMsample2 ; …
    it became: sample1=MMsample1 ; sample2=SMsample1 ; sample3=MMsample2 ; sample4=SMsample2 ; …[DOUBLEPOST=1413747056,1413744860][/DOUBLEPOST]

Woops, I made a mistake and uploaded the wrong build :/
    Anyhow, that is fixed now.

Reaction score
    Woops, I made a mistake and uploaded the wrong build :/
    Anyhow, that is fixed now.
    Hahah, that might've been a big part of the problem indeed :)

Gonna try the new one out.

EDIT: You sure you fixed it? The file I just downloaded has exact the same filesize as the one I tried that did not work.

And I tested it again, but the pause is still not working as intended, the random option is off btw, and I've set the waiting time to 120000 ms, but it resumes with the next track within a second.

Last edited:
    Reaction score