Medals!

Reaction score
    server admins make sense, servers are more definite then factions, they come and go yes, but when they are gone there isn't a faction leader trying to save face saying its not dead for 2 weeks. the server is either operational or not.

it allows people to Message server operators with questions about server operation too, as such the server operator should "request" the badge as it would almost signify a community assistant position and someone volunteering help.

for instance I am admin on a few servers, I would not want the badge as I have enough stuff to do then help randoms, but others might want the badge as they might be more willing, I'd be more willing if I hadn't a faction and alliance and other bits to occupy my time in the community.

Imagine someone posts a question about running a server, there is 2 replies that don't agree, well the one with the server operator badge would qualify one of the statement, making it easier for new community members to understand which help is more accurate. as I understand it badges are to help new community members identify which established community members have knowledge in a specific area.

Reaction score
    Also, on the same strain as the master and renowned shipbuilders, what about terraformers and spacestation makers? Or are they considered one and the same as shipbuilding?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Ok, time to give the builder medal to the people who deserve it. Including but not limited to: crusade, ferdiheld, refirendum, the imperial donut, etc... (that's just the first names I could think of, there are many others)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Ok, time to give the builder medal to the people who deserve it. Including but not limited to: crusade, ferdiheld, refirendum, the imperial donut, etc... (that's just the first names I could think of, there are many others)
    they are awesome but some of them already have tester medail

Reaction score
    Just forgot: Users that reported security vulnerabilities or a certain number of unknown bugs.

Reaction score
    Just forgot: Users that reported security vulnerabilities or a certain number of unknown bugs.
    that is a tricky one, it would suggest the devs/mods/owners think its ok for people to look for them, and while some people might be helpful not everyone is, if someone is caught they may just shrug it off as them trying to help despite potential malicious intent.

think of it as rewarding people openly for finding security holes in your home, someone might see the back door open and tell you and you thank them, but someone else might break a window to get in, and say they were just trying to help, thats why pen testing is best left to professionals who are paid and contracted.

Reactions: Nerixel
    Reaction score
    Defenetly a point, but my personal exp. tells me that it wont help. I'm working for an financial service provider in germany. Found 10 security threads myself. One was rated as critical and I'm not even working for the IT departement. It affected payment authorisation. We're paying people to find them, but they don't because there are so many attack vectors. Unlike normal users you can't simply ban the bad guys. They wont stop. My server bans hundreds of IPs per day via fail2ban and I'm not even hosting something special. I've been a victim of data theft 2 times now. One time because EAs servers where breached and the 2nd time becauae a german pc magazine used outdated software. Both claimed they hired security experts. When looking for attack vectors I try to make clear what I'm doing by changing my useragent. Btw. I was talking about the starmade client and server as well.

Send via Android, sorry for typos.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    How about a medal for people that make quality suggestions for features in Starmade? They should have their suggestions well thought out, easy to understand, and good for the game in general. The guy that thought of the new planets should get a medal by the way.

Reactions: testkil
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    How about a medal for people that make quality suggestions for features in Starmade? They should have their suggestions well thought out, easy to understand, and good for the game in general. The guy that thought of the new planets should get a medal by the way.
    Yes true

Reaction score
    i know there is talk of a medal for faction leader but could you add a medal for each faction? for the euro corp ridiks triangle thingy or a pixileated galaxy for the DFN? yes i know faction would have to be set up with admins somehow but it would make a persons loyalties clearer to see

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    i know there is talk of a medal for faction leader but could you add a medal for each faction? for the euro corp ridiks triangle thingy or a pixileated galaxy for the DFN? yes i know faction would have to be set up with admins somehow but it would make a persons loyalties clearer to see
    Factions and servers will never have a badge, it is final.

Reactions: Susumu Kodai

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I feel you are making a mistake there, but oh well
    It is from the decision of the members at Schine, and from the forum team.

Just for all those suggestions so we don't have people calling out badges we already have

Medals we currently have
    • Schine
    • Tester
    • Master Ship Builder
    • Renowned Ship Builder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Respected Forum Contributor
    • Wiki Editor
    • Modder
    • Artist
    • StarMade Purchaser

Reaction score
    oh well. didn't think that you guys would hate it that much :(

Last edited:

Nerixel

The Walrus
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Will there be a medal for people that bought Starmade in Alpha, and another for Beta?
    It seems like a decent way to mark the trust that people put into Starmade without knowing whether it would become a good game, or whether it would continue being developed.

I'm aware that a common concern with this is that it may cause people who owned it in Alpha or Beta a feeling of elitism over those who bought the game once it's fully released, however I've never really noticed this on other forums that do this. It's like forums that show post count, some people let it go to their head, but those people are few and far between and they tend to get warned and/or banned for being so stuck up. If they continue being like that, they tend to get permabanned.

It also provides some good marks for that user. As they've owned the game for so long, it implies that they've played the game for a long time. When they make posts with information about the game, people who've been playing a long time are more likely to be correct than someone who turned up yesterday. This can be quite important in threads about mechanics or about technical support.

I've known multiple forums to just dismiss this kind of idea without even thinking about trying it. It's somewhat based around the community of the game, so I think it'd at least be worth a shot to see if this community is mature enough to be able to handle it. Some aren't. I don't see any harm in it, considering how easy it'd be to reverse later on.

Reaction score
    That can be taken care of with signatures, medals for such things are unnecessary.