Minimade baby-sized server [WILL CLOSE ON SEPTEMBER 30, 2017]

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm hopping on there every now and then, but knowing the pirates are extra hard since they aren't bound by the mass limit and they have ships that are about 7x the mass cap, I'd love to have a few extra hands in my faction to go hunting (also to keep those faction points going while I can't play, the flat 20 FP cost per cycle made me lose my home system yesterday)

Reaction score
    I'm hopping on there every now and then, but knowing the pirates are extra hard since they aren't bound by the mass limit and they have ships that are about 7x the mass cap, I'd love to have a few extra hands in my faction to go hunting (also to keep those faction points going while I can't play, the flat 20 FP cost per cycle made me lose my home system yesterday)
    Not sure how well I'll keep the FP cost at bay, but next time you catch me online (Otto_Hartenstein), send me an invite. Shouldn't be too hard for me to pack up what little I have in my home system, meant it to be temporary anyways.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Olxinos I suggest you properly set up the pirate waves, what they can and cannot spawn. It's OK to have "boss ships" for NPC factions waaaaaay above the mass cap, because you won't run into those unless you're looking for trouble. But 20K+ mass ships can also spawn as regular random encounter pirates. And frankly, knowing your NPC ship catalog, and how well built those actual ships are, they simply 1.) shrug off anything a 3K mass ship could possibly throw at them, you'd be lucky with a 3K if you can outdamage their shield regen at all, and 2.) they oneshot 3K mass ships if they manage to hit them. I like challenges, but I don't like obvious impossible suicide missions.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Olxinos I suggest you properly set up the pirate waves, what they can and cannot spawn. It's OK to have "boss ships" for NPC factions waaaaaay above the mass cap, because you won't run into those unless you're looking for trouble. But 20K+ mass ships can also spawn as regular random encounter pirates. And frankly, knowing your NPC ship catalog, and how well built those actual ships are, they simply 1.) shrug off anything a 3K mass ship could possibly throw at them, you'd be lucky with a 3K if you can outdamage their shield regen at all, and 2.) they oneshot 3K mass ships if they manage to hit them. I like challenges, but I don't like obvious impossible suicide missions.
    sounds like you ran in the way for one of Napther's ships?

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    sounds like you ran in the way for one of Napther's ships?
    I know Olxinos uses Napther's ships. I honestly didn't stick around, I saw the red bleep, I saw the mass had a double digit and a K, I smashed the jump drive activation button a second later, because that was the only logical thing to do there, to run like hell. You don't stick around when you see a small fleet, led by a ship at least 7x the size of yours, listing as hostile.

Reaction score
    I haven't hopped on in a while. Got hit with inspiration for one of my RP destroyers.

I need to get back on. I'm trying to design the cheapest glass cannon I can lol. If the toughest ship you can make will get one-shot killed regardless, then why put anything into defense at all? If you can have a fleet of glass cannons, maybe you can make the fight short enough to be survivable lol

Reaction score
    I haven't hopped on in a while. Got hit with inspiration for one of my RP destroyers.

I need to get back on. I'm trying to design the cheapest glass cannon I can lol. If the toughest ship you can make will get one-shot killed regardless, then why put anything into defense at all? If you can have a fleet of glass cannons, maybe you can make the fight short enough to be survivable lol
    Sounds like good rationale to make a fleet of drone torpedo bombers.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Sounds like good rationale to make a fleet of drone torpedo bombers.
    Actually, with the fleet AI being more Artificial Idiocy than Artificial Intelligence, your best bet for fleet ships is building the burliest tank there is in the mass range and equip it with stop or EMP weapons, and use them as cannon fodder while you actually do some damage.

Reaction score
    Phone derped on me. Hold on lol.
    [doublepost=1493848576,1493848183][/doublepost]
    Actually, with the fleet AI being more Artificial Idiocy than Artificial Intelligence, your best bet for fleet ships is building the burliest tank there is in the mass range and equip it with stop or EMP weapons, and use them as cannon fodder while you actually do some damage.
    I agree that this is a much better idea that my "all offense all the time" but after what you described:
    1.) shrug off anything a 3K mass ship could possibly throw at them, you'd be lucky with a 3K if you can outdamage their shield regen at all, and 2.) they oneshot 3K mass ships if they manage to hit them. I like challenges, but I don't like obvious impossible suicide missions.
    I figure, if I'm gonna get insta-killed with a tank, why waste the resources on defense? Speed and firepower will be my armor, just like Jackie Fisher always wanted.

