Landing Gear/ Repulser Fields.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This idea is just having a rest, it is not dead for many people have wanted landing gear which myself find pointless because if you land what is stopping an enemy shooting you.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    i can see what your saying, but i have a faction who requested a very large ship needless not to say a mother ship and its just too big just to plop down if ya know what i mean.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Are not meant to land or dock onto anything.

The Hell would a mothership would do with a landing gear anyways?
    I know this doesn\'t apply to the game, and I\'m glad it doesn\'t, but a ship the size of a mothership would technically collapse from its own weight within an atmosphere. Pretty much the same way a whale does when it gets stuck on a shore.

So landing on a planet is out of the question and sorta silly.
    As for a station... Jesus lord, might as well make an artificial planet to land motherships.

-------

Personally, so far I\'ve used ship design itself to handle landing. If it\'s for turrets underneath, like you said, then I\'ll just maybe include a curved hull line going down just as necessary, then blend it with the ship so it doesn\'t look forced.

Don\'t worry, I wouldn\'t consider an idea \"dead\" just because no one replied for a day. If anything, \"Landing gear\" posts appear like recurrent mushrooms twice or thrice a day. It\'s as if nobody actually reads the topics sometimes..

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    my mother ship isnt exactly a planet sized ship its the size of a CR90 Corvette in star wars, i went with a modified one for a basis and it was called the Far Star and these corvettes where equiped with landing struts. The only reason i call it a mother ship is because of its large hanger and that hangers ability to handle small ships.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    if theres anymore supporters out there i would like to see what the other star ship captians have in mind for a feature like this if they incorporate it

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Have a landing gear module that you then can select and assign blocks to. You can activate or deactivate and it has an inverse option. When in flight in default mode the assigned blocks are invisible, when in atmosphere or docked they are visible, use this to make custom designed landing gears. Use the inverse option for plexidoors or custom designed ramps up to access points. At the moment my small shuttles have access points that are too high up due to the docking method, but with this solution I\'d have a ramp up to the access point.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    +1 on this idea. First because the idea of actually flying in and landing is much more appealing to me than just clicking a button and getting locked on when using small ships, and second because the docking feature right now is broken to the point where you do not just simply click a button and get locked on but rather desperately ram the aimed docking module spamming your left click until it works.

Reaction score
    Like in Halo. On the Covenant ships. They stay in orbit and use a beam to go from the ship to the surface and back... Or, you know, core-activated blocks that appear or dissappear.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    i dont like that idea so much id rather have physical landing gear so you can physically land your ship, it would be a neater feature.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Sounds like a good idea to me it would definitly be handy for me

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think it would be useful but i also think they should add a a gravity unit addition for space stations and ships that have hangers so the ship your flying will actually land on its landing gear and not float off. i think it would be nice.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    With regards to the docking port, he\'s obviously going to fix that eventually. I do think it\'d be nice to be able to toggle things like lights and plexidoors from the core, but I don\'t see why we\'d necessarily need an entirely seperate landing gear block.

I do feel I should point out that it\'d just be for aesthetics anyways... There\'s no gameplay advantage to having a special \"Landing Gear\" block. What you seem to be suggesting isn\'t any different from just landing on the stuff anyways. The bouncing around and not drifting from space station hangers have to do with the physics engine and making the \"Landing Gear\" block prevent that stuff from happening wouldn\'t be fixing the actual cause of the issue (which I\'m sure will be addressed eventually anyways).

Reaction score
    I think, due to the nature of the games docking style, that instead of landing \"gears\" they should be a form of stablizer that can alow the ship to hover, even over a large cliff, so long as you have the spare power, thrust, and enough hover blocks to stablize the ship. Also I would think that this would be easier to encode seeing as the landing gear would need more than an algorithm to figure out how to 1 land properly and 2 keep the ship to the planet without it making the planet look like it is made of flubber.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Temporary landing gear can be made with PlexDoors in a network to a central \"button\" to smash.
    Currently, the game is in Alpha, so I\'d like Schema to make it completely playable.
    No, hear me out on this.

When the game is out of alpha, we may be given tools that we can use to mod Starmade. Mods in games that support them will, if successful enough, be added to the main game itself in time.

When this happens, a talented coder will be able to add in hinges, powered hinges, telescoping rods, and hydraulics. I can near guarantee this will happen. When it does, we won\'t just be limited to landing gear - we\'ll also be able to create arms and claws to grab other objects, like hooking onto cargo crates and the like or forcibly docking other ships against their will.

Reaction score
    Very much needed unless the physics engine gets a serious overhaul so that things don\'t flip out whenever in contact.