Kupu's thread

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    by explosions do ya mean the explosions that you get when you take someone's shields down and drag AMC's across their hull?
    Pretty sure he means disintegraters.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'd suggest a crate with explosive hex-cells and/or -green or blue- shiny fluid and an "explosive symbol" somewhere on the crate.
    Unbenannt.jpg

Yea, I kinda wanted something that doesn't take of so much space though. :confused: But anyways.
    We should pretend that our player is twice as high and design our ships using twice as many blocks, but half as thick walls.
    That also allows for tech levels^^
    Put glass on the floor to get a higher view point :p

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Get some glowing red parts on it. Like its hot. I think it'd be cool if these bombs were hot looking.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I'd suggest a crate with explosive hex-cells and/or -green or blue- shiny fluid and an "explosive symbol" somewhere on the crate.
    Long time no seen Neon!

I really like that idea. We've already established a rough design for the disintegrator / warhead currently amongst the team already, but this visual got me excited. As and when the right block to warrant this type of design is being implemented i'll bare it in mind.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In case somebody want to do similar:
    1. I have used gimp's the path generator to select the fill-area by drawing one-color lines,
    2. the fill tool with the Walnut+Star-field pattern,
    3. and soften/harden (the water-drop tool) to highlight the explosion on mid.

Perhaps I will play more often soon. I just have PC problems (broken hard-drives and network cables ...)
    It's also the low RP value of the base game which draws on my motivation a bit currently.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If Warheads would be a little more usefull... :P
    I Would love to see player made ICBM :D

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    If Warheads would be a little more usefull... :p
    I Would love to see player made ICBM :D
    You can make ICBMs that loop around planets... It takes a heck of logic and some ship cores as weights inside that get shot by push effect weapons. In the longrun its not worth it until you make a blueprint. You also need the planet size to be about the same, I might just upload a blueprint for you guys...

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    ICBMs? well that's useless, that would just go from 1 planet plate to another, what we need are InterStellar ballistic missiles :P

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    ICBMs? well that's useless, that would just go from 1 planet plate to another, what we need are InterStellar ballistic missiles :p
    True. :P You can make one, if you can aim it ahead enough so that it hits the other planet. :D Now all I need is a laser designator for dis-integrator AI ships... :confused:

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Hello all.

The new UI, as i'm sure you are aware is taking longer than anticipated. I felt a little bad for not being able to show more screens (it's in a real state of flux) so i'll let you in on the next set of texture work and new proposed blocks. I know lots of you love RP and building cool stuff, so more deco blocks is surely a good thing!
    Incase you wonder, this did not take time away from UI development work.

So enough chit chat! Pictures are why you came here!

Scaffolding! Yes.

I am also testing a new damage texture set. Let me know your thoughts.

Changes to the server texture. Animated!

Decorative blocks are quite static currently. I'm hoping to breathe a little life into 1 or 2 of them.
    [Do note before requesting i do this to every / more blocks, they take 4 times the amount of texture space, having to add a new texture sheet will add more yet more occupied VRAM* more on this later.]

Animated deco computer!

This next one is long requested... A conduit, for water / coolant. (Decorative).

So here! Besides the UI this is what is on my desk and being worked. These will be made available before the UI update.

There was a little excitement surrounding the idea of the Mail client being accessible through the Personal Computer block. I'd like to confirm that here. Pressing (R) will being up the Mail UI. Its a great idea. Good one therimmer96

*On VRAM. I'm aware Normal maps are expensive to run currently. Extremely expensive if you run the 256 texture pack. Having them loaded is like running two texture packs at the same time and those 4096x sheets are pretty costly. We plan on testing normal maps at a lower bit depth to see if we can get them looking just as good but save you a huge amount of VRAM space. I'm sure optimisations would be appreciated on the eye candy.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422020992,1422020602][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh i almost forgot... i also have improved the visibility of transparent icons and the clarity of colours on ores and capsules, (orange / yellow).

I found myself annoyed whilst playing the game that those two damn crystal colours are too hard to tell apart!! ...then i realised it was my fault. :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    WOW, so many things, scaffold god yes!!!

