Minimade baby-sized server [WILL CLOSE ON SEPTEMBER 30, 2017]

Reaction score
    Had a glorious time harrassing Trident (asteroid murderers!).
    You've probably murdered a lot of asteroids too Cal, don't be stupid. Besides, asteroids are just big chunks of rocks and things, they don't have feelings! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
    You've probably murdered a lot of asteroids too Cal, don't be stupid. Besides, asteroids are just big chunks of rocks and things, they don't have feelings! :ROFLMAO:
    I don't know about what kind of crazy alternate dimension YOU'RE from, but over here rocks FEEL pretty Damn hard! :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Ah yes, i remember when my asteroid base got raided by heartless robot pirates, too.

That useless rock you get off of asteroids makes great cheap building material, though. Ive literally constructed my home base on the server out of carved rock blocks. Its hideous and i love it.

Reaction score
    Anybody having trouble logging in? I've been getting EOFException after my computer froze and I had to hard reset. I tried deleting my client-database folder, but now it seems like my client can't download the custom block config files from the server.

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    Weird, I restarted the server about an hour ago... welp, just restarted it again, I'll read the logs to see if something is wrong.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Weird, I restarted the server about an hour ago... welp, just restarted it again, I'll read the logs to see if something is wrong.
    Starmad servers sometimes do that. Plenty other admins can tell you that they can almost never completely crash or gracefully shut down, mostly they just freeze and can't accept connections while still shown as responsive on the task list.

Olxinos

Reaction score
    Ok there's indeed something very wrong in the logs. Looks like starmade got caught in an infinite recursion loop and ended up causing a stack overflow. Twice.
    [2017-05-05 16:59:35] Exception in thread "ServerController (0)"
    [2017-05-05 16:59:35] java.lang.StackOverflowError
    [2017-05-05 16:59:35] at obfuscated.Ya.a(SourceFile:576)
    [2017-05-05 16:59:35] at obfuscated.XT.a(SourceFile:354)
    [2017-05-05 16:59:35] at obfuscated.XT.a(SourceFile:433)
    [2017-05-05 16:59:35] at org.schema.game.common.controller.SegmentBufferManager.a(SourceFile:340)
    [2017-05-05 16:59:35] at obfuscated.aaB.a(SourceFile:342)
    [2017-05-05 16:59:35] at obfuscated.aaz.a(SourceFile:2905)
    [2017-05-05 16:59:35] at obfuscated.Yr.replaceConnected(SourceFile:2094)
    [2017-05-05 16:59:35] at obfuscated.Yr.handleActivationServer(SourceFile:1864)
    [2017-05-05 16:59:35] at obfuscated.Yr.handleActivationsServer(SourceFile:2124)
    [2017-05-05 16:59:35] at obfuscated.Yr.handleActivationsServer(SourceFile:2131)
    [... x1015]
    [2017-05-05 16:59:35] at obfuscated.Yr.handleActivationsServer(SourceFile:2131)
    [2017-05-05 19:27:04] Exception in thread "ServerController (0)"
    [2017-05-05 19:27:04] java.lang.StackOverflowError
    [2017-05-05 19:27:04] at obfuscated.Ya.a(SourceFile:576)
    [2017-05-05 19:27:04] at obfuscated.XT.a(SourceFile:354)
    [2017-05-05 19:27:04] at obfuscated.XT.a(SourceFile:433)
    [2017-05-05 19:27:04] at org.schema.game.common.controller.SegmentBufferManager.a(SourceFile:340)
    [2017-05-05 19:27:04] at obfuscated.aaB.a(SourceFile:342)
    [2017-05-05 19:27:04] at obfuscated.aaz.a(SourceFile:2905)
    [2017-05-05 19:27:04] at obfuscated.Yr.replaceConnected(SourceFile:2094)
    [2017-05-05 19:27:04] at obfuscated.Yr.handleActivationServer(SourceFile:1864)
    [2017-05-05 19:27:04] at obfuscated.Yr.handleActivationsServer(SourceFile:2124)
    [2017-05-05 19:27:04] at obfuscated.Yr.handleActivationsServer(SourceFile:2131)
    [...x1015]
    [2017-05-05 19:27:04] at obfuscated.Yr.handleActivationsServer(SourceFile:2131)
    Since the same problem happened twice in such a short time frame, it might happen again, I'll investigate.

