Kupu's thread

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It's an update to the current default pack, so it shouldn't affect the other texture packs I guess

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have a new idea which may be achievable with custom shaders:

As hull has just one colour, it could be greyscale and colourized by a math formula using only one colour-channel and a custom shader.
    This allows 4 LOD levels in the same 256x256 pixels for that block.

Maybe indexed colours.​

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive

As hull has just one colour, it could be greyscale and colourized by a math formula using only one colour-channel and a custom shader.

Maybe indexed colours.​
    This is the common way for this to give ideas; HSL and HSV - Wikipedia

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5

Maybe indexed colours.​
    It could of course help in textures creation automation, but currently Kupu can adjust hull's contrast to make specified colored hull look better.
    You wouldn't have such possibility in system proposed by you.

Last edited:

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    TP not done yet, sending help

A highly trained squad of doriftu kittens was sent to deal with the situation

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    TP not done yet, sending help

A highly trained squad of doriftu kittens was sent to deal with the situation
    Haha! Well remembered.

It is still in progress, however very close to "completion". I think i will have to stagger some of the content. Terrain may not be overhauled when the pack first drops, it would come shortly after.

There is a lot of peripheral work going into this too to make sure the new pack provides some quality of life changes, not just shiny stuff. Things like (yet more) rotation fixes, new icons, more models and more animated blocks etc are all planned for this vast overhaul.

I still hope to have it release in our next big update.

I've not worked it out completely... but i think there is close to 3000 textures created in this update when counting our normal maps etc. :O

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Haha! Well remembered.

It is still in progress, however very close to "completion". I think i will have to stagger some of the content. Terrain may not be overhauled when the pack first drops, it would come shortly after.

There is a lot of peripheral work going into this too to make sure the new pack provides some quality of life changes, not just shiny stuff. Things like (yet more) rotation fixes, new icons, more models and more animated blocks etc are all planned for this vast overhaul.

I've not worked it out completely... but i think there is close to 3000 textures created in this update when counting our normal maps etc. :O
    Wow, truly impressive. Does this mean girders will receive the missing orientations?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Haha! Well remembered.

No new schineys to appease us until we next get restless? It's like you don't love us :'(

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    No new schineys to appease us until we next get restless? It's like you don't love us :'(
    :O Nothing but love for you miscreants.

if the embed fails : gfycat.com/WarlikeEasyAquaticleech for higher res version.

It's not much, but hopefully it shows the differences in materials. Shiny metal shines, dull metal doesn't. Crevices and parts of the block that would naturally occlude light no longer blast back shiny reflections.

No more shiny dark joints in bits that look shadowy. This will again help reduce the "plastic mold" look.

EDIT: Rail blocks, like a few others are almost identical in design to avoid any mistakes when the new pack rolls out.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Those pulse modules look waaay better. I was hoping for some emmisives on them though.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    :O Nothing but love for you miscreants.

if the embed fails : gfycat.com/WarlikeEasyAquaticleech for higher res version.

It's not much, but hopefully it shows the differences in materials. Shiny metal shines, dull metal doesn't. Crevices and parts of the block that would naturally occlude light no longer blast back shiny reflections.

No more shiny dark joints in bits that look shadowy. This will again help reduce the "plastic mold" look.
    Ooooh, Astrotech beam conduits look nice now. I will miss the metal grilles on top, though... Those made them really nice for in-floor details.

Reactions: nightrune