Landing Gear/ Repulser Fields.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Wonderful idea, defenitely needed. Here\'s my take on the details.

There are three block types needed to get a properly working landing system. Landing gear projectors, at least one cockpit and a landing cmouter.
    The former two must be linked to the computer, like any other blocks are. They must also be facing downwards in order to properly function.

When activated in the flight mode hotbar, the computer will activate the \"landing mode\", a new control mode almost identical to flight mode. The exceptions are, you can only switch between cockpits properly linked to the computer, you can zoom in as well as out, the ship will orient itself to an upright position and then be limited to rotation on the vertical axis, there is no hotbar and the gui will always be in SDBB targeting mode. The ship will also no longer be affected by gravity, explained in-game by the gear projectors also emitting some kind of beamish thruser effect.

Using this, the pilot will be able to rather easily move over the planet and pick a suitable spot. This is done by holding the cursor in the the targeting recticle and clicking(and holding) on a block. The gui will then preform the regular targeting animation, but the gear projectors will also point docking beams at the blocks below them and move them to the block being selected at the same speed as the recticle locks on. When it goes green, right-clicking will put you in descent mode, which is basically the same as landing mode, but you can freely switch between all cockpits and a third person side view. The regular up/down buttons will control the descent, and left-clicking will initialize the holographic landing gear, tightly locking the ship in it\'s position.

Now, I realize this is rather complex, but I belive it sounds worse than it is, and it\'s mostly intended for high-precition landing of large and bulky ships, that might have to fit in spaces with a margin of a single block or two. There should also be the alternative to simply fly to the position you want and initialize the gear, for shuttles and fighters.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ive let this post go for awhile but i have to say i think itd be nice to see what the developers come up with. I personally hope they do it and incorporate a low gravity system in space stations and such so the ships will stay on there landing gear instead of touching down then bouncing up.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    we should have some sort of module which would let the ship to stick to other ships/stations/objects. I like the docking concept, but it seems weird at the time and building an bigger dock is just too expensive and iimpractical.I personally see the way to fix that by making another block, which would act as center of that docking beam in the process.

Reaction score
    Landing gear could also lock the ship to whatever it touched down on. so teh ship doesnt slide around and float off.
    It also means that (in the future) players in stealth crafts could land on the hull of a large ship and plant tracking devices/detonators.

Docking modules could then be used as a lock-block (a docking module on the ship and station link together, creatign a seamless joining) allowing stations to have tubes that ships could dock on (much like modern airplanes)

Reaction score
    Not sure what the Y-Wing reference has got to do with it, you may be confusing ships, mon general... the YT-2000 is a freighter ;)

Except maybe that all the smaller Star Wars ships seem disproportionately small, as opposed to the disproportionately large large Star Wars ships.

That said, +1 for landing gear, especially the \"attach to planet to eliminate wobble\"; basically kind of a built-in docking adapter.

Reaction score
    Landing gear would be GREAT. So many times I have been flying my combat ships into the hangar of my carrier, and am forced to awkwardly angle the ship so that A) the docking beam does not hit the door of the hangar, causing annoying collision spam, and B) the beam actually hits the docking module, placed on the floor so that the ships can be entered easily, and C) the back of the ship doesn\'t push off of the ceiling, sending me into a weird spiral.

Just being able to swoop in, whack the \"Engage Landing Gear\" button shortcut, then Q down until I have docked would be great. Convenience would be maximized, since I no longer have to angle my ship to target the Docking Module.

The rig doesn\'t need to be complex. 3-5 downward extensions could easily prop up a ship, but their mass would need to scale with that of the ship, so you don\'t see a capital ship sitting on six blocks of landing gear.

Also, this makes for fun if a large ship \"lands\" on a planet or station, since a deft pilot (from a Tatooine farm, no doubt!) can swoop in and AMC away the landing gear, resulting in potential collision damage (if implemented at the time) or even just inconvenient bouncing.

As a theoretical example, say that Player 1 lands their ship on a planet\'s uneven terrain, using the auto-balance feature (not necessary, but cool to have if possible!) to remain level, and hops out to Build Block the planet for 8k resources per click (Controversial, I know!). Player 2 arrives in his fighter, and deftly fires several shots from his AMC array, blowing out the lander legs. Player 1\'s ship rolls over, and its less-armored underside is exposed. The game balance has not been changed, this is similar to blowing up a Docking Module, but the landing modules are likely to have more armor and bulk.

Perhaps the module stores x amount of blocks, which it temporarily places as the landing legs?

Reaction score
    It\'s so much more elegant to land your ship with a landing gear, instead of smashing it into the planet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would like to see landing gear added to this game and also the ability to have it retract. be perfect for landing ships on planets or other objects

Reaction score
    The Death Star core will not be implemented. It\'s been left over as a joke from an early multiplayer capture-the-flag mode.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It seems to me like you keep repeating what you want to say, and people keep repeating the same things, not listening to reading your excellent point about turrets and planet bases

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    you know your right because after all what good is a ships defence system if its resting on it. or the fact that ships dont like gravity and can be hard to get out of if it\'s entrances are on the bottom. I want to hear your all opinions and uses for this now.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    that would make a great use Hunter95 I think i could see that happening!.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    all the good added ideas like make it to where we can lock onto other ships when the gear contacts another ship or space station hanger.

Reaction score
    This would get rid of bounce then??? Like how you bounce around off blocks, landing gear would just set you there?

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    that would probably be what would happen, but id say all of your gear would have to at least make contact before it locks to the ground.