Manual Control of Turrets

Master_chief_150

Ol' Reliable
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In case the title doesn't give it away, i'll explain it here.

I would like to suggest the ability to take manual control of a turret docked to the main entity.
    This could help with.
    1. Manual Point Defence. Not all AI can aim right
    2. Focused Fire/Manual Operation. This allows players the ability to take control of a heavy turret in a pinch if the main ship's weapons shut down
    3. Editing of Turret Control from docked entity. E.g. Docked to a main ship with a turret, and being able to change when the turret shoots Missiles, shoots Astronauts, or Selected Targets
    I went through the ship's controls trying to find this option but only found an "undock all" or "(de)activate Turrets"

Reactions: Lone_Puppy

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    Middle mouse click the turret barrel in build mode

Reaction score
    I'm pretty sure when chairs are added to the game they will add this for both cores and turrets. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a simple connection between the chair and whatever you are trying to control. The good news is that it's coming out... SoonTM

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would like this suggestion further expanded, so that you can group turrets, and order them to attack specific targets. (You know, exactly like they show on popular Scifi media like Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG, etc...)

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Nice suggestion. Control from the hotbar or similar would be awesome! Perhaps an interface like the Crew control, but for AI.
    Then you could easily manage everything while in flight without having to stop somewhere safe to then get out and manually change things one at a time in astronaut mode.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'd like to see Point defense turrets have a setting to use secondary fire (unfocused). A Waffle AMS would be much better than what we have now.

Reaction score
    I'd like to see Point defense turrets have a setting to use secondary fire (unfocused). A Waffle AMS would be much better than what we have now.
    Don't all turrets use unfocused fire as it is?
    This isn't as great as you think it is for point defense, because a waffle point defense is going to be missing with the majority of the waffle if not the whole thing. The turret can only aim one barrel and the others are generally going to be wasted shots.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Don't all turrets use unfocused fire as it is?
    This isn't as great as you think it is for point defense, because a waffle point defense is going to be missing with the majority of the waffle if not the whole thing. The turret can only aim one barrel and the others are generally going to be wasted shots.
    Unless they've changed something or there's a config setting out there; I've only seen turrets use focus fire.

A wide-waffle array or "wiederwaffe" (sorry... one of my subsidiary companies is from 22nd century Germany) creates a wall of bullets that tend to behave like one giant bullet. Couple that with a staggered cannon/cannon system and you can fill in the gaps. On occasion I've actually equipped weaker rapid fire cannons with a wide area of coverage to sweep for incoming missiles. I can't shoot for crap so I'm willing to bet that the AI can do it a lot better than I can.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Waffle unfocused fire would really come into its own if multiple-missile heatseekers are changed into multiple-missile lock-ons. Or even if they remain heat-seekers.