Kupu's thread

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hello all.

The new UI, as i'm sure you are aware is taking longer than anticipated. I felt a little bad for not being able to show more screens (it's in a real state of flux) so i'll let you in on the next set of texture work and new proposed blocks. I know lots of you love RP and building cool stuff, so more deco blocks is surely a good thing!
    Incase you wonder, this did not take time away from UI development work.

So enough chit chat! Pictures are why you came here!

Scaffolding! Yes.

I am also testing a new damage texture set. Let me know your thoughts.

Changes to the server texture. Animated!

Decorative blocks are quite static currently. I'm hoping to breathe a little life into 1 or 2 of them.
    [Do note before requesting i do this to every / more blocks, they take 4 times the amount of texture space, having to add a new texture sheet will add more yet more occupied VRAM* more on this later.]

Animated deco computer!

This next one is long requested... A conduit, for water / coolant. (Decorative).

So here! Besides the UI this is what is on my desk and being worked. These will be made available before the UI update.

There was a little excitement surrounding the idea of the Mail client being accessible through the Personal Computer block. I'd like to confirm that here. Pressing (R) will being up the Mail UI. Its a great idea. Good one therimmer96

*On VRAM. I'm aware Normal maps are expensive to run currently. Extremely expensive if you run the 256 texture pack. Having them loaded is like running two texture packs at the same time and those 4096x sheets are pretty costly. We plan on testing normal maps at a lower bit depth to see if we can get them looking just as good but save you a huge amount of VRAM space. I'm sure optimisations would be appreciated on the eye candy.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422020992,1422020602][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh i almost forgot... i also have improved the visibility of transparent icons and the clarity of colours on ores and capsules, (orange / yellow).

I found myself annoyed whilst playing the game that those two damn crystal colours are too hard to tell apart!! ...then i realised it was my fault. :D
    i really like the new damage overlays :)

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hello all.

The new UI, as i'm sure you are aware is taking longer than anticipated. I felt a little bad for not being able to show more screens (it's in a real state of flux) so i'll let you in on the next set of texture work and new proposed blocks. I know lots of you love RP and building cool stuff, so more deco blocks is surely a good thing!
    Incase you wonder, this did not take time away from UI development work.

So enough chit chat! Pictures are why you came here!

Scaffolding! Yes.

I am also testing a new damage texture set. Let me know your thoughts.

Changes to the server texture. Animated!

Decorative blocks are quite static currently. I'm hoping to breathe a little life into 1 or 2 of them.
    [Do note before requesting i do this to every / more blocks, they take 4 times the amount of texture space, having to add a new texture sheet will add more yet more occupied VRAM* more on this later.]

Animated deco computer!

This next one is long requested... A conduit, for water / coolant. (Decorative).

So here! Besides the UI this is what is on my desk and being worked. These will be made available before the UI update.

There was a little excitement surrounding the idea of the Mail client being accessible through the Personal Computer block. I'd like to confirm that here. Pressing (R) will being up the Mail UI. Its a great idea. Good one therimmer96

*On VRAM. I'm aware Normal maps are expensive to run currently. Extremely expensive if you run the 256 texture pack. Having them loaded is like running two texture packs at the same time and those 4096x sheets are pretty costly. We plan on testing normal maps at a lower bit depth to see if we can get them looking just as good but save you a huge amount of VRAM space. I'm sure optimisations would be appreciated on the eye candy.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422020992,1422020602][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh i almost forgot... i also have improved the visibility of transparent icons and the clarity of colours on ores and capsules, (orange / yellow).

I found myself annoyed whilst playing the game that those two damn crystal colours are too hard to tell apart!! ...then i realised it was my fault. :D
    Great job. Have a cake. No, two cakes.

Seriously though, I'm really excited for the scaffolding and water tube blocks. Maybe you could consider adding one that's got orange/red liquid in it?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    YESSSS! Mail Computer is a thing! :D

...Also, the decorative water conduit block is amazing. I will probably be using that for... stuff. But another conduit with some kind of red or orange liquid might be great too, that way we could have, like, reactant conduits, or maybe matter and antimatter, fuel and coolant, etc.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yea, i hear you Mariux & Ithirahad , A second conduit pertaining to something a little more "special" would be great.
    Now you both mentioned orange *something* which would sit next to, and make a really nice contrast with the blue conduit. But a few pages back Neonstrum showed a sample of a block that looked to contain space itself! Some bizarre stardust / plasma / anitimatter / goopy universe. Any thoughts on preference? An orange fluid / energy channel... or a "anti matter" type substance?

