Kupu's thread

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I've fixed loads of annoying textural issues, overhauling loads of blocks, making new blocks, baked a complete new set of normals and i'm not even at 25% of our final form!!
    So today we are sitting at around 50, maybe 60%.

Fresh off the press, a very rough WiP. I don't suppose it needs much explaining? You shouldn't have to use a flashlight to see you're computer screens eh?

Time to fix a brew and get drawing.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    neat - we looking at emission layers here, i assume?
    Correct! You know when idea's start to snowball? ... i think that 50 - 60% estimation was a tad high. We could be providing a little more along with it. ^^

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Correct! You know when idea's start to snowball? ... i think that 50 - 60% estimation was a tad high. We could be providing a little more along with it. ^^
    sounds like one of those projects that will never be done :P
    You will end up always finding new things to add

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    These emission layers would look pretty sweet on ships inside dark docking bays! :) Is the liquid coolant pipe going to have glowing liquid?

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Alright, i sort of lied. I will stagger the release of new textural works.

So what are we getting in the new Shipyard update?
    • Cleaner PlexDoor texture.
    • Cleaner Metal Mesh texture.
    • Revised computer back face.
    • Revised Effect module tessellation.
    • Revised Factory textures to fit the same theme as Shipyard blocks.
    • New Motherboard textures.
    • New Circuit textures.
    • New Charged Circuit textures.
    • New Decorative Fan texture.
    • New Shipyard Computer / Shipyard Module / Shipyard Core Anchor textures.

The cleaner textures are something i'll be doing more of in the future after testing the results. It's essentially reducing the heavy, metal "noise" textures. The more noise present, the more compression artefacts we get.

Effect modules now have a tiling pattern that makes sense. 3 canisters per face. No more half on, half off funny business.
    "LOL, why did it take you so long to realise this?" i hear you shout? God knows. Can't see the wood for the trees. ^^

Motherboards, Circuits and Charged circuits sucked. There. I said it.
    I've not been happy with those textures for months now, but i spent a few sleepless nights getting them fixed up because i love you all too much.

You asked, you recieved. A decorative fan block. Shoutout to mrsinister that gave a really nice example of how a 6 bladed fan would give the illusion of spinning faster in 4 frames of animation.

Texture padding! I'm now using a more effective way of padding our textures. This way those pesky white / black seams on the blocks edge are no longer visible. (I don't mean jaggy edges, just the bleeding colour). They were particularly bad when normal maps were enabled... not anymore! All gone. This is perhaps (for me) the best part of this update. Subtle, but a much needed quality improvement.

New normal maps. I posted a shot of them in progress a few weeks back. More accurate maps not only for better quality visuals but as a precursor to new graphical options. These are new... as such if you find any oddities send me a PM or post a message here.

[New on the left, old on the right]

On to the good stuff. Shipyard textures. I had some serious fun making these. So much that it's inspired a whole host of future textural options and potential lore that can tie into some other projects that are in the works.

Yup. That's a maker's mark on the new build block.

That's all for now... although some pretty cool things are in the near future.
    Heya, Thanks for the kind words!! ;) sorry, I am a bit late on the reply, lol I am still unpacking after moving into my new house...keep up the outstanding work as per the norm!!

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    So today we are sitting at around 50, maybe 60%.

Fresh off the press, a very rough WiP. I don't suppose it needs much explaining? You shouldn't have to use a flashlight to see you're computer screens eh?

Time to fix a brew and get drawing.
    I came here to post that we need this... I'm happy.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I have found something that really puts me off black armor.

From this distance the black standard on the left is noticeably 8 bit and the black on the right side of the airlock looks weird and speckled.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations

From this distance the black standard on the left is noticeably 8 bit and the black on the right side of the airlock looks weird and speckled.
    Have never personally experienced that before. Is there a setting that would cause that?

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Community Content - Silver 2

What resolution texture pack are you running Perhaps that will help. Also woooooo for using my ship as evidence xD

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Legacy Citizen 10

This bug has been reported and is currently being looked into as I too, among others, are experiencing this. Its bug T538 in the tracker.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Version? Normal mapping on? Any artefacts on any other non hull blocks? Do you get the same distortions when using the Pixel pack?

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Version? Normal mapping on? Any artefacts on any other non hull blocks? Do you get the same distortions when using the Pixel pack?
    Latest released build

The same thing occurs with grey but is far less noticeable.

Normal Mapping off.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    I maybe wrong but, I'm pretty sure that's what it looks like when you have texture compression on.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Latest released build
    The same thing occurs with grey but is far less noticeable.
    Normal Mapping off.
    Thanks for the info, Thadius. I've not experienced this myself... nor have the team. It's quite possibly a result of the additions to the shaders as it seems some certain cards suddenly experienced graphical bugs where there were none before.

It's on the tracker so the testers will be sure to check it out, i'll have a look into it too.

I maybe wrong but, I'm pretty sure that's what it looks like when you have texture compression on.
    Texture compression does degrade the black colours and fuzzy them up, but never to to this level. :( This looks like an actual bug.

Small status update on other bugs brought to my attention;
    Advanced Armour tiled harshly when viewed from a "middle" distance. (Just before it switches to the lower res for mipmapping).

This was caused by the new bleeds (which worked great close up) but not when so far away on the hull blocks.
    I've fixed this and managed to get a seamless block at any distance. No white / black seams at hyper-close ups. No dark pattern when from afar. It's been really busy texture wise... i'll try get this new textures to you all asap. Adv' Armour is looking a little rough lately.

Reactions: Reilly Reese
    Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    i noticed something while making my custom pack and assumed i was crazy, but now i don't think i am:

the cross-hatch-and-bolt patterns on red advanced armor in t000.png are one pixel to the right vs. the other advanced armors! the overall block holder frame is the same, though. hardly a big issue, but it did catch my eye:

included a blown up GIF of orange adv. armor comparison to show you what i mean:

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    i noticed something while making my custom pack and assumed i was crazy, but now i don't think i am...
    Thanks :) So many texture things in the works currently... easy to miss things like this.

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Thanks :) So many texture things in the works currently... easy to miss things like this.
    anytime. i can only imagine. a sheet of 256s and the accompanying block config nearly killed me and i was cannibalizing quite a bit of your work to do it! i have said so before, but the seamless improvements over the last year to the game's look and feel (while not sacrificing a lick of readability) has been a real triumph and you are due a lot of credit for that. as someone who hated texture packs beyond 16px in minecraft, you've made me a true believer in higher resolution cubes. can't wait to play with the emission maps!