That new damage is good but it only look like scratch and not like the block took a shot, maybe a kind of hole showing that the outside has being compromised

The new blocks and animation make my day. Hope to see more news on the GUI soon, but i know you guys are working hard on it.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    There was a little excitement surrounding the idea of the Mail client being accessible through the Personal Computer block. I'd like to confirm that here. Pressing (R) will being up the Mail UI. Its a great idea. Good one therimmer96
    yesh, rest is pretty awesome aswell I guess ;)

That new damage is good but it only look like scratch and not like the block took a shot, maybe a kind of hole showing that the outside has being compromised
    this wouldnt work, cannons that make holes are not the only type of damage out there, I feel holes would look crap on things like missile craters

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    this wouldnt work, cannons that make holes are not the only type of damage out there, I feel holes would look crap on things like missile craters
    Yea, i did try lots of different effects, holes, burning, melting, non tiling designs, tiling designs etc etc... The problem is these need to go over every single block in the game for every damage type in the game. Metal, rock, electronics, wood and so on. Thats quite a troublesome task... I initially implemented the fire overlay because it was visible on all blocks from a distance... although the lack of "cooling" on them over time is a little silly and such a feature would not be implemented for performance reasons i think.

I'm willing to add these new designs in as a temporary measure to see how things play and look for a while.

Reaction score
    I'm diggin' it. Finally! Animated computer(s)!

Yet again, you do a superb job kupu :D

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Actually this is not that bad.

Lasers may hit weak parts of hulls.
    Bullets may hit from an angle
    > Thus both may look very similar and "scratched"

Even for missiles it may look authentic because they may throw metal pieces behind and around the impact point.
    > It just has to look more scratchy.

It would be cool if the texture index would have added i from:
    i : index in [0..3]
    h : horizontal position = x or z
    v : vertical position = y
    i = h `mod` 2 + (v `mod` 2) * 2

mod : (a -> b) -> c
    mod (a < b) = a
    mod a = mod (a - b) b​

Then we would have 4 different damage textures per level for more eye candy jet not as much VRAM load as with 1 texture per block type.

Reaction score
    Actually this is not that bad.

Lasers may hit weak parts of hulls.
    Bullets may hit from an angle
    > Thus both may look very similar and "scratched"

Even for missiles it may look authentic because they may throw metal pieces behind and around the impact point.
    > It just has to look more scratchy.

It would be cool if the texture index would have added i from:
    i : index in [0..3]
    h : horizontal position = x or z
    v : vertical position = y
    i = h `mod` 2 + (v `mod` 2) * 2

mod : (a -> b) -> c
    mod (a < b) = a
    mod a = mod (a - b) b​

Then we would have 4 different damage textures per level for more eye candy jet not as much VRAM load as with 1 texture per block type.
    I have no idea what I just read but I think I get what he's saying and I want it.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hello all.

The new UI, as i'm sure you are aware is taking longer than anticipated. I felt a little bad for not being able to show more screens (it's in a real state of flux) so i'll let you in on the next set of texture work and new proposed blocks. I know lots of you love RP and building cool stuff, so more deco blocks is surely a good thing!
    Incase you wonder, this did not take time away from UI development work.

So enough chit chat! Pictures are why you came here!

Scaffolding! Yes.

I am also testing a new damage texture set. Let me know your thoughts.

Changes to the server texture. Animated!

Decorative blocks are quite static currently. I'm hoping to breathe a little life into 1 or 2 of them.
    [Do note before requesting i do this to every / more blocks, they take 4 times the amount of texture space, having to add a new texture sheet will add more yet more occupied VRAM* more on this later.]

Animated deco computer!

This next one is long requested... A conduit, for water / coolant. (Decorative).

So here! Besides the UI this is what is on my desk and being worked. These will be made available before the UI update.

*On VRAM. I'm aware Normal maps are expensive to run currently. Extremely expensive if you run the 256 texture pack. Having them loaded is like running two texture packs at the same time and those 4096x sheets are pretty costly. We plan on testing normal maps at a lower bit depth to see if we can get them looking just as good but save you a huge amount of VRAM space. I'm sure optimisations would be appreciated on the eye candy.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1422020992,1422020602][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh i almost forgot... i also have improved the visibility of transparent icons and the clarity of colours on ores and capsules, (orange / yellow).

I found myself annoyed whilst playing the game that those two damn crystal colours are too hard to tell apart!! ...then i realised it was my fault. :D
    Love the new animations and the new Damage Texture... OMG Finally! This is probably my one last complaint with the current default textures. The current damage overlay looks far to much like lava and I welcome any change, it already looks good and I'm sure it will look even better before release.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Mail client being accessible through the Personal Computer block. I'd like to confirm that here.
    Does that mean it's the only way now? That would be kinda interesting...