I suppose this is almost like a vote for you all to have some say.... please do type a quick message on which option you prefer, or add a 3rd option (specifically for a flowing conduit block). I'll post back with the winning idea after a couple of days.

Ps;
    Dont forget our red versions of the jump drive blocks ;)
    You can hue shift them yourselves and add them in! :P Custom texture capabilities are there for this very reason. Also... it sort of conforms a little too closely to star trek i think?

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I want both... Though I prefer the orangy one a little bit more.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    But a few pages back Neonstrum showed a sample of a block that looked to contain space itself! Some bizarre stardust / plasma / anitimatter / goopy universe. Any thoughts on preference? An orange fluid / energy channel... or a "anti matter" type substance?
    where?
    therimmer96 YES!!! YOU ACTUALLY INTEAD OF JUST EATING CAKE, CONGRATS!!! XD

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yea, i hear you Mariux & Ithirahad , A second conduit pertaining to something a little more "special" would be great.
    Now you both mentioned orange *something* which would sit next to, and make a really nice contrast with the blue conduit. But a few pages back Neonstrum showed a sample of a block that looked to contain space itself! Some bizarre stardust / plasma / anitimatter / goopy universe. Any thoughts on preference? An orange fluid / energy channel... or a "anti matter" type substance?

I suppose this is almost like a vote for you all to have some say.... please do type a quick message on which option you prefer, or add a 3rd option (specifically for a flowing conduit block). I'll post back with the winning idea after a couple of days.
    ...How about both? :P
    (And if you want a third option... Some kind of purple wave/plasma-looking energy, or even a red laser beam, inside the pipe.)
    P.S.:
    You can hue shift them yourselves and add them in! :p Custom texture capabilities are there for this very reason. Also... it sort of conforms a little too closely to star trek i think?
    Uh, sort of, but I can think of so many uses outside of Star Trek warp cores... Personally, I want them to put behind metal grilles, combined with lava or red lights, as an ominous and neat-looking wall section. Or, better yet, as weapon barrel or beam array parts. Of doom.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mariux

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    both blue and orange would be good

that way we can have blue go with ice crystals and orange go with lava. hopefully later we can get 1 for each color of hull/crystal

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor

Ps;

You can hue shift them yourselves and add them in! :p Custom texture capabilities are there for this very reason. Also... it sort of conforms a little too closely to star trek i think?
    Yo, I got an idea. Make these conduits have functionality. They'd give a 5% bonus to all blocks touching them, but a ship would have a limited supply of the liquid so you'd have to divert the fluid through the conduits.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yo, I got an idea. Make these conduits have functionality. They'd give a 5% bonus to all blocks touching them, but a ship would have a limited supply of the liquid so you'd have to divert the fluid through the conduits.
    Or give a recharge bonus to jumpdrives (blue liquid). Red liquid could give a DPS bonus to weapons. Still, even if they don't get any functionality, I can still see myself using the tubes a lot for my builds.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yea, i'm going to have to state here and now, these conduits are not designed with anything other than decoration in mind.

Who knows what the future holds; but these are just decorative blocks to help flesh out the amazing RP builds players are capable of.
    As such, i won't be responding to suggestions on gameplay mechanics here. There is a very apt suggestion sub-forum for that :)

Reactions: Lecic

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yea, i'm going to have to state here and now, these conduits are not designed with anything other than decoration in mind.

Who knows what the future holds; but these are just decorative blocks to help flesh out the amazing RP builds players are capable of.
    As such, i won't be responding to suggestions on gameplay mechanics here. There is a very apt suggestion sub-forum for that :)
    Very well.

I really want to build a fluid transport ship with these new decorative blocks...

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Eh, it was worth a shot. In any case, it could have some cool effects on RP servers. Food storage blocks would be nice, to. I'll post a quick suggestion thread about that.