Minimade baby-sized server [WILL CLOSE ON SEPTEMBER 30, 2017]

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yea, new server, not too many players yet, it also only recently got on the public list.

Pirates are OP, that's the point, it's supposed to encourage teamwork. The large sectors make space more... space-like. Get jump drives.

On the bright side, the server runs pretty well and thanks to keeping structures small, it doesn't suffer from frequent lag spikes caused by gigastructures and supertitans.

Last edited:

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, I noticed that the server runs really, really smoothly.

I do like the smaller ship size, because in addition to performance, you do get back into the action more quickly. That's a problem I've had with the game for a while - if you lose your frigate, those aren't cheap to make. If you lose a titan, you get to build another.

If you lose a fighter or corvette, you still have to build another, but between shipyards and the smaller size, it's not nearly as painful.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    What's the IP didn't see it in the OP. >.> That said this looks like a nice place to test out some of my builds and see how dead they get on a server with this kind of setup. :)

Reaction score
    servers fun but not well advertised. the only problem i see is unless you just sit afk on the server all day and night to babysit your fp youll be negative. cue hidden bases.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    servers fun but not well advertised. the only problem i see is unless you just sit afk on the server all day and night to babysit your fp youll be negative. cue hidden bases.
    Or maybe don't try to solo run it. Even offline but active (has been on during the past 48 hours) members generate FP, and if you have 2 members the Fp you get offline already outweighs the flat cost.

Reaction score
    Or maybe don't try to solo run it. Even offline but active (has been on during the past 48 hours) members generate FP, and if you have 2 members the Fp you get offline already outweighs the flat cost.
    the servers not popular enough to have a decent faction with members online all the time...

aside from that, it doesnt matter. its easy to just hide your base to deal with the fp instead of conforming to someone elses idea of how big your factio nshould be.

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    [...]Even offline but active (has been on during the past 48 hours)[...]
    In fact I've even increased those 48 hours (2 days) to 168 hours (a week) not so long ago [edit: last saturday actually, the post is on the previous page].

I've however not written a script enforcing a lower bound on FPs yet. I said earlier I'd try to do it last weekend, but well, I had to take care of IRL stuff and tbh I was a bit tired (sorry). I'm still thinking about it though (granted, just thinking about it won't change anything)

Reactions: Asvarduil

Asvarduil

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Olxinos, question. Let's assume I build a ship below the 3k mass limit. I set up a base on a planet, and the plate I set up on is either >= 3k mass, or the plate's mass plus my ship's mass is >= 3k. I get a Basic Rail and dock my ship to the plate. Do I get sent to the prison sector?

Olxinos

Reaction score
    Asvarduil
    The ship itself is still <3k mass ; the planet plate however will have its mass slightly increased (since I include docked entities) but since my teleportation script only applies to ships, it doesn't care about the planet plate mass.
    So, no, you're fine :p

Asvarduil

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Asvarduil
    The ship itself is still <3k mass ; the planet plate however will have its mass slightly increased (since I include docked entities) but since my teleportation script only applies to ships, it doesn't care about the planet plate mass.
    So, no, you're fine :p
    Ok. I don't think that applies to me yet (I'm set up on an r50 planet, and I think my ship right now is like 5.x mass), but I was just curious.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ok. I don't think that applies to me yet (I'm set up on an r50 planet, and I think my ship right now is like 5.x mass), but I was just curious.
    Planet plates are their own entity type, so if Olxinos' script specifically targets only ships, there can't be an issue.

Asvarduil

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Planet plates are their own entity type, so if Olxinos' script specifically targets only ships, there can't be an issue.
    I didn't know that, I've never done any Starmade server scripting. Now I know, and as we all know...

Obviously, my ship uses purple lasers.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Can confirm that taking on a ship 6 times the size of yours is quite the challenge!

Reaction score
    I can also confirm. These big pirate ships are scary.

Olxinos

Reaction score
    Some people have brought up a couple issues :
    1) Someone asked for enabling BUY_BLUEPRINTS_WITH_CREDITS
    2) There have been criticisms about the current accuracy/range settings.

My viewpoints on those issues are the following :
    1) I'd rather have players use shipyards (or manual building) rather than directly buy ships, but if it's something that many people want and nobody is against I'm not completely against it either.
    2) From what I gathered some people consider range and/or accuracy too low. I however don't think the server would benefit from increasing range.
    My point being that among the currently 3 kinds of "usable weapons":
    - projectile weapons (cannons/dumbfired missiles)
    - homing projectile weapons (smart missiles, ie MB/MP)
    - beams
    Only the last two kinds really benefit from a range increase as the first one is inherently limited by the delay between the moment the shot was fired and the hit (even with "infinite" accuracy, the AI/player can't completely predict how their opponent will move). In other words, I don't think a cannon round shot further than 2km away has a reasonable chance of touching any moving object, even if fired by a turret and regardless of the AI accuracy setting [edit: maybe somewhere where big slow-as-hell turtle-ships are common, but I don't think it's the case on Minimade].
    Therefore, increasing the range would really buff homing projectiles and beams only. Since the "homing projectile king" is Missile/Beam and it already has an extremely good range, while beams have quite a bad base range (0.5~1.5 RU, cannons have 1~3RU, missiles 1.6~4.8RU, RU stand for "range unit" currently 2km), I'm afraid that increasing the "range unit" would buff missile/beam too much (doubling the "range unit" would make it possible for ships to send missiles from more than ~15km away while any other weapon wouldn't be able to hit its target more than ~2km away, set aside beam/beam maybe and its 6km range).
    Another solution would be to change the vanilla range ratios, but I'd prefer to only touch the range unit for now (to be fair though, the point of not straying too far away from vanilla is to preserve the vanilla balance/meta, modifying the "range unit" is already a change which breaks the balance/meta).
    Concerning AI accuracy, I think 750 is already pretty darn good… but maybe still not enough? I'm however unsure increasing it even further will make that much of a difference.
    Maybe I've just misunderstood the criticisms and the problem lies somewhere else though. In any case, I might be the server admin, but that doesn't mean I'm right.

Of course, you're welcome to discuss on those matters.

On another note, Iskir has recently been acting really weird. They tend to pile up inactive ships near players' homebases. Nobody knows what they really are up to. War? Mourning the recent departure of their beloved creator? Planning for world domination? Just trolling and screwing with players? Everything at once?
    …anyway, this really is annoying and I regularly have to despawn their ships (hurray for /despawn_sector and /despawn_all). To be honest, I've considered downright deleting the faction.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Buy with credits: No. If you don't know how to purchase a blueprint, drop it into your joint storage, set said storage to personal, and fill it with 2 clicks after, you're at fault. It's been there for a while. It works. Get used to it. The mass limit is already so low that's pretty much the only effort you'll ever put into making a ship. Deal with it.

Ranges and AI accuracy: all fine in my book. I don't see a problem with the current setup, gives you nice feedback whether you hit or not. Sniping at things from 2 sectors away is plain boring and unintuitive. I bet this is about luring NPC ships into homebase turret range to easier slaughter them for free s**t. Don't.

That's my opinion on the matter.

Reaction score
    I find myself in agreement with Mr. Bradock in all regards.