Edit:
    The problem first happened after a ship used its chain drive and the same ship seemed to trigger exceptions after a server restart (something about things which should have been docked but weren't). I'm not sure it was the cause of this problem, but I've made a copy of the problematic ship (which doesn't seem to cause the exceptions) and quarantined the original ship in the prison sector where it'll be destroyed soon.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I'll own up to the error, sorry guys! I made a faulty chain drive that fired immediately after I undocked from a station, leaving behind the clock entity and some turrets - those were probably the reason that something should have been docked but wasn't. On the new copy of the ship (thanks Olxinos!), I've removed the chain drive so it shouldn't happen again.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There are good chain drives and bad chain drives. I'm personally using one made by alterintel and so far it hasn't failed me or broke any servers. Of course if you want to make sure, Jaaskinal posted one that works purely on logic blocks, no moving docked parts necessary.

Reaction score
    It was a chain drive of my own design, the issue was I let the drives charge and the clock run before I finished the sensors to stop charging just before it's full, and had a faulty logic connection on undock that let a drive missfire. Should've checked the logic better first.

Edit: Next version I'll install a safety switch to prevent firing at all until I'm clear from a station.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    It was a chain drive of my own design, the issue was I let the drives charge and the clock run before I finished the sensors to stop charging just before it's full, and had a faulty logic connection on undock that let a drive missfire. Should've checked the logic better first.

Edit: Next version I'll install a safety switch to prevent firing at all until I'm clear from a station.
    Perhaps you should do that in single player.

Reactions: nightrune

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Olxinos , Might want to work some magic on the faction configs, Makes it impossible to play as its so slow to gain points when you go Negative. Ive been wating a few days now to get my FP back to positive so I can mine my own systems, but it would be much faster if you use a FP command on my faction [KDI RnD] to reset it to 100 FP.

The command is: faction_point_set [FacID] 100 , to reset to 100 points

perhaps make it so that claiming a system costs you more FP per turn, and reduce the normal decay?

Olxinos

Reaction score
    Napther Yup, I've already noticed that problem (ie. be inactive for a few days and when you come back, your FPs are so far in the negative side that it's nearly impossible to get back reasonable values).
    Imo, faction points plummeting when you're inactive is fine (so I'd like to avoid decreasing the normal decay), the real problem is the absence of a lower bound (I said earlier I'd like to write a script to reset the FPs to more reasonable values, I haven't done it yet but I'd like to do it soon).
    48h before being labeled as inactive might also be too low, I'll increase the delay to a week (168h) and see if it helps.

(I've just resetted your FPs to 100)

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Napther Yup, I've already noticed that problem (ie. be inactive for a few days and when you come back, your FPs are so far in the negative side that it's nearly impossible to get back reasonable values).
    Imo, faction points plummeting when you're inactive is fine (so I'd like to avoid decreasing the normal decay), the real problem is the absence of a lower bound (I said earlier I'd like to write a script to reset the FPs to more reasonable values, I haven't done it yet but I'd like to do it soon).
    48h before being labeled as inactive might also be too low, I'll increase the delay to a week (168h) and see if it helps.

(I've just resetted your FPs to 100)
    Ah, thanks. I had just about given up on sitting afk on the server to become positive again, so I was making a drone miner to fit the mass limits of the server.
    Im not too sure the Offline delay will help too much,but definitely a script or some other way to make sure that FP is capped at -35. This makes it so it takes a few hours only to become positive again, and gives a vulnerable window. But yeah, FP and such really needs to be looked at and given some love after the Universe Update

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Chaindrives are tricky things, that's why I didn't even try making one myself, just took a model that was already working, off the Dock. Not to mention that each update that affects logic circuits, jump drives or rails directly or indirectly, may or may not completely break all existing chain drives completely. We all know this when we install them. It's always a bit of a gamble.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    I've been away but I must
    I have enjoyed playing on the server. It has been fun playing around with some of my little fleet mining ships, not that I build on any grand scale anyway, my biggest ship is around 50m long, 20m wide and 15m high and that is my stealth scout. When I next get online I plan to work on getting the materials together to build it.

Next I suppose I'd better start finding somewhere to call home and build a station.

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Server is quiet. I was on last night, and there weren't too many people on.

Beware the pirate ships. Some of the ships are a bit OP.

Also, sectors are pretty huge. It took me a fair bit of time to find a planet to set up shop on.