Kupu's thread

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Good thing I keep derelicts around.

The new damage overlay is nice but is feels like it's missing some panache. It may need to be darkened so it's a little more visible/vibrant. I already do prefer it over the bright orange color though.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I kinda like the orange burns on the damage. If you plan on getting rid of it, make it so that the last two stages of damage have a bit of orange on it. I think it will work if it's kept faint. It's hard to see damage otherwise if it's just a dark overlay.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I kinda like the orange burns on the damage. If you plan on getting rid of it, make it so that the last two stages of damage have a bit of orange on it. I think it will work if it's kept faint. It's hard to see damage otherwise if it's just a dark overlay.
    Yup, i agree. I actually have some fire damage tiles for this new damage overlay but removed it for the sake of this trial run.

Sven_The_Slayer Yea. I'm thinking i go darker on the last two stages and on the last introduce a small amount of fire damage before the block explodes with a hot core (which will probably also get a texture change, it's just lava currently).

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Yup, i agree. I actually have some fire damage tiles for this new damage overlay but removed it for the sake of this trial run.

Sven_The_Slayer Yea. I'm thinking i go darker on the last two stages and on the last introduce a small amount of fire damage before the block explodes with a hot core (which will probably also get a texture change, it's just lava currently).
    perhaps for the new core texture, it could look like wires and conduits have been severed? would help justify the lack of them in ships, and the ship wide power access
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422609594,1422609551][/DOUBLEPOST]wait, nope.

Never mind

Dirt with wires would be stupid

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    and my 2 cents, ..... I like the new direction but as others have said, try to add some fire or burning parts as it gets worse to distinguish them from the rest. personally though, I like the fire :)

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Personally, I think a destroyed block should dissolve into a cloud of balloons.

In all seriousness, would be nice to have some sort of particle effect that emits from reactors when they're destroyed. Some smoke, too.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen

In all seriousness, would be nice to have some sort of particle effect that emits from reactors when they're destroyed. Some smoke, too.
    We first need the actual particle system before kupu can do something.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    It would be cool is a block emitted super tiny poofs of shrapnel particles ((added onto the explosion particle) that are about 1/40th the size of a block) when they get damaged. People could enable/disable them in their settings in case they are performance intensive.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422635706,1422635654][/DOUBLEPOST]

And maybe some green lighting-like bolts with EMP effects. Mmm.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422637368][/DOUBLEPOST]
    And maybe some green lighting-like bolts with EMP effects. Mmm.
    If this becomes a thing ( :P ) I foresee EMP bombs using logic, reactors, a cannon, and someone's base...

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yea, all these neat little ideas come under particle effects as FunnyBunny14 has said, which is currently sidelined to make way for more important features. I'm sure once particles are being worked on fancy things like this will be added.

Reactions: mrsinister
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How about increasingly noticeable cracks? In the last few stages of damage the cracks could glow orange or white, implying the heat from the weapons fire is burning/melting the block from within. Not sure how convincing this would look on foliage etc. but who starts shooting at trees in the middle of a space fight anyway? ;-)

I really like the idea of sparkly particle conduits, especially for mysterious alien builds. However, I think orange conduits have many more applications so I'd have to vote for them if pushed to pick one.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    both blue and orange would be good

that way we can have blue go with ice crystals and orange go with lava. hopefully later we can get 1 for each color of hull/crystal
    That would be a nightmare on the whole "conserving texture space" thing :P.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422722638,1422722536][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I never realised how much I wanted that until I saw that picture.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422722843][/DOUBLEPOST]Damn, looking at these stylish textures makes me curse my low-end computer, she almost catches fire on 64x64.

Reaction score
    Computer wedges would be an awesome addition to the game! Either screens or just pure buttons, levers and knobs.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    8 fluid colors would be a nightmare on on the texture space?
    Yea. Here is why.

8 fluid conduits, each animated using 4 frames.

8x4 = 32 tiles.

Each texture sheet holds 256 tiles. Our 8 conduit pipes suddenly use 12.5% of a texture sheet.

1 texture sheet at 256px resolution is a 4096 x 4096px canvas size. To work out the amount of graphics memory used, we do the following calculation.

A square 4k image that's 32-bit (8 bit per channel, RGBA) will use:
    4096 x 4096 = 16,777,216 pixels
    8 bits per channel x 4 channels = 32 bit = 4 bytes
    4 x 16,777,216 = 67,108,864 bytes = 64 megabytes

As a general guideline, add 33% on for mipmapping in opengl.

We currently have 3 texture sheets loaded + mipmaps. Double this if you are using normal maps.

So it's not going to destroy everything if we have to add another sheet, but spending 12.5% of a texture sheet for the sake of 8 colours on a decorative conduit is foolish. Hopefully this explains a little better why i'm not animating everything and giving a colour variant to everything. :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422735253,1422734962][/DOUBLEPOST]
    How about increasingly noticeable cracks? In the last few stages of damage the cracks could glow orange or white, implying the heat from the weapons fire is burning/melting the block from within. Not sure how convincing this would look on foliage etc. but who starts shooting at trees in the middle of a space fight anyway? ;-)
    Ha! You know this was pretty much my exact design on the first try at redesigning the overlay. Here, check it out.

I'm now looking to add tiles 6 and 7 into the final damage stages and the last tile as the middle of the broken block effect.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I kinda want to see how that last frame looks when tiled before I support it. It looks cool, but I think going further with the second to last one would better suite a burned metal hull. It's like exactly what I suggested earlier and it looks great. Cracks do not really make sense to me, honestly.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Yea. Here is why.

8 fluid conduits, each animated using 4 frames.

8x4 = 32 tiles.

Each texture sheet holds 256 tiles. Our 8 conduit pipes suddenly use 12.5% of a texture sheet.

1 texture sheet at 256px resolution is a 4096 x 4096px canvas size. To work out the amount of graphics memory used, we do the following calculation.

A square 4k image that's 32-bit (8 bit per channel, RGBA) will use:
    4096 x 4096 = 16,777,216 pixels
    8 bits per channel x 4 channels = 32 bit = 4 bytes
    4 x 16,777,216 = 67,108,864 bytes = 64 megabytes

As a general guideline, add 33% on for mipmapping in opengl.

We currently have 3 texture sheets loaded + mipmaps. Double this if you are using normal maps.

So it's not going to destroy everything if we have to add another sheet, but spending 12.5% of a texture sheet for the sake of 8 colours on a decorative conduit is foolish. Hopefully this explains a little better why i'm not animating everything and giving a colour variant to everything. :)
    0_o Well that does explain a lot. Best go with just two liquid colors then

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Question: Can we climb on scaffolding? I haven't gotten to test out the new version yet

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I really liked the idea of ships getting yellow-hot when I shot them. Like I was melting the hull right off their ships. Though somehow it didn't look quite right, like the hulls were just painted yellow instead of actually being hot. Maybe it just needed a bloom effect?

What if the old damage textures, or the same concept, were displayed with the new ones under them when you damaged a ship, and after awhile, the yellow textures faded away?

Actually, the effect might look more believable if a yellow glowing splotch was displayed over the ship's hull, overlapping several blocks, rather than painting each individual block.

It might also look better if there was a gradual transition in color from red, to orange, to yellow, to white-hot.