Status
    Not open for further replies.

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Why have beatufil launcher ? I mean... look at War Thunder: really good loking, but horrible internet connection and laggy menu...

I think I will stay with the classical one...

Btw: the new one doesn't have a "create a backup" option when updating ?

Reaction score
    are you sure you did actualy load into your world and not into a new one in a new isntallation ?
    I don't think so, it just showed me only one of my worlds in the list. I have three, one called world0 and it was the only one that showed up.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Cfbcm ... that is then not your world. there isnt a reason why the other folders should have been gone

check here if the game is actually installed to the path where your game did reside formerly.
    i think you installed a new copy of starmade somewhere else .. and that one has then no access to your old universe folders

Screenshot_12.jpg

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Cfbcm ... that is then not your world. there isnt a reason why the other folders should have been gone

check here if the game is actually installed to the path where your game did reside formerly.
    i think you installed a new copy of starmade somewhere else .. and that one has then no access to your old universe folders

View attachment 28694
    I wish there was an easier way to swap between installations. Right now I use steam and it lets me choose between the old launcher and the new launcher which are linked to different installs. Basically it's a simple check box for me to swap.

Reaction score
    I dont know if this is a bug, or me being stupid, because i have tried to fix it but have failed. I launched the beta launcher just fine, and i downloaded the latest dev version (v0.198.485) just fine. But when i tried to get onto the test server, it loaded to 29% and then this was my screen:

and then it crashed.
    Seeing the message, i went to settings, and saw the resolution was at 128. I changed it to 256 and immediately after applying i got the same message, and then it crashed. I'm using the 64-bit version on my 64-bit computer, ill give my specs here:
    Graphics card: NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
    Memory Sticks: two 8gig memory sticks
    RAM: 24gigs
    VRAM: 2gigs
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
    Moniters: two 1980x1080 acer screens
    Do you have any idea as to whats my problem and how i can fix it?
    [doublepost=1468884355,1468884021][/doublepost]DISREGARD: i switched my installed directory to my normal starmade folder, installed the new update, and bam, it worked. sorry for wasting your time,
    FireG0dz

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    since I loaded the beta launcher on my new computer I can not find screenshots I've been taking since the new instal,this machine doesn't have the old launcher on it at all and no folder in the star made folder contains any pic's(yes I know about f5/f6 ).I've looked in the starmade launcher win32-x64 folders and the only snap shot listing is snapshot_blob?,would be really nice to be able to contribute pics again,but where in the cosmo's did they go (had no problem finding them on the old launcher but new is good is it not?):(

Reaction score
    • Tester
    the screenshots are being saved to the install path of the game.

check here where that is if you cant find it : Screenshot_12.jpg

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Thats the stupid default path yes.
    If you experience further problems ... change the path at the Launcher ... then close it and copy and paste the whole game from that appdate folder to thenew place (best for that is its own folder in a place like c: )

calani

Dreaming of Sushi ~
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    it installed in a obscure spot in my c drive(roaming appdata?!)
    Thats the stupid default path yes.
    I wholeheartedly agree! Using %appdata% for an install location seems quite silly.

I forget which version it was in (Edit: v2.0.6), but I've changed the default install path to ./StarMade (with . being the launcher directory). I've also moved the cache to within the launcher directory, making the launcher and game completely self-contained by default. This altered cache location will be included in the next build.

Last edited:
    Reactions: terra mining corp.

calani

Dreaming of Sushi ~
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Build 163 is up, and it's a rather large update.
    It's also a release-candidate, so if all goes well we will release the launcher by the end of the week.

Help us make sure it's ready!

Changelog:
    1. Feature: Actual logging! The launcher writes the log to launcher.log within its directory. I will continually add to the log and tweak its entries as the launcher progresses.
    2. Behavior change: Reduced the amount of console output, notably during game updates. This change also considerably reduces Electron's needless spam.
    3. Behavior change: --debugging and --verbose now change the log-level, thereby showing additional log entries. Please use --verbose when sending in launcher bug reports.
    4. Feature: --development now opens chrome dev tools for all windows.
    5. Feature: --cache-dir allows you to specify a custom launcher cache path. Note that this does not persist between instances, so you must specify it each time.
    6. Feature: added --capture-game-log, which does what it says. The launcher will capture and log all game output; invaluable for troubleshooting. Implies --attach, useless with --detach
    7. Feature: Rewrote --help, including version/build info, and grouping available options. I've also moved this code to the top of the main process, bypassing the Electron output garbage and speeding up execution considerably.
    8. Bugfix: Capturing game output works correctly again.
    9. Bugfix: Memory slider and memory defaults now cap to physical ram.
    10. Bugfix: Memory slider can now always snap to the lower/upper bounds.
    11. Bugfix: The first news entry's title in the news feed is no longer cut off if it is too long.
    12. Bugfix: Updated cache location. The launcher now stores its cache within its own directory. This update also fixes the bug where the launcher would create several directories in incorrect locations.
    13. Behavior change: The launcher and game are now self-contained by default: both the cache and game folders default to within the launcher folder. (applies to: win32, posix)
    14. Feature: Added low memory warnings to the memory settings window
    15. Feature: Added validation for invalid memory settings.
    16. Feature: Added path sanitizing (win32, posix) to the build type dialog's install path. This prevents using paths with invalid characters (causing undefined behavior) and using a blank path (which previously would install the game to your drive's root -- messy.)
    17. Feature: Added warning dialog when detecting the _JAVA_OPTIONS environment variable that details what it is, why it's harmful, and allows the user to alter its value if desired. This should solve some of the rare, difficult-to-troubleshoot support tickets.
    18. Feature: Launcher now presents --steam users with the Steam Link page post-auth until they have either linked or permanently ignored it.
    19. Feature: The autoupdate process now buffers the update package, and gracefully handles any errors it encounters. It only applies the update if everything succeeds. Previously, any interruption during the lengthy download would irreparably corrupt the launcher, making it susceptible to any number of issues from connection timeouts to power failures to impatience. This change narrows that corruptible window from several minutes down to less than a second. (Aside: an i/o error detected during this tiny window is the launcher's only use of the [amusingly accurate] FATAL log entry type.) In addition, the other launcher windows (auth, main) will no longer open during the autoupdate process.
    20. Many, many internal changes and improvements.
    ------

Also: I am dropping standalone launcher support for OSX until I have addressed the (non-trivial) codesigning/autoupdate issue on that platform. Instead, we might only retain support for OSX through Steam, as Steam handles the updating itself, and therefore bypasses the codesigning issue entirely. More simply: OSX users will need to play StarMade via Steam. This may change in the future.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    So I tried the win64 version on windows 10 and didn´t see any obvious problem.

Maybe still needs some small tweaks here and there (font size, linking the news post to the forum,...). Since I use the new laucher the whole time without issues and it seems that you fixed the most critical bugs I don´t see any reason to delay the release from my point of view.

Status
    Not open for further replies.