Well, that and hopefully overwhelming numbers, which is why I'm aiming for "cheap" lol

Last edited:

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Phone derped on me. Hold on lol.
    [doublepost=1493848576,1493848183][/doublepost]

I agree that this is a much better idea that my "all offense all the time" but after what you described:

I figure, if I'm gonna get insta-killed with a tank, why waste the resources on defense? Speed and firepower will be my armor, just like Jackie Fisher always wanted.

Well, that and hopefully overwhelming numbers, which is why I'm aiming for "cheap" lol
    What I mean, build the tanks to serve as AI fleet drones, or mass spam smaller drones. Build your own ship to be the glass cannon. Use the drones to draw enemy fire. Hope the enemy AI is as stupid as yours and will be distracted enough for long enough.

Reactions: Brokengauge

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    Also, what's the server policy on chaindrives? Cool, not cool, indifferent?
    I'd say indifferent, use them if you want as long as you're not using some weird clever clock which tends to cause lag (I doubt you are, basically, anything under ~30 pulses per second should be fine).

(also to keep those faction points going while I can't play, the flat 20 FP cost per cycle made me lose my home system yesterday)
    Not sure how well I'll keep the FP cost at bay
    With two people, it'll be a lot easier to stay on the positive side (as long as you connect roughly once every two~four days or more often). I don't think you'll have problems with that.
    Btw, I should also prevent FPs from goind too far on the negative side. I want to deplete FPs of inactive factions quickly, but not prevent players from having positive FPs at all if they come back. I'll probably try to make a script checking the FP values and reset them to more reasonable ones if needed, but that'll wait for this week-end.

I know Olxinos uses Napther's ships. I honestly didn't stick around, I saw the red bleep, I saw the mass had a double digit and a K, I smashed the jump drive activation button a second later, because that was the only logical thing to do there, to run like hell. You don't stick around when you see a small fleet, led by a ship at least 7x the size of yours, listing as hostile.
    To be honest, KDI ships aren't supposed to attack you if you don't provoke the faction, real pirates are supposed to be "only" ( :) ) 12k mass tops. However, KDI was unexpectedly aggressive (and still is towards some people) so I may have to change their settings, their ships or both. 12k for the biggest pirate ship (KDI excluded) might still be a bit too much, I'll see what I can do, but this will probably also have to wait a bit.

Why is the server not on the list in-game?
    Because I'm dumb and I forgot to modify the corresponding settings in server.cfg, should be done now. I haven't registered on starmade-servers though.

Reaction score
    What I mean, build the tanks to serve as AI fleet drones, or mass spam smaller drones. Build your own ship to be the glass cannon. Use the drones to draw enemy fire. Hope the enemy AI is as stupid as yours and will be distracted enough for long enough.
    I gotcha, I just wanted to be sure and make sure my original rationale was explained, so it didn't seem like I was going to such an extreme for no reason.

Having a fleet of tanks to berserker rush them while I sit back and lob artillery (and missiles!) in the background works a lot better with the way I play anyway, and that's probably the way I'll go.

I'd like to think I'm at least capable of stealing a good idea when I see one lol.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Just started on the server yesterday, and am working on a small fleet mining system. Anybody looking to +1 their faction? The single-man base is nice and all, but I think it'd be more fun to have a multi-player fleet for patrolling vs. pirates.

Edit: Also, what's the server policy on chaindrives? Cool, not cool, indifferent?
    If you'd like to join me, the Legion of Free Worlds could use some help, though I only have the chance to be on every other day on average. I can send you an invite in-game if you provide a username

Reaction score
    If you'd like to join me, the Legion of Free Worlds could use some help, though I only have the chance to be on every other day on average. I can send you an invite in-game if you provide a username
    Thanks for the offer, my player name on the server is Otto_Hartenstein.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Had a glorious time harrassing Trident (asteroid murderers!).

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    To be honest, KDI ships aren't supposed to attack you if you don't provoke the faction, real pirates are supposed to be "only" ( :) ) 12k mass tops. However, KDI was unexpectedly aggressive (and still is towards some people) so I may have to change their settings, their ships or both. 12k for the biggest pirate ship (KDI excluded) might still be a bit too much, I'll see what I can do, but this will probably also have to wait a bit.
    I saw not 12K but 21K and above with random encounter pirates (faction ID -1) spawning, although not a common occurrence. Still, running into them is not fun. I haven't angered KDI and made sure to settle far outside their sphere of influence.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    I saw not 12K but 21K and above with random encounter pirates (faction ID -1) spawning, although not a common occurrence. Still, running into them is not fun. I haven't angered KDI and made sure to settle far outside their sphere of influence.
    Did you perform the half barrel roll spin respect ritual upon joining the server? No? Well there's your problem.