Landing Gear/ Repulser Fields.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'd like to suggest retracting and extending landing gear for ships, i think it would be a useful feature for those players who like me like to land on a planets surface, or in a space stations hanger. I know you can do this already without landing gear but ive noticed you tend to bound around a bit on the ground, you even bounce off the floor of space stations. So with landing gear you could try to get rid of that issue and add that one feature just to make ships just that much neater to fly. thanks for you time!

(edit) i Have read some sudgestions on the replies to this post and decided to add them to the first one! I will include some of them here.

*I noticed one comment sudgested that it should allow you to [er say lock onto a ship or a spacestation ounce gear has made contact but be releasable kinda like a docking module but more mobile.

*Another is that the gear should just be a alteration of plex doors to allow them to be controled from the ships core via key command of 1-0 like a weapons computer but have different computers that control landing gear like a landing gear computer.

*Landing gear should have acompanying systems I.E. repulser field that allows a ship to hover in atmosphere's of planets for surface landings .

*(I will also note that the person that also sudgested that the repulsor system should take a certain amount of power in relation to ship to allow it to hover or have in atmosphere flight) Adding onto the repulsor idea a Repulsor lift field would be a great alternative to landing gear and would probably be easier to program into the game, but keep in mine it should always have a constant power drain, which would mean ship builders would have to have adequite powere to size ratio's on the ships to allow this to be feasible. Take Luke Skywalkers land speeder for example it hovered because of a repulsor field infact all star wars ships had them for atmospheric flight due to the ion exhaust of the engines being poisonous, which is why they shut the main engins off and used repulsor's to fly in atmosphere. Just food for thought.

* new one make it to where we have a block assigned in our ship that we can control similarly to a weapons computer and make it to where we can have it activate and deactivate plex doors we can use as landing gear. So we can design our landing gear to our needs and specifications!

Thats is all im adding for now!

Reaction score
    I think that would be kind of a nifty feature; imagine a fighter coming in for a landing and they hover over the pad lowering their gear before majestically touching down to dock.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Could you imagine having to go through all of the steps to land a ship, reminds me of landing scenes from voyager (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7nEJTLP308). would make the game so much more realistic!

Reaction score
    For planet landings, i agree, but if you want to land on a space station or another ship there is this little known thing called a \"docking module\".

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ok the reason i said for stations is because the ships i normally build are a bit to large (by alot) for the landing modules to handle i dont believe i can even get the advanced ones to work for my ship. Haha plus if they make a landing gear bloke that can extend and retract and adequit ships that can fly in a atmospher we can build planet based bases with landind pads and hangers for our ships without having to make smaller ships to fly down and land that way.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    For good example of a heavily modified Isanth i\'ve built.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The lasers on that ship... My head... Well, it\'s a nice looking ship!

As for landing gear: The current docking system needs to be modified, though I need to think about how.

With enough docking enhancers, you should be able to fit that ship in a hanger that size, though I never really ues them myself, so I could be wrong.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    i mean i like to take this to planets and land sometimes but im also in the workings of making another ship similar to a star wars one called the YT-2000 and it\'s probably going to be bigger, and i know it had landing gear and some people do build things liek that in star made ive already seen a millinium falcon and it\'d be nice to have these features so we can land them, since we can already dock them it\'d be nice to land them too.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    if you want landing gear, then play around with the plex doors =) a network of plex doors activated within your ships command center can be a fun way to create retracting landing feet

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    \"if you want landing gear, then play around with the plex doors =) a network of plex doors activated within your ships command center can be a fun way to create retracting landing feet\"
    for some of us that kind of system would take up to much room plus when you have plex doors that have to be activated or deactivated when your in your ships core it will boot you out and that can be a bad thing if your ship is hurtling towards a planet, ive had to chase down at least 3 of my ships because of be spawned out side my ship when i exit it and its not fun when you gotta chase it down.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    if they incorporate this idea into the game what would you all use them for?

Reaction score
    In the blocks, there is already landing gear i believe, as well as a Death Star Core, those arent implemented yet. They are there, just not ingame.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Honestly, I see no use for it. Unless they add collision damage, and landing gear negates some of it, I will never have a reason to not just get near a planet, level out, and tap E rapidly so that it slows my decent (just to prevent myself from bouncing too much). That also assumes I\'ll ever want to get near a planet XD. Outside of planets, when there\'s no gravity, I just use a docking module or simply leave my ship floating nearby.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    well id like a planet based Station which would require landing gear because i have automated turrets on the bottom of some of my ships. Plus the atmospher acts kinda like a pirate shield, I\'ve noticed the pirates wont enter the atmosphere of a planet they just circle it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'d like to see a system of being able to open and close plexdoors from the core, to create something like landing gears (or to just let my friends get in without sitting exposed in space for hours waiting for them to find the door -sigh-, or even worse, getting out to open them)